Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best All Weather Tyres

We installed CrossClimate SUV last year - about 20.000km ago. They're a pleasure compared drive - less noise than the original Hankook and better handling (going from standard 16" to 18") - plus better comfort. We haven't had real winter this year in Denmark so I can't comment on handling in snow (yet).

I chose a different size: 235/50 R18 101 (I know many people prefer 103, but 101 is within specs). The reason for this choice was to lower RPM as they are slightly larger than original where the 245 are slightly smaller.

I have just got hold of 18” Sportline wheels and looking to furnish them with all weather tyres. Having read various threads, Mitchelin CrossClimate + and Bridgestone Weather control A005 seem to get mentioned a lot, but which is the best? Having looked online the cheapest price I can find for 255/45 18R 103Y for each type brings the Bridgestone tyres in at about £50 cheaper per tyre (£200 per set), which naturally is leaning me towards the Bridgestones. But is this a false economy? Are the CrossClimate tyres that much better and/or will they last longer? Are there other All weather tyres that I should be looking at? Has anyone managed to find the Bridgestone A005 tyres for less than £127 recently? As ever any help and advice would be really appreciated.
I had a pair of CrossClimates a couple of years ago. Initially I thought they were brilliant, excellent grip in all weathers. But the rubber is so soft and they only lasted a year. You need to make sure you get Michelin "Agilis" CrossClimate as the "Agilis" is a commercial tyre
I've fitted Goodyear Marathon Cargo tyres now and had them on a year, at a fraction of the CrossClimates price - with the climate getting warmer, how often in the UK do we need "all weather" tyres?

I had a pair of CrossClimates a couple of years ago. Initially I thought they were brilliant, excellent grip in all weathers. But the rubber is so soft and they only lasted a year. You need to make sure you get Michelin "Agilis" CrossClimate as the "Agilis" is a commercial tyre
I've fitted Goodyear Marathon Cargo tyres now and had them on a year, at a fraction of the CrossClimates price - with the climate getting warmer, how often in the UK do we need "all weather" tyres?
This view contrary to many of the experiences shared here. Many have reported wonderful life from the Crossclimate + and the Crossclimate SUV. Also, going the Agilis route brings much higher load ratings and harsher ride.

This view contrary to many of the experiences shared here. Many have reported wonderful life from the Crossclimate + and the Crossclimate SUV. Also, going the Agilis route brings much higher load ratings and harsher ride.
Yes, @Geesvw does seem to have a different view to many on here. Makes the decision on which way to go that bit harder, but still erring towards the CrossClimate +. Sadly at the moment there is no need to rush to buy unless of course an irresistible deal comes around.

If I am honest I don’t fully understand the various different sizes and options, I was just going by the size VW recommend for the 18” rims.
Some reading to pass the time>
Tyre size options on 18", and other wheel sizes, but 18" especially are governed by the weight of the Cali which requires a minimum of a 101 load rating.
Load rating increases by 25kgs per digit, ie 101=825kgs, 102=850kgs, 103=875 kgs etc. Multiply that figure by 2 for the axle load capacity and again by 2 for total vehicle weight capacity. You should always have a safety margin to allow for weight transfer when cornering or braking not to mention potholes and kerb mounting.

You can go up in load rating legally but not down. Commercial VW van may have up to 117 load rated tyre fitted.

The Sportline rim will be probably be 8" wide. VW dealers supplied these with 235/50/18 101 tyres, probably because that is a cheaper tyre than a 255/45/18 103.
235/50 and 255/45 give very similar circumference to a 235/55/17 tyre. The 255/45 has slightly less resulting in road speed being less than indicated. The 50 and 45 figures are the sidewall height/profile as a percentage of the width. As the tyre width increases the profile must reduce to keep the circumference equal.

A 255 being wider will give better rim protection than a 235 against kerbing.

The 235/55/18 104 size is mainly made for the SUV market and is in my view a suitable alternative as SUV tyres have stronger sidewalls and the tread design copes with mud and stone clearing out better than normal road only designed treads. They also have a bigger range of Manufacturers and tread designs than the 255/45/18 103 tyre. Cheaper as well plus the actual road speed and indicated speed are pretty close.
VW Factory sized tyres usually have 2 or more MPH error at 70MPH. Indicated 70 but only about 68MPH road speed. Good for a camera safety margin, 235/55 has no safety margin other than not going over indicated speed.
I also like the increased sidewall for dealing with our potholed roads.

Tyres are a personal choice ultimately.

One to consider is the Pirelli Seal Inside as it is a bit of insurance if no matching spare carried.
Incidentally I have an 18" rim with a 235/55/18 tyre fitted that fits in the spare rack. Was a trial but stuck to 17" wheels in the end.

Some reading to pass the time>
Tyre size options on 18", and other wheel sizes, but 18" especially are governed by the weight of the Cali which requires a minimum of a 101 load rating.
Load rating increases by 25kgs per digit, ie 101=825kgs, 102=850kgs, 103=875 kgs etc. Multiply that figure by 2 for the axle load capacity and again by 2 for total vehicle weight capacity. You should always have a safety margin to allow for weight transfer when cornering or braking not to mention potholes and kerb mounting.

You can go up in load rating legally but not down. Commercial VW van may have up to 117 load rated tyre fitted.

The Sportline rim will be probably be 8" wide. VW dealers supplied these with 235/50/18 101 tyres, probably because that is a cheaper tyre than a 255/45/18 103.
235/50 and 255/45 give very similar circumference to a 235/55/17 tyre. The 255/45 has slightly less resulting in road speed being less than indicated. The 50 and 45 figures are the sidewall height/profile as a percentage of the width. As the tyre width increases the profile must reduce to keep the circumference equal.

A 255 being wider will give better rim protection than a 235 against kerbing.

The 235/55/18 104 size is mainly made for the SUV market and is in my view a suitable alternative as SUV tyres have stronger sidewalls and the tread design copes with mud and stone clearing out better than normal road only designed treads. They also have a bigger range of Manufacturers and tread designs than the 255/45/18 103 tyre. Cheaper as well plus the actual road speed and indicated speed are pretty close.
VW Factory sized tyres usually have 2 or more MPH error at 70MPH. Indicated 70 but only about 68MPH road speed. Good for a camera safety margin, 235/55 has no safety margin other than not going over indicated speed.
I also like the increased sidewall for dealing with our potholed roads.

Tyres are a personal choice ultimately.

One to consider is the Pirelli Seal Inside as it is a bit of insurance if no matching spare carried.
Incidentally I have an 18" rim with a 235/55/18 tyre fitted that fits in the spare rack. Was a trial but stuck to 17" wheels in the end.

It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge people are willing to share on this forum and your post is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain. The Pirelli’s look interesting. Is that what you have got? If so what is the wear like and how have you found them in different conditions?
I naively thought that as the rim got bigger the tyre wall depth would have to reduce to compensate and keep the overall diameter similar. My current 17” rims are fitted with 235/55 and I assumed I would have to fit a lower profile 45 on an 18” rim.
Does the width of the tread impact how the tyres perform - so for instance I had assumed a 255 will have more surface area in contact with the road surface than a 235, is this correct/improve performance?

I have the mk1 sportlines fitted in summer and are indeed on 235-50s
I didn't know that i could go for 255-45s. I will look into it when i need
new ones, thanks for that info.

Although my 235-50s look chunky enough.

It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge people are willing to share on this forum and your post is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain. The Pirelli’s look interesting. Is that what you have got? If so what is the wear like and how have you found them in different conditions?
I naively thought that as the rim got bigger the tyre wall depth would have to reduce to compensate and keep the overall diameter similar. My current 17” rims are fitted with 235/55 and I assumed I would have to fit a lower profile 45 on an 18” rim.
Does the width of the tread impact how the tyres perform - so for instance I had assumed a 255 will have more surface area in contact with the road surface than a 235, is this correct/improve performance?
Yes profile reduces with tyre width. The sidewall height remains the same if the circumference is duplicated between a 235/50/18 and a 255/45/18, 235/55/18 will be more than those. 117.5, 114.75 and 129.25mm.

Pirelli Seal Inside tyre has recently come onto the market, after I fitted Nokian Weatherproof tyres. Always the way, once you buy something a new product comes on the market.

In reality tyre footprint remains the same despite increasing the width. Less fore and aft contact. Load and tyre inflation pressure can vary the contact.
I've read various professional tests/trials confirming this. You do get improved cornering ability but with more aquaplaning risk in very wet conditions. drag also increases with width.

I've noticed on some tyres that a 255 tyre has no more rubber on the road than a 235 one. More air gap between the tread blocks.

No easy answer to which is best.

Yes profile reduces with tyre width. The sidewall height remains the same if the circumference is duplicated between a 235/50/18 and a 255/45/18, 235/55/18 will be more than those. 117.5, 114.75 and 129.25mm.

Pirelli Seal Inside tyre has recently come onto the market, after I fitted Nokian Weatherproof tyres. Always the way, once you buy something a new product comes on the market.

In reality tyre footprint remains the same despite increasing the width. Less fore and aft contact. Load and tyre inflation pressure can vary the contact.
I've read various professional tests/trials confirming this. You do get improved cornering ability but with more aquaplaning risk in very wet conditions. drag also increases with width.

I've noticed on some tyres that a 255 tyre has no more rubber on the road than a 235 one. More air gap between the tread blocks.

No easy answer to which is best.
Thank you

Change the wheels to fit a BFG KO2. These are simply the best tyres available by far.

Tyres are more important that wheels!

Change the wheels to fit a BFG KO2. These are simply the best tyres available by far.

Just looked at them, they have got a serious tread pattern! Too late though already purchased Sportline 18” rims and Cross Climates, which I am confident will be better than the ones VW fit when the leave the factory.

A case of horses for courses as the BFG K02 is a 50% off-road and 50% road design tyre and most Cali's would do only a maximum of 5% off-road they wouldn't be the best tyre for everyone's needs. The K02 isn't available as a standard fit for 17" or 18" wheels.

Fortunately there is a pretty wide wide range of manufacturers and tyre designs available for any owner to home in on one for their individual requirements.

A case of horses for courses as the BFG K02 is a 50% off-road and 50% road design tyre and most Cali's would do only a maximum of 5% off-road they wouldn't be the best tyre for everyone's needs. The K02 isn't available as a standard fit for 17" or 18" wheels.

Fortunately there is a pretty wide wide range of manufacturers and tyre designs available for any owner to home in on one for their individual requirements.
I agree, and they drink fuel and have high noise. I've listed the figures here somewhere here in the past, but easily found on the web).

There is a useful feature on the Oponeo website that lets you find equivalent and alternative tyre sizes, showing the diameter delta.

296B5C96-FE87-4298-95C5-C5A6482B4A25.jpeg

Just checking that everyone realises that 235/55/18 is by no means the correct tyre to be starting a comparison from? 235/55/17 is the neutral circumference that Cali's are designed with (or if you prefer 215/60/17).

What do you think the noise will be like on these :)
View attachment 60092
probably akin to the sound that Military vehicles used to make, certainly no use for stealth camping.

Actually tyres that wide are useless in soft snow. Desert sand or sandy beaches - yes.

Very exhaustive test now available below:

Not all may be available in sizes to suit the Cali, but a very useful video.

Hi, I need advice please, I'm changing two front tyres that have worn away on the outside rim leaving the middle nearly new. I went to three different tyre centres & got three different answers on what was the cause.
1, you have a car tyre on a van & this always happens with power steering.
2, tyres need aligning, but he would have to check first.
3, under inflation.
The tyres are correct for the van, I'm thinking under inflation & probably aligning needed.
My question is what pressures are people using?
Tyres that are worn were 235/50zr18/ 101w Davanti price £100 each.
The tyres I'm getting Michelin C/Climate same size £160 each.
I've been inflating the front 46ps & back 48 ps.
We are two medium sized adults with the usual camping gear nothing out the ordinary. The pressures on door side have not got my size tyre on so went for the nearest to my size 17.
Any advice welcomed, thanks.

Hi, I need advice please, I'm changing two front tyres that have worn away on the outside rim leaving the middle nearly new. I went to three different tyre centres & got three different answers on what was the cause.
1, you have a car tyre on a van & this always happens with power steering.
2, tyres need aligning, but he would have to check first.
3, under inflation.
The tyres are correct for the van, I'm thinking under inflation & probably aligning needed.
My question is what pressures are people using?
Tyres that are worn were 235/50zr18/ 101w Davanti price £100 each.
The tyres I'm getting Michelin C/Climate same size £160 each.
I've been inflating the front 46ps & back 48 ps.
We are two medium sized adults with the usual camping gear nothing out the ordinary. The pressures on door side have not got my size tyre on so went for the nearest to my size 17.
Any advice welcomed, thanks.

Check the load rating on the cross climates you are getting, 101 is too low for a cali.

Compared to the info on my door pillar the fronts are about right pressure & the rears if anything are low.

How many miles have the fronts done? outside edge only is normally down to cornering / roundabouts, combined with a low load rating could easily see them wearing quickly.