Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best All Weather Tyres

Hi, I need advice please, I'm changing two front tyres that have worn away on the outside rim leaving the middle nearly new. I went to three different tyre centres & got three different answers on what was the cause.
1, you have a car tyre on a van & this always happens with power steering.
2, tyres need aligning, but he would have to check first.
3, under inflation.
The tyres are correct for the van, I'm thinking under inflation & probably aligning needed.
My question is what pressures are people using?
Tyres that are worn were 235/50zr18/ 101w Davanti price £100 each.
The tyres I'm getting Michelin C/Climate same size £160 each.
I've been inflating the front 46ps & back 48 ps.
We are two medium sized adults with the usual camping gear nothing out the ordinary. The pressures on door side have not got my size tyre on so went for the nearest to my size 17.
Any advice welcomed, thanks.
255/45/18 103V is VW factory fit. 235/55/18 104V in an SUV version is also better for load rating. Speedo will be giving close to 100% accuracy. 235/55 also cheaper than 255/45 plus greater range of brands.

Check the load rating on the cross climates you are getting, 101 is too low for a cali.

Compared to the info on my door pillar the fronts are about right pressure & the rears if anything are low.

How many miles have the fronts done? outside edge only is normally down to cornering / roundabouts, combined with a low load rating could easily see them wearing quickly.
Hi Andy, can't be sure abt miles but not many, had them abt 2.5 yrs, they were worn inside & outside edge.

255/45/18 103V is VW factory fit. 235/55/18 104V in an SUV version is also better for load rating. Speedo will be giving close to 100% accuracy. 235/55 also cheaper than 255/45 plus greater range of brands.
If you do a tyre size comparison using the VW stated size of 255/45/18 the 235/55/18 does not come up as a recommended alternative as it is 4% or so larger in diameter. Is this still ok do you think? Asking as I’ve been looking into which tyres to get next, need a full set!
The advice on the tyre comparison sites is stick to within +1.5 to -2%

Check the load rating on the cross climates you are getting, 101 is too low for a cali.

Compared to the info on my door pillar the fronts are about right pressure & the rears if anything are low.

How many miles have the fronts done? outside edge only is normally down to cornering / roundabouts, combined with a low load rating could easily see them wearing quickly.
Hi Andy, the ones they have fitted are 101XL, which he said were fine, lets hope fingers crossed.

Hi Andy, the ones they have fitted are 101XL, which he said were fine, lets hope fingers crossed.

What does your sticker say on the door pillar ? I don't recall ever seeing a cali with anything less than a 103 rating. If yours is a T5 it May well be significantly lighter & therefore have lighter duty tyres specified.

It is my understanding that the door pillar sticker reflects all the sizes and ratings that are listed on the particular vehicles certificate of conformity - ie all those approved by VW.

Note particularly on the 17' 215 tyres if its T rated for speed it needs to be 109 load rating but that drops to 104 load if the speed rating is at H
So it would appear that the required load rating is not just the axle weights that are taken into account when specifying what are acceptable tyres.

I would be happy to add a margin of safety by going to a higher rating but not to fit something that was lower.

IMG_2512.jpg

Last edited:
If you do a tyre size comparison using the VW stated size of 255/45/18 the 235/55/18 does not come up as a recommended alternative as it is 4% or so larger in diameter. Is this still ok do you think? Asking as I’ve been looking into which tyres to get next, need a full set!
The advice on the tyre comparison sites is stick to within +1.5 to -2%
They will be OK and the speedo will not have any error, possibly road speed between 0 and 1mph faster than indicated.

These have been used by others with no issues.
It is 3.7% diameter more than a standard 235/55/17.
255/45/18 is 0.7% less than a 235/55/17

I'm running 235/60/17 which is 3.3% bigger diameter than a 55 with no negatives, actually positives as ability to deal with potholes in terms of noise and vibration has improved noticeably. Do have to get used to not going over indicated speeds.
Fills the arches more.

Hi, I need advice please, I'm changing two front tyres that have worn away on the outside rim leaving the middle nearly new. I went to three different tyre centres & got three different answers on what was the cause.
1, you have a car tyre on a van & this always happens with power steering.
2, tyres need aligning, but he would have to check first.
3, under inflation.
The tyres are correct for the van, I'm thinking under inflation & probably aligning needed.
My question is what pressures are people using?
Tyres that are worn were 235/50zr18/ 101w Davanti price £100 each.
The tyres I'm getting Michelin C/Climate same size £160 each.
I've been inflating the front 46ps & back 48 ps.
We are two medium sized adults with the usual camping gear nothing out the ordinary. The pressures on door side have not got my size tyre on so went for the nearest to my size 17.
Any advice welcomed, thanks.
Load rating of 101 is 825kgs which gives 1650kgs per axle.
My T6 front axle is rated at 1620kgs.
the 101 would only have a safety margin of 30kgs or 15kgs per tyre, virtually none.

I wouldn't go lower than 103 as per VW factory spec. More if possible.
I've got 106 load rated tyres.

They will be OK and the speedo will not have any error, possibly road speed between 0 and 1mph faster than indicated.

These have been used by others with no issues.
It is 3.7% diameter more than a standard 235/55/17.
255/45/18 is 0.7% less than a 235/55/17

I'm running 235/60/17 which is 3.3% bigger diameter than a 55 with no negatives, actually positives as ability to deal with potholes in terms of noise and vibration has improved noticeably. Do have to get used to not going over indicated speeds.
Fills the arches more.
Thanks, but I think I’ll stick with the size as per VW door plate spec.
don’t have much more room in my arches anyway, so no need to add a cm or so in dia on the tyres!

What does your sticker say on the door pillar ? I don't recall ever seeing a cali with anything less than a 103 rating. If yours is a T5 it May well be significantly lighter & therefore have lighter duty tyres specified.

It is my understanding that the door pillar sticker reflects all the sizes and ratings that are listed on the particular vehicles certificate of conformity - ie all those approved by VW.

Note particularly on the 17' 215 tyres if its T rated for speed it needs to be 109 load rating but that drops to 104 load if the speed rating is at H
So it would appear that the required load rating is not just the axle weights that are taken into account when specifying what are acceptable tyres.

I would be happy to add a margin of safety by going to a higher rating but not to fit something that was lower.

View attachment 74237
Hi Andy, it's a T5 but with 18 rim the owner before me must have changed them, the C/Climate I want were the Agilis but they don't do my size, so these were what he advised.Thanks for the advice.IMG_20210226_161243476.jpg

Hi Andy, it's a T5 but with 18 rim the owner before me must have changed them, the C/Climate I want were the Agilis but they don't do my size, so these were what he advised.Thanks for the advice.View attachment 74322
Excuse butting in .
825kgs is coded as a 101 load rating or 1650kgs per axle.

Not sure what your T5 axle load is on the VIN Plate but my T6 Front is 1620kgs which with those tyres would technically be legal but with only a safety margin of 15kgs per tyre I wouldn't fit them.

These would be to the VW spec.

pity this USA version doesn't seem to be available here

We have 4 Bridgestones Potenza S001 235/55 17 W XL on the Cali. Annoyingly we need to replace one front tire that has worn on the outside edge so we would like to replace the front 2 tyres. Even more annoying it seems that the above tyres are no longer available. We can go with a pair of Brdigestone AO D-sport that are V rated.
Are there any issues anyone can forsee with these tyres?
I would rather have a matched set but the back tyres are OK!

We have 4 Bridgestones Potenza S001 235/55 17 W XL on the Cali. Annoyingly we need to replace one front tire that has worn on the outside edge so we would like to replace the front 2 tyres. Even more annoying it seems that the above tyres are no longer available. We can go with a pair of Brdigestone AO D-sport that are V rated.
Are there any issues anyone can forsee with these tyres?
I would rather have a matched set but the back tyres are OK!
On 2WD you should fit the best tyres to the rear.
On 4WD I think you are supposed to use a matched set of tyres.

On 2WD you should fit the best tyres to the rear.
On 4WD I think you are supposed to use a matched set of tyres.
We do have 4motion, it's interesting to hear you say that a matched set is best. Can't face buying 4 new when 2 are good and 1 is ok!

We do have 4motion, it's interesting to hear you say that a matched set is best. Can't face buying 4 new when 2 are good and 1 is ok!
I’m sure you won’t be the first or last. I don’t think it’s illegal to mix tyres, just not optimal.

I’m sure you won’t be the first or last. I don’t think it’s illegal to mix tyres, just not optimal.
My VW centre put two new tyres on the front of my 4 motion Cali and i still have the original factory tyres on the rear - so I don’t think its illegal just very preferable.
i kick myself because it happened in middle of lockdown and i always promised myself a nice set of all weathers - hey ho

CrossClimate 2

Consider braking in a slight corner on wet or slippery surfaces, if the rear end loses grip before the front you will go spinning. The best grip tires ALWAYS on the rear, regardless of front, rear or 4wd.

Possibly due to the fact that they are not sold as Off Road tyres?
Mine performed very well in Norway, last year, on snow covered roads in the far north.
Yes I understand, I’m just trying to find the best all season/ all weather/ all terrain tires 255/45r18 but it’s really hard.
CrossClimate sound good but I also want to go semi off-road now and then and read the CrossClimate bad even on campgrounds/wet grass ‍♂️
I might have to get new 17” wheels to find the right combination

Yes I understand, I’m just trying to find the best all season/ all weather/ all terrain tires 255/45r18 but it’s really hard.
CrossClimate sound good but I also want to go semi off-road now and then and read the CrossClimate bad even on campgrounds/wet grass ‍♂️
All I can say is that is not my experience with them on wet grass or forestry tracks although I do have a 4Motion, and 17" wheels .

All I can say is that is not my experience with them on wet grass or forestry tracks although I do have a 4Motion, and 17" wheels .
Interesting about the wet grass but the sides are not protected and tests also gives bad scores for off-road ‍♂️
I also drive 4Motion, but if I new how difficult it would be to find AT tires for 18” I would have ordered 17” from new

I would assume that the market for the relatively low 45 profile 18" used by the Cali isn't commercially viable for tyre manufacturers to develop/produce.

235/55/18 may provide a more suitable option for offroad use.

255/60/18 is normally (or was) used by 4x4 vehicles.

I would assume that the market for the relatively low 45 profile 18" used by the Cali isn't commercially viable for tyre manufacturers to develop/produce.

235/55/18 may provide a more suitable option for offroad use.

255/60/18 is normally (or was) used by 4x4 vehicles.
Yes but will not fit a Cali unless its lifted , I think it has to be 225/60r17 before you can make a normal turn

Yes but will not fit a Cali unless its lifted , I think it has to be 225/60r17 before you can make a normal turn
Yes 235/55/18 will fit standard hieght and lowered by up to 50mm.

255/60/18 has been fitted to Transporter vans but I tried a test fit but found, as expected, a critical lack of clearances which ruled that size out for me.

Tyre size and tread type are constantly evolving.