Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best barbecue?

+1 also for the Flat X type. We use one in Oz for tent camping. Packs away to nothing in a vehicle. Like you we use coals and then after dinner sit around putting wood on it.
Its strong enough to support a good size Iron camp oven for roasting too.
In Oz we paid about $25 which at the time was about £15.
Your link shows £38 which is extortionately priced I highly recommend them but I would shop around for a better price.

Yes, agree, £38 seems pricey as other versions are available cheaper, but I was just after the image of the Outwell one as that is what we have and it has lasted very well. I cannot remember what we paid for ours, but I think it was closer to £20-25 in a camping shop - as an inpulse purchase in that excited 'want to buy accessories phase'! Now I just want the chance to go to a campsite and use it all! Lockdown blues!!!!

+1 also for the Flat X type. We use one in Oz for tent camping. Packs away to nothing in a vehicle. Like you we use coals and then after dinner sit around putting wood on it.
Its strong enough to support a good size Iron camp oven for roasting too.
In Oz we paid about $25 which at the time was about £15.
Your link shows £38 which is extortionately priced I highly recommend them but I would shop around for a better price.

CampandFly - how is the feeling 'on the ground' in Cornwall about Dveon and Cornwall re-opening for visitors? On the one hand you would think the area needs tourism but on the other it doesn't have the infastructure (hospitals) to deal with the extra cases that hoardes of normal summer visitors could bring? With 'Staycations' being the most likely type of holiday this year, I can see D&C being overrun if we get release from lockdown and good weather...

CampandFly - how is the feeling 'on the ground' in Cornwall about Dveon and Cornwall re-opening for visitors? On the one hand you would think the area needs tourism but on the other it doesn't have the infastructure (hospitals) to deal with the extra cases that hoardes of normal summer visitors could bring? With 'Staycations' being the most likely type of holiday this year, I can see D&C being overrun if we get release from lockdown and good weather...
A tip with the X fold BBQ. We bought an aerosol tin of cheap cooking oil. After you have used your BBQ a quick spray and wipe off the excess and it does not go rusty.

Re opening Cornwall for Tourism is going to be tricky. As Cornwall could be inundated with UK travellers who cannot or prefer not to go overseas. It will have to happen at some point and we will have to take it day by day and hope it does not get out of control. At the moment its seems like Treliske although not a big facility has been well prepared. We have~400 cases in Cornwall zero where I live but nearby villages have a few cases.

I’ve been using a cheap folding BBQ for years that is effective because you can adjust the height of the grill. Remove the grill and throw in some logs and it allows a camp fire with zero scorched earth.

95D42BA3-4696-4832-BFA4-D70590D77A54.jpeg
It is a bit bulky when packed away though. So I’ve been looking at options. An option I have found that is made by a small business in the U.K. from stainless steel is at the link and screen shot below. It is designed to fold up small and go in an adventure bike pannier, so should fit in the Cali just fine I’ve just ordered one and will report how it works out.

216DD6DA-FF97-476C-BE54-129E0897B6C9.jpeg

I’ve been using a cheap folding BBQ for years that is effective because you can adjust the height of the grill. Remove the grill and throw in some logs and it allows a camp fire with zero scorched earth.

View attachment 63206
It is a bit bulky when packed away though. So I’ve been looking at options. An option I have found that is made by a small business in the U.K. from stainless steel is at the link and screen shot below. It is designed to fold up small and go in an adventure bike pannier, so should fit in the Cali just fine I’ve just ordered one and will report how it works out.

View attachment 63207
First impressions of the Cymarc Bike Parts flat pack Firepit/BBQ which arrived today about a 10 days after ordering:
High quality materials: stainless steel throughout.
Excellent finish: All CNC laser cut, no rough edges or sharp pieces. Looks beautiful out of the box.
Clever design: packs down to a surprisingly compact size. Relatively lightweight while feeling solid and sturdy. No effect to the ground below from the heat in the fire pit. When grilling, it is possible to remove a few of the grill pieces to add more fuel but the food remains close to the heat source and this is not adjustable.

I have added some thin cotton between the separate pieces of stainless steel to help prevent rattling and I think I’ll make a canvas bag to put it in to stop it sliding around when driving and potentially damaging anything vulnerable near by.

I’ll give an update on what it’s like to collapse, clean and store after I’ve cooked a burger.

AE92B3AD-5438-4383-9F67-7B6212884FF5.jpeg3FB78F75-A258-4BB4-81F4-6F9F97AB4EE5.jpeg
1D924EDB-02C1-4470-8427-5D51CA351BA5.jpegF457772B-2C6A-4016-B266-F091F2D62CCA.jpegB755E04C-2F3F-4A8F-81C4-A79EA99F8373.jpeg752F41EB-87D0-4450-9534-F94EFE91A80A.jpeg6B5A4662-30EE-4391-B8DE-07E72C05E25F.jpeg0EB47F52-F123-4F2E-BE0B-D1521EAD16E2.jpeg39175771-8E17-42CA-93A6-F01B26B7DE3F.jpegDA890A04-5E0D-4961-96D2-9394DEF2CEA2.jpeg

First impressions of the Cymarc Bike Parts flat pack Firepit/BBQ which arrived today about a 10 days after ordering:
Excellent finish: All CNC laser cut, no rough edges or sharp pieces. Looks beautiful out of the box.
Clever design: packs down to a surprisingly compact size. Relatively lightweight while feeling solid and sturdy. No effect to the ground below from the heat in the fire pit. When grilling, it is possible to remove a few of the grill pieces to add more fuel but the food remains close to the heat source and this is not adjustable.

I have added some thin cotton between the separate pieces of stainless steel to help prevent rattling and I think I’ll make a canvas bag to put it in to stop it sliding around when driving and potentially damaging anything vulnerable near by.

I’ll give an update on what it’s like to collapse, clean and store after I’ve cooked a burger.

View attachment 63901View attachment 63902
View attachment 63904View attachment 63905View attachment 63906View attachment 63907View attachment 63908View attachment 63909View attachment 63917View attachment 63918
Mr Hooton of cymarc is known to overengineer his developments got quite a few of his items on my GS and they are of excellent quality.

Mr Hooton of cymarc is known to overengineer his developments got quite a few of his items on my GS and they are of excellent quality.
Yeah I’m very happy with the work so far. The turnaround was quicker than I expected. They are flat out making PPE just now.

I particularly like the small profile once it’s all packed away. I think it will live in my California permanently. It will stand upright below the ocean rear platform at either height setting.

867970B2-5F0C-4F32-8FD0-1F0DD28A4BED.jpeg
It beats this old thing anyway.
1C44C6F7-BAF8-447B-9601-4C340AE92541.jpeg

We love our Cobb, dirty inside? Why botter.
I love my Cobb too. Taking the charcoal premierre air on holiday (leaving the old one at home). It’s so much easier to clean as the ash pan is removable. It sustains greater heat as there’s improved air flow And you can also adjust the holes in the lid for faster or slower burn.

I use a kellie kettle on it for boiling water (only time you can use twigs and sticks - to give the last of the charcoal a bit more oomph, for fear of melting you’re ring and grommets - ooh er misses!). It gets soaked in a 20l Ortlieb fold down bowl and scrubbed with a metal scratchy and Pink Stuff.

Only to get it clean, not bothered about pristine or as new, like some Cobb owners are. I cook sometimes in the moat so clean is important for me.

Some people use the Cobb foil liners and say you can wash them umpteen times. I’ve never tried them. I sometimes line with foil if it’s going to be a messy cook. You need good quality foil and it’s easier to shape the foil around the outside of the Cobb bowl, then transfer it to the inside.

has the bowl at £26.99 and £5 discount on first order.

Pink stuff is in Sainsbury’s is £1, but some places do it cheaper.
AA389A01-9B24-4DCF-8E99-DDC2ADF88E16.jpeg

View attachment 63901View attachment 63902
View attachment 63904View attachment 63905View attachment 63906View attachment 63907View attachment 63908View attachment 63909View attachment 63917View attachment 63918
Addition of a tripod and hanging grill that can be placed at any height should allow cooking over any size fire. I mostly wild camp and collect drift wood or deadfall rather than using charcoal but charcoal will work also.
It all packs down small and is simple to set up and leaves no damage to the ground.

FB43ABA4-729C-45D1-A418-D26AB70A0998.jpeg

8B3D1BE5-25E9-49D7-92A1-8D487C150608.jpeg

6BED9802-3701-4443-8FE3-E49428EA2229.jpeg

Addition of a tripod and hanging grill that can be placed at any height should allow cooking over any size fire. I mostly wild camp and collect drift wood or deadfall rather than using charcoal but charcoal will work also.
It all packs down small and is simple to set up and leaves no damage to the ground.

View attachment 64017

View attachment 64018

View attachment 64019
Hi C4x4, do you think the tripod would be strong enough to hang a full dutch oven from the chain?

View attachment 64017

View attachment 64018

View attachment 64019
I’ve been looking for a bbq that doesn’t take up much space, still use disposable ones. I think I may have to invest in one, are they expensive (wouldn’t need tripod even though it looks cool).

I’ve been looking for a bbq that doesn’t take up much space, still use disposable ones. I think I may have to invest in one, are they expensive (wouldn’t need tripod even though it looks cool).
You’ll save money in the long run. Buy the best you can afford that suits your needs. If you want to use real fire, make sure it will be effective for each type of fuel you want to use and also charcoal (as more and more sites And off grid locations are banning flame fires but still allow charcoal).

You’ll also save health-wise. Disposable bbqs are soaked in nasty toxic chemicals to enable them to light quickly!

You’ll save money in the long run. Buy the best you can afford that suits your needs. If you want to use real fire, make sure it will be effective for each type of fuel you want to use and also charcoal (as more and more sites And off grid locations are banning flame fires but still allow charcoal).

You’ll also save health-wise. Disposable bbqs are soaked in nasty toxic chemicals to enable them to light quickly!

Charcoal BBQ's are not allowed in alot of Coastal SW France due to risk of fires in Napoleon's pine forests; Hence we have a Gas Cobb but much prefer the taste of food cooked over charcoal. Tripods are good as allow you to easily control the heat, so good for stews etc.

I’ve never seen a bbq that packs down that small, the joker boot is tiny and think that would be ideal. That’s the only reason I have used disposable ones (hate using them). A fire pit for roasting marshmallows whilst stealth camping sounds appealing too.
Need to google.

There’s a link here to the fire pit I’m using. I think it’s cheap considering it’s made from solid stainless steel and has such a small footprint. Cooking on the supplied grill isn’t perfect as you’re close to the heat source but if you’ve mastered cooking on disposable BBQs I think you’ll be fine. UK made by a company who answer the phone and emails is something I’m happy to support too.

Another possible option but I have no experience with it and it’s probably not made in the U.K.
FENNEK 2.0 portable picnic grill I Charcoal grill for outdoor BBQ while camping, fishing and much more. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q3FFMTB/?tag=eliteelect-21

I’ve never seen a bbq that packs down that small, the joker boot is tiny and think that would be ideal. That’s the only reason I have used disposable ones (hate using them). A fire pit for roasting marshmallows whilst stealth camping sounds appealing too.
Need to google.
If you’re after very small have a look at a firebox stove. The UK supplier is

You can use any fuel that will catch fire/create heat. You can also clip in Trangia alcohol or gas burners. It’s small enough to carry in a backpack and it’s very versatile. I love mine. The creator, Steve, has loads of videos on YouTube and there’s a fb group too.

My photos:
27F656E9-AF89-461D-8430-A7C87F003E1E.jpeg83A06850-12D3-4F04-B818-C9904F6F97EF.jpeg0B378AAC-F4EC-4917-BC22-4D359F4BC697.jpeg
I also use it as a bbq with the grill plates but don’t have any pics.

Other photos:
832A4033-EC83-4820-A35D-7CA7FE0422CE.jpeg0C890E9D-9BB6-49A2-AC33-90C758B902E9.jpegEDB08BF8-019F-41EC-A10C-6FB2DD8D99C5.jpeg

Been watching this thread with interest as we are trying to find something compact for BBQ and that could be used as a firepit too.
Just found these:

https://www.gearandgo.online/product-page/madkon-ammo-box-braai

They make 3 different sizes and all sizes fold down to only 6cm high/tall.

Really like the Cymarc one as it looks really well made, would be interesting to hear if anyone had one of these Madkon braai/bbqs.

Been watching this thread with interest as we are trying to find something compact for BBQ and that could be used as a firepit too.
Just found these:

Really like the Cymarc one as it looks really well made, would be interesting to hear if anyone had one of these Madkon braai/bbqs.
I like how quick that one is set up.

Just found these:

That bbq would look good sat next to borris posh camping kitchen box

Looks good and very simple to put up/pack away (in the video at least), just can't seem to find that many reviews of it.
Had been using a large fire bowl/bbq with folding legs but it takes up too much room that we now need for the awning my wife insisted we buy and probably never use!:rolleyes::D
Might bite the bullet and buy one as the largest size (600s) will fit neatly under the said awning bag in the boot.

I agree. It is also quick to pack away when it is unused as the demonstration. I suspect you might want to clean it before packing away if it has been used for fire and cooking though. I think without a pressure washer, it would be a challenge to clean. Something that breaks down into individual parts can be cleaned in a washing up bowl with a scrubbing brush. Just a thought.