Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best barbecue?

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi all,

Just wondering what’s a really handy portable bbq to bring in the camper?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll find a lot of people on here use a Cadac Safari.

Also popular in the Cali world is the Cobb cooker, which is a kind of hybrid BBQ/oven cooker. It uses either the special Cobb solid fuel or standard BBQ briquettes. We have one and love it.

Lotusgrill for me, very clever design. They use charcoal but are up to cooking temperature in 5 minutes and can be moved about whilst still burning.

FBE9BE7F-4AF8-4943-9A67-D41F5DA8B55B.jpeg
The one in the photo is the large one but I usually use the smaller one in the Cali when there are just 2 of us.

https://lotusgrill.co.uk/grills/LGR-G-STD

Thanks for all the great options I can look at everyone. Much appreciated and thanks for all the pics too. Some lovely cookers and bbqs to pick from here.

The one you can have at the coast.

Lotusgrill here.

I've not used the competition but my favourite part of the Lotus is it used a measured amount of charcoal and, if you have some grips or something to hold it with, you can remove the spent coals and bury or dispose of them so the BBQ cools down super quickly and can be put away without making the van smell.

It's also ready to cook in 5 minutes or so.

Downside is having to use wood charcoal although I have bee using generic ones and breaking them up a bit if the pieces are too big. I also use a generic listing fluid.

Skotti! Have had it for a couple of months and love it! Takes gas, wood, charcoal & super cleverly designed, requiring close to ZERO space in the Cali. www.skotti-grill.eu

I saw these on Instagram and think they look brilliant! I asked if they ship to the UK and apparently they don’t at the moment, they said they might next year :(

I recommend the Cobb. Have had 3 medium sized chickens on it at once. Took about 2 Cobb stones and 5 hours but they were delicious. Another thing to note you’ve got more of chance of seeing a unicorn than getting hold of official Cobb stones but gooutdoors do generic ones. Often use it at home in the garden. The outside structure of the Cobb doesn’t get hot so you can bbq at the table which makes it really sociable.

d2c2ac70cb25f7e64569c6a5a162adfc.jpg

I looked at all the usual options and went for this. We need to cook for 4 and pack really small! Loved my various portable weber’s (better for cooking) but this is smaller and lighter if that’s important

I've had a cobb, wasn't ideal to pack in a cali, even with its neat bag. Was a pain to clean too. Heat regulation was difficult at times. Overall an expensive but good looking piece of kit that has the advantage of being able to be used on the table and moved around in use.
I ended up selling it and replacing it with one of these for a fraction of the cost...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AOLGPEU/?tag=eliteelect-21
Once you learn to judge the amount of charcoal you need to use, it burns out and cools fairly quickly. Doesn't require cleaning. Just empty the ash, fold almost flat, put it in a rubble sack so it doesn't get anything else dirty and stash it anywhere.
Best thing about it is that it is stood up off the ground so doesn't burn the ground and you can even use it as a fire pit - awesome.
The one I have was slightly different and came with a metal case that folded out and sat underneath to catch any falling ash.
Absolutely excellent.
(I still have it, but having said how great it is, I've opted for the convenience of gas; Cadac... Instant on, instant off, quite big, but it doubles up as a second gas hob, to the small single burner which we keep under one of the slots in the three seater bench in our Beach) and cadac can also do amazing paella...we regularly use it at home too.

Hi all,

Just wondering what’s a really handy portable bbq to bring in the camper?

Thanks

Charcoal Cobb for me. Oven, grill, barbecue. Very versatile and lots of accessories. you can use your own pans, trays, etc too. Great on the for the garden, and campervanning, but also out and about for picnics, beach, riverbank, etc. you only need 10 charcoal briquettes for over 2 hours of cooking. if you're thinking about one ?& have any questions I'm happy to respond. I've had one for about 12 years now and use it for all sorts.

I've had a cobb, wasn't ideal to pack in a cali, even with its neat bag. Was a pain to clean too. Heat regulation was difficult at times. Overall an expensive but good looking piece of kit that has the advantage of being able to be used on the table and moved around in use.
I ended up selling it and replacing it with one of these for a fraction of the cost...

Yep, agree.
Been there got the T-Shirt.
To much hassle to clean The Cobb.
Prefer the Weber Go Anywhere. Close the lid after cooking and return to the bag. It doesn’t need cleaning after every cook.

If just for bbq the Esbit stainless steel folding bbq is excellent.

We use the SAfire Cooker for more then a year now. We use it with the barbecoco briquettes.
Starts up in 5 min. Very happy with it. Also perfect for baking pizza etc...