Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best barbecue?

Been watching this thread with interest as we are trying to find something compact for BBQ and that could be used as a firepit too.
Just found these:

https://www.gearandgo.online/product-page/madkon-ammo-box-braai

They make 3 different sizes and all sizes fold down to only 6cm high/tall.

Really like the Cymarc one as it looks really well made, would be interesting to hear if anyone had one of these Madkon braai/bbqs.
Think I saw these at last years Bushcraft Show. They were fantastic but only demoed on new ones. I wonder how easy they are to open/close if they start to get sooted up. Maybe the joints wouldn't be as free. The demo in the video is on an old braai but it's been cleaned.

Probably not too much of a problem if holidaying in one place and then cleaning on site or at home, but if moving from site to site, may become a nuisance.

Think I saw these at last years Bushcraft Show. They were fantastic but only demoed on new ones. I wonder how easy they are to open/close if they start to get sooted up. Maybe the joints wouldn't be as free. The demo in the video is on an old braai but it's been cleaned.

Probably not too much of a problem if holidaying in one place and then cleaning on site or at home, but if moving from site to site, may become a nuisance.

Yeah, I can see the joints being a potential weak point as they look riveted on and may suffer in the heat from the charcoal/wood.

Can't see it being much more of an issue to clean than a normal bbq. It would be interesting to see how much tolerance there is between the parts and how this maybe effected by any stuck on bits or if the metal may warp with use and cause issues.

My concerns with some low height bbq is scorching the grass (so having to take something else to stop this or use on a slab/hardstanding) and having to stoop over to cook.
The hunt for the perfect camping bbq continues!:D

Addnature have had them in the past, might be worth an email.

These look amazing. Do you have to buy their special gas canisters though?

Looks good and very simple to put up/pack away (in the video at least), just can't seem to find that many reviews of it.
Had been using a large fire bowl/bbq with folding legs but it takes up too much room that we now need for the awning my wife insisted we buy and probably never use!:rolleyes::D
Might bite the bullet and buy one as the largest size (600s) will fit neatly under the said awning bag in the boot.
We have a Roadii firepit bowl and tripod. Since getting the cali it stays in the garden. Takes up too much space. At the mo will only be taking the charcoal Cobb, Kellie Kettle and firebox stove if not on EHU.

We have a Roadii firepit bowl and tripod. Since getting the cali it stays in the garden. Takes up too much space. At the mo will only be taking the charcoal Cobb, Kellie Kettle and firebox stove if not on EHU.

Elly what does the firebox stove look like? Sounds compact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sold my portable BBQ yesterday...
We haven’t took ours camping for over two years. Much like awnings, I’ve not got time for them.

With two gas burners in the van, we prefer to use them, therefore saving space in the van and cleaning time.

#lessismore

Packed down it’s 7x5 inches. It feels heavier than it’s flimsier counterparts because it’s such good quality. Look on YouTube. The guy who designed it has loads of videos. It wouldn’t replace a family bbq, but for 2, with a bit of creativity, it’s great.

Like California 4x4 says above, take a look at message #72 in this thread for some pics. (Each post has a # number to the top right of it).

Well I’ve done it, placed an order for a madkon.
Will stick some pics up and let you know if it’s any good.
We just received ours today (600s largest one). Seems very well made, but ours unfortunately arrived damaged no thanks to the delivery company. I contacted Gear&Go and straight away they arranged to send a replacement and collection next day. Not their fault I know and hopefully we should receive this tomorrow. Always think the sign of a good company is how they deal with any issues and so far can't fault them.
Hope you get yours ok, can't wait to use ours!

We just received ours today (600s largest one). Seems very well made, but ours unfortunately arrived damaged no thanks to the delivery company. I contacted Gear&Go and straight away they arranged to send a replacement and collection next day. Not their fault I know and hopefully we should receive this tomorrow. Always think the sign of a good company is how they deal with any issues and so far can't fault them.
Hope you get yours ok, can't wait to use ours!
Hi

I got mine today too!
Only ordered the mini, looks like a fantastic piece or kit.
Very well built, but I do need to fire it up and use it a few times yet (give it a proper test).

Herman was really helpful when I was deciding which one to go for, he emailed me his mobile number to have chat and sent extra pics etc.

Luckily no damage on mine, I guess it being a lot smaller may of helped.

E69A01C0-2790-4DB3-A19E-30CBABC1185E.jpeg

Hi

I got mine today too!
Only ordered the mini, looks like a fantastic piece or kit.
Very well built, but I do need to fire it up and use it a few times yet (give it a proper test).

Herman was really helpful when I was deciding which one to go for, he emailed me his mobile number to have chat and sent extra pics etc.

Luckily no damage on mine, I guess it being a lot smaller may of helped.

View attachment 64361
Herman from Gear and Go was very helpful in getting things sorted.

Looks very impressive! :thumb

Happy cooking!

Hated our Cobb, all the time we were cooking on it we were thinking about the faff of cleaning after. We now use disposables which is bliss , managed to buy 20 in the winter for 99p each

Hated our Cobb, all the time we were cooking on it we were thinking about the faff of cleaning after. We now use disposables which is bliss , managed to buy 20 in the winter for 99p each
I hate disposables, not having a pop at you. For me that’s a lot of waste, plus the nasty toxic chemicals they add to get them to light quickly.

That is why coal is better in the van, not lots of fat everywhere as with a gas bbq. We have a Weber but we never bring it with us because it takes so much space. I consider the madkon but will await your impressions. The website and two movies dont tell me much.

That is why coal is better in the van, not lots of fat everywhere as with a gas bbq. We have a Weber but we never bring it with us because it takes so much space. I consider the madkon but will await your impressions. The website and two movies dont tell me much.

When we get our replacement Madkon 600s (was damaged in transit see post #87) I will upload some more detailed pictures if that helps?
I believe 4x4 Joker has the smaller more compact size and maybe might add some other pictures if asked? If not I can add some of the largest size.

Is there anything you needed to know about them as it sounds like they helped 4x4 Joker with any questions.

So tested the Madkon mini yesterday.
I was very pleased, love the fact you can change the grill height.
The side grab handles didn’t get hot so was able to move bbq. I only had small amount of charcoal so whether they would heat up when loaded or used as firebox I will let you know.
I did find emptying a little fiddly, as it kept trying to close up and trap bits (there is a video and knack for doing it).
I found it easy to clean (at home in kitchen sink), I will just blast it with my portable karcher when camping!

Love the look of it and very well made.
I’ve opted for mini (perfect for what I need it for).
The ammo would probably be better suited for most people.
Herman at Gear and go, is very helpful too.99918010-8183-453D-BF2F-72028A43FAD6.jpegFD0DBAB4-09D0-4A04-B792-DFABECC20987.jpeg

So tested the Madkon mini yesterday.
I was very pleased, love the fact you can change the grill height.
The side grab handles didn’t get hot so was able to move bbq. I only had small amount of charcoal so whether they would heat up when loaded or used as firebox I will let you know.
I did find emptying a little fiddly, as it kept trying to close up and trap bits (there is a video and knack for doing it).
I found it easy to clean (at home in kitchen sink), I will just blast it with my portable karcher when camping!

Love the look of it and very well made.
I’ve opted for mini (perfect for what I need it for).
The ammo would probably be better suited for most people.
Herman at Gear and go, is very helpful too.View attachment 64506View attachment 64507
Awesome!
Great to see some pics and to hear how you got on with it. I thought the grill was adjustable in height but it's nice to know from you that it definitely is adjustable.

Unfortunately we are not having much luck as the replacement 600s didn't survive the postal system again and arrived with one the locking arms bent right out. I think as it is relatively heavy and only packaged in thin cardboard it was kind of inevitable it wouldn't survive. I don't think it would be as much of an issue with the small and medium sizes as the large one ways about 12 KG and no doubt would have been dropped and bashed about by the delivery company.
Hopefully third time lucky and it is sent out with a lot more packaging for protection.

Awesome!
Great to see some pics and to hear how you got on with it. I thought the grill was adjustable in height but it's nice to know from you that it definitely is adjustable.

Unfortunately we are not having much luck as the replacement 600s didn't survive the postal system again and arrived with one the locking arms bent right out. I think as it is relatively heavy and only packaged in thin cardboard it was kind of inevitable it wouldn't survive. I don't think it would be as much of an issue with the small and medium sizes as the large one ways about 12 KG and no doubt would have been dropped and bashed about by the delivery company.
Hopefully third time lucky and it is sent out with a lot more packaging for protection.
Yes mine was only in a cardboard box, they definitely could do with added protection.
Mine did arrive ok, but guess it was placed in a van.
It wouldn’t handle being banged about on route.

Yes mine was only in a cardboard box, they definitely could do with added protection.
Mine did arrive ok, but guess it was placed in a van.
It wouldn’t handle being banged about on route.
Just had my replacement Madkon 600s arrive and was much better packaged this time.

Very pleased and will add some more picks once I've got to use it.

20200818_121446.jpg20200818_121505.jpg20200818_122112.jpg

That's my Madkon Ammo braai going at full-blast as a fire pit. Absolutely brilliant. Spent the whole evening just sitting around it.

IMG_20200822_193816.jpg

Once the fire has died down, leave it for about 15 minutes. Drop the residual embers on to a aluminium foil and the Madkon cools down in a few minutes and is ready to pack. Easy to setup, easy to pack and works a treat!

That Madkon looks impressive. I went with the Skotti from Germany.

Packs away very well into its own bag which also fits inside your rucksack. Uses gas or coals or wood so very handy as a fire pit too
£140 inc delivery. German engineering. Small plate - size of A4 - but how much cooking space do you need for a bbq for 2 ?
Cools within 15 minutes. Cooking plate is difficult to clean but I use a Teflon sheet so nothing sticks

I did a YouTube review on it but can’t upload the video

That Madkon looks impressive. I went with the Skotti from Germany.

Packs away very well into its own bag which also fits inside your rucksack. Uses gas or coals or wood so very handy as a fire pit too
£140 inc delivery. German engineering. Small plate - size of A4 - but how much cooking space do you need for a bbq for 2 ?
Cools within 15 minutes. Cooking plate is difficult to clean but I use a Teflon sheet so nothing sticks

I did a YouTube review on it but can’t upload the video

Nice. You should be able to post a link to the video.

I’ll probably go for a charcoal bbq.

We have the Webber Go Anywhere. It’s shape fits well.
For the first few years we used a £12 bucket bbq from Sainsbury’s that I also remember was excellent.