Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best deals on Beach.

B

Brianmini

Hi everyone, my first post.

I've been hunting about this last few days for every scrap of info I could find on the beach model, and at one point I found a UK site selling Cali's which seemed to be a fair bit lower than retail, but for the life of me I can't find it now. Has anyone got any bookmarked links of places to buy?

I'm looking for a standard Beach, not fussed for metallic paint, my only real need is the 3 seat bench, and possibly a couple of extra bolt in seats to justify purchase of a Beach. i.e. "look its an mpv and a camper".

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It depends how you want to define deal and what you expect.

There aren't any deals as such and if anything the price of dealer stock Beaches has risen since I purchased mine.

Of course it is spec dependent. If you can I would recommend parking heater, this does push the price up - A dealer stock Beach with parking heater will be around 37k. I didn't get a parking heater but I think if you can, it is worth hunting down a Beach with one.

The three seater bench is probably the better bet, you get full MPV versatility. You also have to decide between 115 BMT or 140 - I haven't seen this effect prices though. Although it does seem the BMT will be slightly cheaper than the 140 and sometimes has a lower spec

I would say for a Beach you should be looking between 32 to 38k. You say you are not too bothered about equipment, that should give you much wider choice. Nonetheless look for Multi Function Steering Wheel - Privacy Glass - Cruise and Parking Sensors. Desirables must include the Parking Heater, Fog Lights and an extra sliding window on the sliding door and if you can, the cool box - this is great to have on the Beach. I have also seen one or two Bluemotion Beaches with upgraded 17 inch alloys. You won't see that many with the extra seats but worth hunting down, remember though, all Beaches leave the factory with a ral system that allows additional seats.

In terms of Stereo - you may find some with the more basic 310 Sat Nav system - that would be a tempting option.

Chris on this forum got a good deal on his Beach with the Parking Heater and the extra seats. Remember many things can be added after - at expense!

I am not aware of any places to buy - it's just a case of doing what you've done and hunting around. Someone here may know differently - always good here because the wealth of info is amazing.

James

I wasn't even aware you could get the beach with the parking heater. Now I want lol.

Going to have to start saving big time, got a bit laid away but being Scottish I don't like too big a loan, tightness isn't just a stereotype.... It's fact lol

I was thinking of the Bluemotion model, I'm used to underpowered vehicles in the chase for mpg, plus I wont be planning on racing around in a beach, the old mini is rolled out when I feel the inner hooligan needs exercise lol (it's slow too, but you feel like your going fast)

Brianmini said:
I wasn't even aware you could get the beach with the parking heater. Now I want lol.

Going to have to start saving big time, got a bit laid away but being Scottish I don't like too big a loan, tightness isn't just a stereotype.... It's fact lol

I was thinking of the Bluemotion model, I'm used to underpowered vehicles in the chase for mpg, plus I wont be planning on racing around in a beach, the old mini is rolled out when I feel the inner hooligan needs exercise lol (it's slow too, but you feel like your going fast)

lol

Bluemotion does not feel underpowered - it can feel slow to get away and I do think a 6 speed box would be a benefit but it doesn't feel slow. There is a difference in MPG - whether this translates into real world savings depends on how much you drive I guess.

115bhp is enough for a modern van - even one with seats and gubbings :cool: You won't be entering drag races but it's enough.

:)

James

Even when fairly fully loaded, the Bluemotion sits happily at 80MPH (where the law permits ;) - though you will not feel the economy at this speed), but when driven carefully at 55-60MPH, can return in xs of 45MPG. I personally don't see the point of the 140PS model for the Beach - it is in a higher taxation class, is less efficient, and doesn't have Cruise control as standard.

In terms of other options (& obviously this is very personal)

Essential:
Parking Sensors
Parking Heater
7 seats (expensive upgrade afterwards)
Bluetooth (Mine didn't have factory fitted, so dealer fitted a parrot kit - not ideal, but it works)

Nice:
Privacy glass/laminated glass/double glazing
DAB upgrade & USB input
Awning (Though I have the Khyam sun canopy, as I don't want the extra height, or wind resistance of the awning being permanently attached)
Folding Mirrors

WRT fridge, personally, I am very happy with the aftermarket fridge that I have see this thread viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1456 - it is smaller than the VW fridge, but being a compressor is more efficient.

With respect to best prices, I used drivethedeal as my guide price, then negotiated with a dealer who had one close to my ideal spec in stock (essentials covered). I preferred a known dealer, as I also wanted part exchange etc. I got to within a whisker of the drive the deal price.

syrup1971 said:
Even when fairly fully loaded, the Bluemotion sits happily at 80MPH (where the law permits ;) - though you will not feel the economy at this speed), but when driven carefully at 55-60MPH, can return in xs of 45MPG. I personally don't see the point of the 140PS model for the Beach - it is in a higher taxation class, is less efficient, and doesn't have Cruise control as standard.

In terms of other options (& obviously this is very personal)

Essential:
Parking Sensors
Parking Heater
7 seats (expensive upgrade afterwards)
Bluetooth (Mine didn't have factory fitted, so dealer fitted a parrot kit - not ideal, but it works)

Nice:
Privacy glass/laminated glass/double glazing
DAB upgrade & USB input
Awning (Though I have the Khyam sun canopy, as I don't want the extra height, or wind resistance of the awning being permanently attached)
Folding Mirrors

WRT fridge, personally, I am very happy with the aftermarket fridge that I have see this thread http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/v ... =85&t=1456 - it is smaller than the VW fridge, but being a compressor is more efficient.

With respect to best prices, I used drivethedeal as my guide price, then negotiated with a dealer who had one close to my ideal spec in stock (essentials covered). I preferred a known dealer, as I also wanted part exchange etc. I got to within a whisker of the drive the deal price.

interesting point about 140 model.

On about 4000 miles now and the engine in mine feels completely different. I wouldn't say quick, but certainly quicker. It can pull away quite quickly now - 0 - 60 will never be great but I think the BMT is more than enough and mine is a daily driver.

The VW Coolbox (also a warm box) is not a must, but if a Beach has it I think it is nice to have if it is within your budget. It sits on the rail system so can be moved around the van. It also acts as a table and occasional seat :D .

But I agree - aftermarket cool box does suffice.

James

If you want a new one then give us a call to see what we can do on 01403 839640.

cheers

Hello,

I am new to this forum too, I joined last night! We spent ages toying over a van conversion or a factory California Beach. We needed the rear triple seat with full seat belts as we have three young kids. Eventually, or a little stroke of luck, or even fate, we happened to pass a Vw dealer with a beach on the forecourt in the colour we wanted. So we bite the bullet and put down a deposit, it didn't have all the options we wanted, and we added some exterior options make it look sharp!

I was unsure if we made the correct decision as it was a lot of money, but we love our new van and are convinced the factory route was better than a conversion for us.

James mentioned a night heater and others here talked about a VW fridge, things to consider.
I wonder if we can get a night heater added by VW? And how much? I know diesel heaters are amazing but not sure if one can be fitted without ripping everything out?

Any Cali you buy will be great, we found looking at so many models in dealers you can get carried away with options. The most basic of vans will be perfect! We love ours and have only had it a week.

Paul

I am sure you can get someone to fit an aftermarket Webasto or Eberspächer heater (my California has stickers for both on the door, so I am not sure which is the diesel night heater, and which is the regular heater??)

WRT Fridge, I know James (Custard) rates his VW one, I am very happy with mine, which is smaller capacity, but more efficient than the VW one:

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1456&p=11503#p11503

syrup1971 said:
I am sure you can get someone to fit an aftermarket Webasto or Eberspächer heater (my California has stickers for both on the door, so I am not sure which is the diesel night heater, and which is the regular heater??)

WRT Fridge, I know James (Custard) rates his VW one, I am very happy with mine, which is smaller capacity, but more efficient than the VW one:

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewt ... 503#p11503

I do rate it but wouldn't go out of the way for one unless the price was right or you got a good deal. It does ad a bit of character to the van for me as well.

An aftermarket one will do the job :)

I have mine running most of the time and never have any probs. What I do like is that is that it has a plate which sits on the rail system - the cool/warm box sits on this. It keeps it secure and being VW there is some good attention to detail. The top of the box is designed to be a small non slip table or occasional seat.

It's probably not worth the money - but very nice I'd you have it. It just depends how and what you will use your Beach for.

James

syrup1971 said:

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewt ... 503#p11503

I do rate it but wouldn't go out of the way for one unless the price was right or you got a good deal.

An aftermarket one will do the job :)

I have mine running most of the time and never have any probs. What I do like is that is that it has a plate which sits on the rail system - the cool/warm box sits on this. It keeps it secure and being VW there is attention to detail. The top of the box is designed to be a small non slip table or occasional seat.

It's probably not worth the money - but very nice I'd you have it. It just depends how and what you will use your Beach for.

James

Hi James,

I just wondered if you bought your cool box after buying the beach?

We're thinking about buying the vw one as I like the idea of it fixing to the plate and been secure, however, I'm struggling to find any information out about it! I've found it in the cali brochure and can see it's £235 - but not sure if you can get it after?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks

Kimmhu said:
Hi James,

I just wondered if you bought your cool box after buying the beach?

We're thinking about buying the vw one as I like the idea of it fixing to the plate and been secure, however, I'm struggling to find any information out about it! I've found it in the cali brochure and can see it's £235 - but not sure if you can get it after?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks

HI

Yes, I got mine after I got my Beach but be warned as VW appears to translate from German as 'very expensive'.

It would be £235 from brochure, sadly not to buy afterwards though. Also, the cool box was designed for the Multivan so it only really works in the three seater Beach.

We've actually got a lot of use out of ours - it takes our cold stuff when we shop - cold stuff when we camp, works well as a table, works well as a seat :)

But you could get a Cool Box for half the price that would do the same job. I just anted the VW one for the look and feel of the Van.

James

Back