Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Laminated Glass & other options on Beach

S

syrup1971

VIP Member
Hi All,

Just about convinced myself, that I can use a Bluemotion Beach as a daily driver, and that the costs are reasonable for my 15K miles/year, after figuring running costs shouldn't be too far removed from my current Seat Altea Freetrack TDI.

Just specing up, and apart from deciding on Yellow vs White (I hate paying extra for paint!), there are a couple of other options, I'd like clarification on:

1) The laminated windscreen -

Described in the catalogue as

Laminated glass – includes laminated privacy glass and laminated
windscreen for improved noise damping and auto-dimming rear view mirror
and rain sensor (not with double glazing, privacy glass or auto-dimming
rear view mirror)

Is the "Privacy" element the same as the privacy glass option i.e. cover the same windows, and the same translucency?

How effective is the noise damping? Is this designed for reducing road noise, or noise on a campsite, or both?

2) The Cool/warm box – 32-litre capacity - any benefits to this one, over an aftermarket product?

3) If you select the media-in option USB, can this still be used with iphone/ipod with appropriate cable?

Anyone get any ideas on how long current lead times are for Beach builds?

Thanks for all the help,

Chris

Hi mate. Luke is the man that might be able to help you as he has also been looking
At the beach. He should be on here later.
Yellow does look cool :thumb

if you have chance to spec it then add the coolbox with all its factory fit benefits and I'd also recommend you specify media interface option (dealer fit) we had media interface and pleased with it and again its VWs own system..
all VW warrantied ;)

I think the fridge option on the beach is just a fridge that plugs into the standard 12v outlet, not fitted in anyway.

I think some of the aftermarket ones may be a better bet, in terms of allowing mains hookup etc. Not clear if it is a "proper" fridge I.e. with a compressor.

Or as an alternative, something like the CF35 here

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/waeco ... oolers.htm

Hi Chris.
I have been thinking strongly about becoming a Beach Boy. Having looked at a couple of demonstrators and compared them to the Cali and also the Caravelle, the laminated screens and privacy glass was an option I was definitely keen to tick. As far as I am aware the Privacy glass is of the same tinting level as on the Cali.

The laminate / insulation is because I want something more than the T5 van drive - I am just getting too reliant on creature comforts.

The problem I faced quite quickly is that once I started selecting all the options I wanted - like heated seats, clImatronic at all the rest I was starting to move towards full Cali money.

The rear heater is a thing I would like, as I would love to try and go skiing in it, but at sixteen-hundred notes that is a hell of an accessory.

Lead times? Last time I asked it was in the 12 week region - however you might be able to get a pre-reg one quicker.

Thanks, for the input.

Agree, the option list is long & tempting. For me the California is a non-starter due to lack of bluemotion option, lack of 7 seats.

For me the essentials are

7 seat option
Parking heater ( for winter camping)
Parking sensors ( the school run is pretty tight on parking spaces!)

& the probable are

Laminated glass
Bluetooth
USB input
Dab radio option
Some method of carrying 4 bikes (undecided between towbar & vw rack)

& the luxury are

Heated seats (will probably use the parking heater to negate the need for these on really cold days)
Folding wing mirrors

The prices on drivethedeal seem quite good, but I don't seem to have found a dealer yet who is close to matching, so I guess I will go the Internet route, though I keep reading good things on this forum about the dealer in Preston.

Chris

Looking at your Spec sheet I would say that the Caravelle would give you everything except the parking heater (as far as I recall) and obviously the pop roof, all at a keener price.

If your camping is only going to be occasional and just two of your then this might be worth considering.

I never needed the full 7 seats! But was of the opinion that the full width bed downstairs and 5 seats would be more useful than the full Cali's 4 seats.

I have moved through that and think that a Cali might be better for us as a family than a Beach or a 'Velle.

It's not easy.

Gading an internet broker or a dealer, there are pros and cons for both which are rehearsed in loads of places across the web - so in that case you pays your money and takes your choice.

I think that I personally would prefer dealing with a good, competent dealer.

Hi

interesting thread, as a newbie I am going to jump in, so excuse me. Having just gone through the process of finding a Beach - bargains are not easy to come by.

I had not got the budget to spec what I would like. We worked that out to be about 40k! There is a Velle on Ebay - specced for camping - it's the only one I have seen but it just doesn't compare to the feeling of space and practicality offered by beach even, in terms of goodies you get more for your money. The Beach also has a great feel and character about it.

The Parking Heater is lovely - I was looking at pre reg and dealer demos - that shot the price up to around 36k - with nothing else - I am not going to do lots of camping so personally day to day driving bits are more welcome.

I think if I had the money, I would have it though.

There is a place near here called Hazzy Days VW - I guess some of you have heard of it - they can retro fit stuff like rain sensor wipers etc.

The Beach I eventually settled on had multi function steering - Kenwood multimedia sat nav system - parking censors - to keep the price down I chose one with out the extra seats - they may be good come resale but I won't need them personally.

VW's seem very spec dependent - and i accepted with the Beach - I would pay for that.

James

There is a place near here called Hazzy Days VW - I guess some of you have heard of it - they can retro fit stuff like rain sensor wipers etc.

Have to change the windscreen to one with sensor for the auto wipers. I wanted to do this but don't like the idea of changing a good windscreen, always a risk of it not sealing.

Andy said:

Have to change the windscreen to one with sensor for the auto wipers. I wanted to do this but don't like the idea of changing a good windscreen, always a risk of it not sealing.

I thought the same as you - I have rain sensing wipers on my current Volvo C30 and I like them, but would not rip out a really good windowscreen for them and when you factor that in, it starts to look expensive.

James

Ordered my Beach today.

Going for a showroom model, to avoid the 16 week delivery time + it had almost all the options I wanted, including the critical trio of 7 seats, parking sensors and parking heater.

In Sunny Yellow.

Chris

syrup1971 said:
Ordered my Beach today.

Going for a showroom model, to avoid the 16 week delivery time + it had almost all the options I wanted, including the critical trio of 7 seats, parking sensors and parking heater.

In Sunny Yellow.

Chris

Chris - how excited are you? Parking Heater and 7 seats will be good if you ever sell. My budget couldn't quite stretch to having those things plus some daily driving items.

Good spec :)

James

Very excited. Due to collect next Friday from VW in Tonbridge.

The main thing that I would have liked, but wasn't specced, was the laminated glass or at the least the privacy glass, but decided that I could live without it - can always use the blinds as a poormans privacy glass!

Dealer is fitting an aftermarket Parrot bluetooth kit, with USB unput, as they weren't fitted to the vehicle.

I had considered an awning, but decided

a) The additional height to the vehicke would be too much, fo ruse as a daily driver
b) What I actually need is a drive away awning, so we can store stuff at a campsite, when off out for day trips. Currently considering the Oztent RV family, as it looks so quick & easy, or also the Decathlon Base pop up, as I have used these before & they really are quick & easy.

Also need to get a bike rack. Will probably go for the official VW, though the cost is high compared with Fiamma/Thule options.

syrup1971 said:
Very excited. Due to collect next Friday from VW in Tonbridge.

The main thing that I would have liked, but wasn't specced, was the laminated glass or at the least the privacy glass, but decided that I could live without it - can always use the blinds as a poormans privacy glass!

Dealer is fitting an aftermarket Parrot bluetooth kit, with USB unput, as they weren't fitted to the vehicle.

I had considered an awning, but decided

a) The additional height to the vehicke would be too much, fo ruse as a daily driver
b) What I actually need is a drive away awning, so we can store stuff at a campsite, when off out for day trips. Currently considering the Oztent RV family, as it looks so quick & easy, or also the Decathlon Base pop up, as I have used these before & they really are quick & easy.

Also need to get a bike rack. Will probably go for the official VW, though the cost is high compared with Fiamma/Thule options.

We have considered a tailgate awning - as we have the awning on the side of the van but i am going to check out what you have mentioned.

I tried out the sunny yellow Bluemotion Beach in Tonbridge - is it the same one - Julie - very helpful?

Whereabouts are you based?

James

I suspect it may be the same one, when you say tried out, do you mean drove? I was under the impression it is a showroom model, not a demonstrator.

It is the Yellow bluemotion from Tonbridge, as far as I know they only have one.

Mostly been dealing with Laine.

I live in Windsor, so not too far.

syrup1971 said:
I suspect it may be the same one, when you say tried out, do you mean drove? I was under the impression it is a showroom model, not a demonstrator.

It is the Yellow bluemotion from Tonbridge, as far as I know they only have one.

Mostly been dealing with Laine.

I live in Windsor, so not too far.

No lol - didn't drive it just sat in it and looked around. i did break a few pieces of trim... No, only joking :)

James

Thanks, I had assumed that to be the case, as my car order form does say "new car", but just checking.

Are you taking up the Service plan product on yours - seems to be fairly good value for money.

When do you collect yours?

Just noticed too, this thread has gone rather off topic now :grin:

It has lol

I was just thinking about the service plan. i didn't discuss that in detail - I just placed a holding deposit - I am just waiting for funds to be available in the next week then i shall pick it up.

I wasn't planning to do it - we liked the van, liked the dealer so made the decision there and then. There's no movement on price but I will probably get the service plan.

I intend to buy the van outright - as previous post just got to wait for the funds :(

This is like a whole mini Beach forum/topic lol

Not that I want to segregate, but could be worth asking the admins for a separate Beach board, if it gets popular!

syrup1971 said:
Not that I want to segregate, but could be worth asking the admins for a separate Beach board, if it gets popular!

I had thought of that but as newbie and i didn't want to be rude, but personally I think it would be helpful.

Who knows how the Beach will expand, it seems unlikely it will be a massive seller and that VW will import DSG or other trim levels, nonetheless I am certain it will have a dedicated following and i think some items will be specific to it.

I think a separate board would be great - it doesn't have to exclude people but it would allow people to ask specific Beach related stuff, like when i asked about the leisure battery. Would be good to build a guide and a resource for people thinking of buying one in the future.

:thumb

James

We should be able to sort that lads.
Leave it with us

Thanks.

I agree there are a few specific Beach issues such as covers for the 3 seater bench in the back. Maybe some generic things too, that we find e.g. like water carriers that fit particularly well, cooker recommendations etc. etc.

Hi I was interested in the original question, has anybody here actually got first hand experience of the laminated glass option, and if so was it an option worth having??

I haven't, but having the standard glass, I'm not disappointed with the level of noise & warmth levels. That said, I would probably go for it on a new build.

Back