Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Toilet and Shower Solution

G

gatvol

All

Might I ask for views on how best to deal with the Cali's lack of toilet and lack of shower. On campsites this is a non issue, but if one were to go to Scotland and just park up somewhere quiet that rather changes things

The brandrup brochure includes a tiny porta potti 335 that stores underneath the sink. It looks a well designed thing, but doesn't this thing smell ? Isn't it a bit odd to have this within a few inches of the cutlery ? Do people set up toilet tents ? Would one ever dream of using a brandrup shower - recognising that the thing will heat a lot quicker if you boil the water in the kettle

As a novice, the shower looks a bit of a waste of time - where does the water end up if you use a little bag shower like this anyway ? And I am struggling to get my head around having a toilet under the sink. So is the reality that people don't bother with a loo ?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have

I have a small fiamma toilet that stores under the rear seats and at night I put it at the end of the bed.
I only use it for no1's it has chemicals in it and it flushes no smell at all. I haven't wild camped so showers not an issue yet.

OK...haven't yet stayed in ours overnight but here's the plan.

Toilet..... we have a portapotti but will probably get a smaller one. We plan to either have it in the van our just outside with "privacy" provided by both the awning and a windbreak. Mostly we will be on-site so will avail ourselves of the site facilities. Recently when tenting we had this set up inside the tent for mid night usage should we not want to trek off to the bogs. It transpired that we didn't need it, or so I thought. When it came to packing away, Shani said what about the potti? It hasn't been used says I; it has says she; when says I, I haven't used it; I did says she................well you can empty the ******* thing!!!
We don't plan to "store" it in any cupboards etc and only prime it if possibly needed. We plan to have a drive away awning at some point and the "bog" will sit in the ambilicle section between the van and the "tent".

Shower.... Again it depends on the duration of the usage. 1 day = no shower; 2days = wetwipes. More than that it will be either on a site or maybe we will invest in a solar shower. The best "shower" I have had was via a bucket of hot water and a discreet spot behind our non showered caravan years ago.

It will be interesting to hear from our experienced Cali-campers.

Showers.......either one of those bag things you leave out in the sun to warm, get an ' S ' hook and hang from the roof supports. Or something I got off Amazon, it's all yellow and the shower head suctions to the outside window, pipe goes into a collapsible bucket of water and a lead goes into the cigar socket, hey presto, power shower !

But, try Marinas or Beach showers first !

BerndRos said:
Showers.......either one of those bag things you leave out in the sun to warm, get an ' S ' hook and hang from the roof supports. Or something I got off Amazon, it's all yellow and the shower head suctions to the outside window, pipe goes into a collapsible bucket of water and a lead goes into the cigar socket, hey presto, power shower !
But, try Marinas or Beach showers first !

Towsure sell a "shower in a bucket" type thingy.

our potti 335 lives under the sink. Easy to use and keep clean, no smells. Empty regularly and use a biodegradable solution that allows you to empty into any toilet rather than specific waste disposal point.

Porta-potti, tent and shower>

Portapotti sits under the parcel shelf - we normally have this on the higher setting to give us more storage space, as we sleep upstairs 99% of the time. We have a small stand-alone utility tent and use a couple of very old rattan beach mats for flooring. Also have one of the shower bags. Have used the portapotti/tent combo but not the shower. Did use a similar shower camping in Oz a few years ago and it was fine - but it was 35 degrees C at the time!

I am going to get some disposable toilets called traveljohns from amazon for our upcome trip to Italy, will only use when no other option.

Ref shower we have solar bag type and only time I have used is when we where wild camping at a beach and was great for cleaning sand off kids.

Finally bought a 335 this morning for under £80 from The Caravan Shop - cheapest I've seen it for ages. Thought it'd be convenient when wild camping.

Though I'll probably still use a wide-mouthed bottle to pee into when necessary - bit more subtle to empty ;-)

Hammer. Performing a number 2 in a travel John is very difficult :rofl
We have them in our van for an emergency. Not used one yet!

Chris said:
Hammer. Performing a number 2 in a travel John is very difficult :rofl
We have them in our van for an emergency. Not used one yet!

TMI :shocked :surrender

:mrgreen:

I've got the Sunncamp shower: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SunnCamp-Platin ... B0039B1F5G

When I get a van, I'll get this shower/toilet tent, which can be hung from the tailgate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200658359582? ... 762wt_1291

I'm intending to use this when at festivals or wild camping. I don't mind paying £6 to £10 per night for a campsite, but some of them charge £15 to £20 :eek:

I've got a slight medical condition which means I don't have time to search out a public toilet first thing in the morning, if you know what I mean :oops:

We've always had a porta potti for night use, there is no way I could get through the night without a dash to the bog so it is an essential. When we travel it sits in the well between the front and backseats. It didn't look the nicest of things especially if you gave someone a lift(!) so my mrs made (sewed? embroidered? knitted? a sort of cloth box that sits over it. Not only does this now look very acceptable but it seems smaller and...... we use it as a table when we stop for lunch!
It doesn't smell, these things are easy to empty and are brilliant bits of engineering. During the day on site we put it as discreetly as possible (is that possible actually?) outside by the front of the van.
Oh, it does get used at night for no. 2's at time of stress, no problem but best avoided.
We've been doing this on and off for over 8 years.

Showers who needs them? There's a sink In the camper and we have an all over wash instead. Doesn't happen often, we rarely wild camp.

Finally, bog in a cupboard? Well itdoesn't worry me and I've suggested this for the new one but management seems less keen ie no way.