Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best tool for cleaning side window drains

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Not leaking yet but think I should be prepared! Whats the best tool for the small drain holes under sliding windows? Is a straight pipe or long and bendy? Should I be careful. easy to Pearce I presume!! T5.1 Cali..

I use a syringe to push water through the drain. Also worth checking the drain slot between the glass and plastic window surround. They are (if I recall) in line with main drain and barely visible ( not sure they do much).

ok will try that but if its blocked then I would be surprised if a syringe would clear it?
Was wondering if a TePe dental stick would help? Still ain’t 100% sure i know which hole is a drain ‍♂️. Need stronger specs

Cleaning the rubber seal is also a good tip, there is some special
grease that vw flog but there is an alternative cheaper way.

Cleaning the rubber seal is also a good tip, there is some special
grease that vw flog but there is an alternative cheaper way.
no leaks yet that I’m aware of .. just maintenance really... do you know the cheaper grease.. vaseline maybe?

no leaks yet that I’m aware of .. just maintenance really... do you know the cheaper grease.. vaseline maybe?
Definitely not! The real stuff is Krytox and is priced like liquid gold! I use a silicon spray on a bit of cloth. Lots of lubricants actually perish rubber but I believe Silicon is safe.

Definitely not! The real stuff is Krytox and is priced like liquid gold! I use a silicon spray on a bit of cloth. Lots of lubricants actually perish rubber but I believe Silicon is safe.
I thought you would know what the real stuff is.
I also use silicone :thumb

My motorcycle helmets (Shoei) come with silicone gel to apply regularly on the rubber visor seal: just for reassurance that it’s safe to use.

ok will try that but if its blocked then I would be surprised if a syringe would clear it?
Was wondering if a TePe dental stick would help? Still ain’t 100% sure i know which hole is a drain ‍♂. Need stronger specs
There are drain holes at each end of the window guide slot. The slot/gap between glass and plastic is less obvious and only about 1mm x 10mm so drains.jpgI doubt that it does much! Also I think its a "feature" that only appears on newer windows The picture attached is my replacement side window my original window on the side door just has the drain holes.

For unblocking maybe you could use an air line? Careful they can be quite powerful.
or maybe one of those squirty air cans that you use to clean computers?

Hi all,

slightly off topic but if anyone’s after good vehicle cleaning products, autobrite have an annual pre xmas sale on

Trombone cleaner, EBay. Used to use one to clean the roof drain holes on our Porsche soft top

Petty but .. have used it forever but The product doesn’t seem to be what it used to be, last as long and sick of it coming out the bottle every time you pick up put down ..waste loads.. been like that for years... gotta be better easier products available. ? Meguiars maybe?

Just bought two today.. Thank you
Just cleaned mine today with that, used a small paintbrush to get to the rear part of the seal then wiped off excess with a tissue.

Never bothered, but both used frequently. No leaks after 5 yrs.

Trombone cleaner, EBay. Used to use one to clean the roof drain holes on our Porsche soft top
There are a lot of those on Ebay with various different end, which do you recommend?

There are a lot of those on Ebay with various different end, which do you recommend?
Trombone cleaners are too big for the sliding windows drain as there is only about 1mm gap, use a water syringe.

My problem is, that when it's just raining, water apparently leaves the van. But if I use a syringe, I see water come in in the cupboards :confused: Right side works ok.

Should I just stop cleaning them?

Back