Bigger fuel tank upgrade

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Unfortunately my van has the 70l tank. Which means 325-370 miles before it’s time to refill.
Which isn’t good enough. My old t5.1 did anywhere between 450-550 before it was time for a refill.
Shame on Volkswagen not making the 80l tank standard on a touring vehicle...???

So who has the 80l tank and what sort of mileage are you getting.

Does anyone know if a tank upgrade is available and is it a straight forward job...???

Last edited:
This was discussed on the T6F recently and 80l tank is still an option on the transporter 4motion but not the cali, we put it down to weight???

I fitted it 2 years ago to Uk spec T6.......... it was simple but seemingly unusual......we are 204 auto 4motion and get 575-630 miles per tank on average....... smaller tank would be a pain ...

So who has the 80l tank and what sort of mileage are you getting.
I have the 80L tank and over the past 35 refuels have averaged 614 miles per tank.
31e7610912e41843793cb4fbbf818cb4.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
With the “ supposed “ better fuel economy I would have thought there would have been little difference between the T5.1 with a 80L tank and the T6, with more economical engines, and a 70L tank. Obviously there is.

You can still order the 80 litre fuel tank on a new build 4 motion Cali at least if that helps (I did Saturday :))

Our ‘18 MY came with 80L tank, some recent fill ups, still a couple of gallons left. Quite happy with that.

A9487647-2729-4B53-B58F-EA6809F50C4A.jpeg

With the “ supposed “ better fuel economy I would have thought there would have been little difference between the T5.1 with a 80L tank and the T6, with more economical engines, and a 70L tank. Obviously there is.
Yeah I fell for the same thinking. T4 to T5 to now *T6, each upgrade is doing worse on fuel, and the impending repair costs of egr / adblue tech systems to consider too.

*Should add T6 is DSG but claimed mpg is very similar to a manual.

We all know how accurate VW data is...
After 6 months with the 204 I can’t get over 400miles on a full tank, infact it’s usually around 350miles or anywhere over 30mpg.
Finding those figures very disappointing.

This van needs the 80l tank and it would be the first option I ticked if ordering a new one.

I get between 36 and rarely 42 mpg. This cannot have anything to do with the size of the tank except for the weight of 10 litres of diesel. The larger tank should give you 1/7 more miles than you get from the smaller tank. Perhaps I am missing something here :confused:

I get between 36 and rarely 42 mpg. This cannot have anything to do with the size of the tank except for the weight of 10 litres of diesel. The larger tank should give you 1/7 more miles than you get from the smaller tank. Perhaps I am missing something here :confused:
There are two different but related matters being discussed in this thread: brim to brim MPG measurements and 80L vs 70L tank range.

Bit disappointed with the last fill up though
Not just been in for service has it Colin? Perhaps with an 'upgrade' to the software? (My gearbox has completely changed character since a service and mpg has been hit). I'm wondering of the 204s out there will be 199s after their next visit to the dealer?

Not just been in for service has it Colin? Perhaps with an 'upgrade' to the software?
No, nothing like that. Odd thing is that the onboard computer gave a reading of 35+ on that fill; it is usually optimistic but not by that much. Maybe I just managed to cram more fuel in this time.

Have you asked the garage if they’ve “Upgraded” the software?

Apparently, with the additives in winter fuel it lowers
the economy.

This was discussed on the T6F recently and 80l tank is still an option on the transporter 4motion but not the cali, we put it down to weight???
I hope it is Loz as I have ordered one due for delivery in 2/3 weeks

I ordered 80l on my 199 4 motion that arrived in dec18. So its still alive and kicking as an option. First tank looks to be around 500miles. Consumption is pretty poor at the moment but its still very tight, cold start ups, 4 motion and Im doing the worst kind of journeys. looks like its doing 28 -30 mpg. I suspect its going to be a 30 - 40 mpg machine depending on the useage. Certainly stop start driving really drags it down - all that mass.

I doubt very much whether it can improve upon the T5 consumption and its worse when you consider the Ad blu cost.

Have you asked the garage if they’ve “Upgraded” the software?
I haven't yet but it is on the list for my next return (impending) with a warranty issue. We did discuss the change in the gearbox characteristics elsewhere and it seems a few of us have noticed changes (holding gears longer...almost like being in Sport....and clumsy attempts at engine braking).

Back