Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger fuel tank upgrade

I can't get Vangelis' Chariots of Fire out of my head now, thanks!

I don't think Roger Bannister had anything to do with Chariots of Fire so not sure why I though that?!

Your economy might get better as the engine & transmission beds in and the weather warms up...

Last edited:
My van currently has 22k miles.
In the last 17k I have averaged around 33mpg. It’s got better from when it was knew.

However, on a long run. I’m lucky to see 400 miles to a tank.
Fuel economy aside, I prefer the extra range the 80l tank gives.

It would be comparable to my old van. Which would return 500-550 miles per tank. A far better range. I’m not saying it was any better on fuel. Infact I’m positive the 2.0l engines are no more economical than my old old 2.5 5 pot.

That thing went like stink too, loads more torque. I don’t care what Volkswagen have been saying or quoting when they changed that engine.
The old 2.5 was a belter...

Last edited:
I can't get Vangelis' Chariots of Fire out of my head now, thanks!

I don't think Roger Bannister had anything to do with Chariots of Fire so not sure why I though that?!

Your economy might get better as the engine & transmission beds in and the weather warms up...
I'm sure it will. :thumb

You probably rarely use the last 10 litres. But it's the same with a 70 litre tank.
Every time I fill up it's because the light has just come on. :headbang And every time I tell myself to, in future fill up when it's down to half full to ensure it regenerates as it should.

How do I break the habit of a life time? :(

Every time I fill up it's because the light has just come on. :headbang And every time I tell myself to, in future fill up when it's down to half full to ensure it regenerates as it should.

How do I break the habit of a life time? :(
If you have to fill up every time it‘s half full, it‘s like having a 40 litres tank..

If you have to fill up every time it‘s half full, it‘s like having a 40 litres tank..
Plus the weight of all the fuel that's 'never' used.

Good point well made.

Don't blame me, I didn't design it. Overfill the adblue and it's a trip back to the workshop! Let the fuel tank get too low and it won't regenerate therefore the dpf soots up. All in all a cracking piece of automotive design!!!

Plus the weight of all the fuel that's 'never' used.
Well apparently that's the way it's been designed. Let the fuel get to low and it won't regenerate. So you can use all of the fuel in the T6 fuel tank but only at the expense of hastening the death of the dpf.

I recently had a warranty replacement of the nearside floor rail, as part of the works the dealer informed me that the fuel tank would have to come out the allow access to the fixings to remove the floor rail.
I asked if the fuel tank could be changed to an 80L fuel tank, especially as the exiting tank had to be removed, the answer that quickly came back was no,
I was told the 80L tank parts are not a available to order!
So it appears that a retro upgrade, dealer fit, is not possible, if you want an 80L tank spec it from new or fit a second hand tank.

Whilst the van was at the dealer & despite my specific written instructions not to carry out the Adblue update, they carried it out anyway but failed to tell me, let alone provide any paperwork or a voucher for the free add blue fills !

Mine goes in Monday for an issue with exhaust fumes getting into the van. They mentioned an ECU update.
I’ve told them no way. I have after market cruise fitted and the last upgrade wiped out the cruise control.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the bigger fuel tank is a no go...:confused:

The 80l parts will be available to order just not against your chassis code. Always gets this with modern parts system which are linked to chassis. The way around it is to use the chassis number of an 80l california but you need a helpful parts guy to navigate and spot the different parts. In short a pita these days.

Well apparently that's the way it's been designed. Let the fuel get to low and it won't regenerate. So you can use all of the fuel in the T6 fuel tank but only at the expense of hastening the death of the dpf.
I don't see it as much of a problem. Regeneration stops below 1/4 tank, warning light comes on at 1/8 tank, so if you wait until the warning light comes on the period without a regeneration is ~60 miles, possibly one missed regenation per refuel. The problems would occur if you only ever partially refuel - a tenner of diesel everytime the warning light comes on, for example.

I don't see it as much of a problem. Regeneration stops below 1/4 tank, warning light comes on at 1/8 tank, so if you wait until the warning light comes on the period without a regeneration is ~60 miles, possibly one missed regenation per refuel. The problems would occur if you only ever partially refuel - a tenner of diesel everytime the warning light comes on, for example.
You're right, it isn't a major issue but you have to admit that it's hardly the T6's best feature. Every other vehicle that I ever owned, bar my last Beach, hasn't had this feature. I just filled them up and ran them until they were almost empty. Still that's progress I suppose.

Mine goes in Monday for an issue with exhaust fumes getting into the van. They mentioned an ECU update.
I’ve told them no way. I have after market cruise fitted and the last upgrade wiped out the cruise control.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the bigger fuel tank is a no go...:confused:
Probably restore to what was the factory spec. ie no cruise fitted - regardless of any subsequent upgrades. Bit of jobsworths blinkers.

Is this possible? I bought a stock car but unfortunately with 70L only.

How easy is to replace?

Is it costly?

Worthed? How many KMs you get more in comparison.

On the configurator is only 85 swiss francs.
I was reading your comments is there a problem

with the reserve sensors after the upgrade?

Is this possible? I bought a stock car but unfortunately with 70L only.

How easy is to replace?

Is it costly?

On the configurator is only 85 swiss francs.
I was reading your comments is there a problem

with the reserve sensors after the upgrade?

80l fuel tank on a California really should be standard...
I’ve not looked any further into this, as some of the replies above sounded like it wasn’t possible without a lot of work/expense...
My next van will have 80l tank...

If you can use the whole 10 liters, it's easy to calculate. What is your average mpg?
I get about 7,7 liter / 100km, so I could drive over 100km further than you. In fact, if you have the same mpg (average) as me, I really go 130 km further than you, as I have the 80 liter tank. In my time, it wasn't even an option.
That option came with the AdBlue. As that tank of? 10 - 20 liter? is 10 - 20 kgs. So for weight reasons (on a 2500kg van) they changed to a smaller tank as standard? Doesn't make sense.

I asked if the fuel tank could be changed to an 80L fuel tank, especially as the exiting tank had to be removed, the answer that quickly came back was no,
I was told the 80L tank parts are not a available to order!
In my opinion that is a load of bullshit. What if you had a 80 liter tank and it was punctured by anything? Then they would have to order a 80 liter tank for you.
They just won't take the risk of fitting another tank for whatever reason they won't.
Everything is possible to change, but who will take the responsibility if something goes wrong?

Sorry guys, this is quite funny, the T4 came with a 80lt tank but, you can get 95lt in the tank brimmed, regularly see 900km 1,000km then the ass starts to twitch.

But what is the difference in production cost for a 70 v 80lt tank, probably close to zero, it’s just VW using the same old adage “added value” to make a few coin.

Sorry guys, this is quite funny, the T4 came with a 80lt tank but, you can get 95lt in the tank brimmed, regularly see 900km 1,000km then the ass starts to twitch.

But what is the difference in production cost for a 70 v 80lt tank, probably close to zero, it’s just VW using the same old adage “added value” to make a few coin.
I love my Cali, but I ------------ VW.

1200 km is not unreachable for me too. When the warning light goes on, I can put in 80 liters. With the needle flat it should go over 85 liter.

If you can use the whole 10 liters, it's easy to calculate. What is your average mpg?
I get about 7,7 liter / 100km, so I could drive over 100km further than you. In fact, if you have the same mpg (average) as me, I really go 130 km further than you, as I have the 80 liter tank. In my time, it wasn't even an option.
That option came with the AdBlue. As that tank of? 10 - 20 liter? is 10 - 20 kgs. So for weight reasons (on a 2500kg van) they changed to a smaller tank as standard? Doesn't make sense.

In my opinion that is a load of bullshit. What if you had a 80 liter tank and it was punctured by anything? Then they would have to order a 80 liter tank for you.
They just won't take the risk of fitting another tank for whatever reason they won't.
Everything is possible to change, but who will take the responsibility if something goes wrong?
Are you certain that the contents sensor/float and mountings are the same?

A 70 for a 70 or an 80 for an 80 tank may not be the same as a 70 for an 80, which could explain the quick response of not available. (I don't have any information relating to 70 to 80 parts)

Commercial vehicle Buyers are extremely sensitive to Payload capability and reducing fuel weight to compensate for Adblue weight could make or break a fleet purchase.

Are you certain that the contents sensor/float and mountings are the same?

A 70 for a 70 or an 80 for an 80 tank may not be the same as a 70 for an 80, which could explain the quick response of not available. (I don't have any information relating to 70 to 80 parts)

Commercial vehicle Buyers are extremely sensitive to Payload capability and reducing fuel weight to compensate for Adblue weight could make or break a fleet purchase.
I didn't say all will be the same. It's just not true they can't order those parts, because if you have a 80 liter tank, and it needs replacing, they can and will order the right parts. It must be possible to change, but then you will have to change all that is needed.
As for the mountings, the chassis of the van is all the same, so the fixing points (if different) will be there in place but not used.

Cheapest 80l one on eBay is 145€, tank only no pump.
View attachment 59586

For the T5 there is one 150l but costs 2075€ + 650 fitting with TÜV.
a guy on the german cali site got one fitted.

Wow... 150L... That's nice... Simply forget about the tanking up...

Yeah on the T6 the 70 is standard and 80L is an extra :(

Back