Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger fuel tank upgrade

Similar figures to me. But yours is a 4m...?
I presume if a 204 hp engine/4WD is fitted the driver tends to use the extra performance for the fun of it regardless of the extra cost. If those figures are correct and the engine is not defective a 80 ltr tank would still be too small for me.
I normally have at least 400 miles on the odometer before I refuel (70 ltr tank) and I do not wait for the warning light. Mind you if you are a press on type driver you would not enjoy being behind me on a single carriageway road.

I presume if a 204 hp engine/4WD is fitted the driver tends to use the extra performance for the fun of it regardless of the extra cost. If those figures are correct and the engine is not defective a 80 ltr tank would still be too small for me.
I normally have at least 400 miles on the odometer before I refuel (70 ltr tank) and I do not wait for the warning light. Mind you if you are a press on type driver you would not enjoy being behind me on a single carriageway road.
Well I have a 180 4Motion with a 80 Litre tank and easily get 500 + miles and definitely use the extra HP.
Normally down to 1/4 tank before I fill up, on the gauge, and milage covered normally 450-480 at that point and MFD range showing anything from 60 - 120+ miles.

So a big difference compared with the T6 equivalent.

Well I have a 180 4Motion with a 80 Litre tank and easily get 500 + miles and definitely use the extra HP.
Normally down to 1/4 tank before I fill up, on the gauge, and milage covered normally 450-480 at that point and MFD range showing anything from 60 - 120+ miles.

So a big difference compared with the T6 equivalent.

Yeah, but you probably used about 15 litres of oil too ;)

:Iamsorry

I got our 80L fitted as an option. We can comfortably do 700kms between fill ups if necessary. To be honest, I don't mind a fuel & coffee stop as we are never in that much of a hurry to get anywhere.

To be honest I do not get the point of this discussion … the MpG is the same despite the size of the tank (;)) and when driving a tank from full to empty in one go (no matter if 70 or 80 litres). Everyone should take a break for the sake of safe driving …

Agree but rather take a break where there is something nice to look at rather than a fuel station.

I have had both (70L and 80L) … to be honest I never send it a thought. When needed I fill it up. Quite simple.

Well not quite true – when I went from 80 to 70 I thought it would be a problem, and I was not too happy with the downgrade. BUT as you see I was proven wrong. I think a lot of the argumentation is taken of a theoretical point of view rather than a real-life situation – at least what applies for myself :)

Would I go for 80 next time I get myself a new Cali? Yes, but just because it is possible. And I can. But again, would a 70 tank hold me back from buying … not a second.

I came here from a Landrover which had a 90 litre tank so missing the 20, having to fill up more often as the LR did a similar MPG, having the 70 wouldn't stop me buying as that is what we have but if buying new would go for the 80.

I had a service on 22nd Jan and have now returned from a trip to France. No noticeable DSG issues. Local/short runs are giving 29 ish MPG both here and in France.
Fuel to ferry in UK 33mpg, France, ferry to home 30mpg. Windy.
return trip had 33mpg to French ferry and 36mpg on the UK run back home. Calm weather.
Both below high 30's previously found on same run.

Biggest difference is that it now has much less top end power, noticeable out of roundabouts or lane changing to match the speed rate of the outer lane. feels like as much as 10PS loss of power.

No comment from Dealer when queried on any changes made.

I had a service on 22nd Jan and have now returned from a trip to France. No noticeable DSG issues. Local/short runs are giving 29 ish MPG both here and in France.
Fuel to ferry in UK 33mpg, France, ferry to home 30mpg. Windy.
return trip had 33mpg to French ferry and 36mpg on the UK run back home. Calm weather.
Both below high 30's previously found on same run.

Biggest difference is that it now has much less top end power, noticeable out of roundabouts or lane changing to match the speed rate of the outer lane. feels like as much as 10PS loss of power.

No comment from Dealer when queried on any changes made.
Do you think they have carried out an “update”? Might be worth a thread on it’s own if you think they are detuning our vans?

Do you think they have carried out an “update”? Might be worth a thread on it’s own if you think they are detuning our vans?
This was in response to an earlier sidetrack relating to this, in this thread. I should have put it as a reply.

So looking at this again...
The biggest annoyance with my current van is the 70l tank. The range is very much comprised.
The van has 22k miles and i average about 30mpg around 350-400 miles if I'm lucky.

So the question is if anyone reads this,
Has anyone retro-fitted the bigger 80l tank...?

So looking at this again...
The biggest annoyance with my current van is the 70l tank. The range is very much comprised.
The van has 22k miles and i average about 30mpg around 350-400 miles if I'm lucky.

So the question is if anyone reads this,
Has anyone retro-fitted the bigger 80l tank...?
I'd just carry a 10ltr can of extra fuel to add when tank was down to 3/4 or a 1/2 if on a 500 mile run with no Service Points for fuel..
Don't have an issue with my 70 ltr tank with over 400 mile range. Grew up with cars that only did 180 or so miles on a tank, 300 was good.

I'd just carry a 10ltr can of extra fuel to add when tank was down to 3/4 or a 1/2 if on a 500 mile run with no Service Points for fuel..
Don't have an issue with my 70 ltr tank with over 400 mile range. Grew up with cars that only did 180 or so miles on a tank, 300 was good.

The difference on long journeys canbe 100-150 miles. I would rather just keep driving then have to stop for another refill.
I find the 70l tank infuriating...

Considered exchanging the van, as I want a couple of upgrades, but unfortunately not a fan of the latest design. So I guess I’m sticking with the current T6 for a while now.
Might be feasible to have the tank upgraded if possible.

For what it's worth, we have a new Beach with an 80l fuel tank. I filled it right up yesterday and it then stated the range was 500 miles. It has only done a 1000 miles so far so it's too early to give any form of brim to brim mpg figure. I let it do a few more miles before I work that out.

I also bought exactly one gallon of Adblue from the pump. This precise ammount was really to find out how much it was for a gallon. It cost me £2.73.

For what it's worth, we have a new Beach with an 80l fuel tank. I filled it right up yesterday and it then stated the range was 500 miles. It has only done a 1000 miles so far so it's too early to give any form of brim to brim mpg figure. I let it do a few more miles before I work that out.

I also bought exactly one gallon of Adblue from the pump. This precise ammount was really to find out how much it was for a gallon. It cost me £2.73.
I regularly manage over 600 miles on our 80 litre tank, on good runs.

I once managed 997 miles from a 75 litre tank in my Peugeot 406.

The difference on long journeys canbe 100-150 miles.
The 10l difference is 2.2gallon. At 35mpg that would suggest 77 miles added range from the 80l tank.

I have the 199 4motion with the 80 litre tank - its done approx 10k miles.

I ran it down to 0 miles range and filled it to the brim with standard diesel - it took approx 74 litres. With mixed driving of motorways, a-roads and back country roads it manages around 500-560 miles per tank. so its averaging I would say 30-34 mpg over a full tank.

Has anyone tried the advanced diesel fuels to see if there is an effect on range/consumption? Whilst I totally get the unleaded premium with increase RON etc - I've never really understood the difference between diesel versions...

A seventh further.
Yes but the post I referenced suggested it could be 150 miles difference which would require 68mpg.

I agree the 80l tank is a nice have. I noticed the difference as I've swapped my vans around - thankfully back up to 80l at the moment.

I regularly manage over 600 miles on our 80 litre tank, on good runs.

I once managed 997 miles from a 75 litre tank in my Peugeot 406.

I am sure that the 500 mile range has been generated by the vehicle, based on what our usage has been to date. Apart from one long trip it's all been local short distance stuff.

I know it's all very approximate but if an 80 litre tank has a range of 500 miles then that's only 28.44 mpg. Our previous manual Beach said it was doing a average of about 37 mpg on the mfd. I never did do a more accurate brim to brim test as it wouldn't have changed anything for me. Our current van is the DSG version which is supposed to be slightly more economical although having said that VW have recently been messing around with the engines to improve emissions so that may no longer be the case.

The best that I've managed re range was just over 1000 miles. That was with a 1994 N reg VW Passat TDi. Brilliant car, very roomy and so economical. It was always a challenge to see how far it would go on a tank full. Going over the 1000 mile on a single tank was a real Roger Bannister moment.

Back