Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

bike carrier

H

hank

I am about to order a new Calif 180. I was going to have the bike carrier on the rear door. But on a blog by an owner he says that this method increases fuel consumption. He favours a tow bar mounted unite from Thule.

What do people think? :help

Had a similar dilemma, the VW bike rack is big and unnecessary for the majority of the time and the tow bar just too much to spend just for the bike rack. However we will probably get something like the Atera Linea or something similar which looks easier to take on and off and is less than half the price of the VW. Its one of those items we will pick up when the right one comes along.

Andy

The VW bike rack does make the Cali look less like a van and I'm not sure it makes a big difference to consumption when empty which is most of the time. It's also a piece of cake to use and makes a great towel and clothes dryer as well.. :D

We thought long an hard about which bike carrier; but after talking to many owners at mountain bike centres settled on the VW job.
It is expensive and it is fairly heavy although easy to fit. If you carry more than 2 adult mtb's you will need to do a bit of faffing to get them to fit together on the racks. Dropping saddles and turning bars sideways helps.
Security is also of some concern as the rack is only held on by 2 x 5mm hex bolts.
Any rack will affect fuel consumption even when not being used due to weight; but with rack + 2 mtb's we manage about 32mpg on m/ways at a steady 55-60 mph in our 180 4motion manual.

Thanks for every bodies responses. Will probably go for the door mounted vw model. My spec is a 180 BMT 4Motion DSG plus Driver Pack and Camper Pack with safe and tow bar. :thanks

Back