Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike handle close to window… anything to worry about?

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hey y’all

I tried the new VW bike rack today. Overall feels pretty solid, we drove along and no issues.

It just looks really close to the rear window (about 1 inch max) and I thinking some bump in the road could cause it to smash the rear window.

I was thinking of keeping an allen key with the bike and always losening the handle bar. Or maybe covering the end of the bar with something to protect the rear window.

Any thoughts? Am I over worrying? Anyone had any issues?

DA73AC4E-DE2F-45D1-98F6-ACBABFCBD941.jpeg

I take it that the bike rack is attached to a tow bar?

I use a pair of socks, the lumpy soft bit between bar and window and the holding sock over the bar keeping it all in place.

If it's raining it means one pair of soggy socks to rinse through, if not then a good storage space for a spare pair of socks :D

** I find a pair of ankle socks best, I use running socks ....

I use a pair of socks, the lumpy soft bit between bar and window and the holding sock over the bar keeping it all in place.

If it's raining it means one pair of soggy socks to rinse through, if not then a good storage space for a spare pair of socks :D

** I find a pair of ankle socks best, I use running socks ....
That’ll do! Thanks :thumb

What can happen is, if you let kids play in the van whilst camping, they will push every button
in there including pushing the wiper stick forward, which means that the rear wiper is turned on.

You won't know that it's turned on as you drive away because you have a nice volume
of music playing and the rear blind is always closed anyway, right..

When you arrive home the rear wiper will be pointing at the towbar because it was
trying to wipe the window but kept hitting that bicycle pedal that was close to the window,
because Vdubs are so good, it won't stop its cycle until it's stripped its threads.

So now you will need a new spline, but the old one won't come off, so you have to
grind it off which can be tricky.
Fitting the new spline is easy peasy.

What can happen is, if you let kids play in the van whilst camping, they will push every button
in there including pushing the wiper stick forward, which means that the rear wiper is turned on.

You won't know that it's turned on as you drive away because you have a nice volume
of music playing and the rear blind is always closed anyway, right..

When you arrive home the rear wiper will be pointing at the towbar because it was
trying to wipe the window but kept hitting that bicycle pedal that was close to the window,
because Vdubs are so good, it won't stop its cycle until it's stripped its threads.

So now you will need a new spline, but the old one won't come off, so you have to
grind it off which can be tricky.
Fitting the new spline is easy peasy.
Personal experience?

Pull that white rubber end stop out about a cm and put some rubber bands around the exposed white rubber. Rubber hitting the window won’t do any harm unlike metal end of handlebar.

If you are worried, just loosen the stem nuts (not the one on the top of the stem) and twist the bars so they are parallel to the frame.
That’s what I’m thinking too, it’s the only part of the setup which looks risky so would be the sure way to eliminate that risk.

Socks, pull out handle, bars parallel to the frame… pretty good options I’ll check my risk appetite and choose accordingly !

Pull that white rubber end stop out about a cm and put some rubber bands around the exposed white rubber. Rubber hitting the window won’t do any harm unlike metal end of handlebar.
That’s a good one, thanks, will try :thumb

Hey y’all

I tried the new VW bike rack today. Overall feels pretty solid, we drove along and no issues.

It just looks really close to the rear window (about 1 inch max) and I thinking some bump in the road could cause it to smash the rear window.

I was thinking of keeping an allen key with the bike and always losening the handle bar. Or maybe covering the end of the bar with something to protect the rear window.

Any thoughts? Am I over worrying? Anyone had any issues?

View attachment 98515
My DH bike has 800mm wide bars plus a bit more with the grips on, have driven many 000's of KMs with it on the inside rack position without it bashing the rear window.
Push pressure down on the tire and tighten the ratchet strap, front wheel then rear, repeat until both are tight as ..., Loosen the clamp then re-tighten, the bike will usually reset a few mm further away.

My DH bike has 800mm wide bars plus a bit more with the grips on, have driven many 000's of KMs with it on the inside rack position without it bashing the rear window.
Push pressure down on the tire and tighten the ratchet strap, front wheel then rear, repeat until both are tight as ..., Loosen the clamp then re-tighten, the bike will usually reset a few mm further away.
Thanks bud