Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack - From 2 to 4 bikes

Whitehouse_03

Whitehouse_03

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi. We would appreciate some advice please. We want our bike rack to hold 4 bikes - what are our options please? Can we had struts or do we need a whole new rack? Thank you

C10C2D59-F0B6-46DE-92BF-FC237953A3A5.jpeg

Looks like your rack has been cut down as they start out as a four bike rack.
Probably have to have a new one as I don't think many parts are available.

Looks like your rack has been cut down as they start out as a four bike rack.
Probably have to have a new one as I don't think many parts are available.
Thanks. That’s a shame. I had hoped there would be a nice easy solution to adding to it!

Thanks. That’s a shame. I had hoped there would be a nice easy solution to adding to it!
Thats quite a strange one...almost all I've seen are 4 bike carriers.
How does your rack attach at the top? From the picture it looks like two straps that clip over the lip on the rear door.
We have no need for a 4 bike rack so would consider buying your one if it is low priced?
This would give you some money towards a new 4 bike rack
Let me know.

Thats quite a strange one...almost all I've seen are 4 bike carriers.
How does your rack attach at the top? From the picture it looks like two straps that clip over the lip on the rear door.
We have no need for a 4 bike rack so would consider buying your one if it is low priced?
This would give you some money towards a new 4 bike rack
Let me know.
I believe it’s the same fittings as the 4 racks, no straps. I’ve never really looked at it so I will. Do you have a 4 rack the same as this we could potentially do a deal on a swap? I see you are not too far from me...

No sorry I don't have a 4 rack as we would never use it fully.
How old is your 2 rack and what would take for it?
I’ll let you know if we decide to sell as I would rather adapt this one if it’s possible. Thanks

I’ll let you know if we decide to sell as I would rather adapt this one if it’s possible. Thanks

Hi
I have looked on the Thule site and its not one of theirs.
Would definitely like to be given first option to buy if you can't adapt your 2 bike one :)
Just post reply to this if that is the case or email me from my personal contact details please

That's the standard VW rack, modified to just carry two bikes. You might be able to restore the fold out frame as it appears to have been cut and re-attached further in to make it smaller, but you will also need to acquire two more carriers for the bikes. You might be able to improvise those?

Ignoring the cost of adapting the actual rack itself (which I think may be fairly expensive), have you calculated whet it is going to cost you to buy 2x bike rails plus 2x bike supports?

I personally think that the costs to retrospectively put back the 4x bike assembly will be too high when compared to cutting your costs by selling off what you have and buying fresh.

I agree with Alan and it’s definitely a cut down VW T5 Kylie bike rack. I’m sure someone with a T5 will buy it and it may be of interest to people who tow a trailer or who want better rear visibility. I believe that you can’t get any structural parts for them. You may get more interest on the t4forum which covers T5.

Thanks all, that’s helpful. I think selling it sounds like the best option then!

I agree with Alan and it’s definitely a cut down VW T5 Kylie bike rack. I’m sure someone with a T5 will buy it and it may be of interest to people who tow a trailer or who want better rear visibility. I believe that you can’t get any structural parts for them. You may get more interest on the t4forum which covers T5.

Hi. Would a T5 Kylie (why is it called a Kylie?..'cos it looks good?) fit on my T6 Ocean?

8E76F37A-9EA3-4AEB-B37A-5D5080700529.jpeg Actually all you need are 2 extra rails and someone that is good at welding aluminium butt joints. The arms of part B were originally joined at their lower ends to the respective upper ends of the arms of part B. Someone has cut it and squashed the arms of B together to fit into A. Fiamma sell rails but they won’t match the existing 2 in shape or colour.

Hi. Would a T5 Kylie (why is it called a Kylie?..'cos it looks good?) fit on my T6 Ocean?

Yes because it’s curvy and beautiful like Kylie unlike the other which is ugly like Quasimodo! Read these posts

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/and-the-purpose-of-a-cali-bike-rack-is.26715/#post-305446

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/for-sale-vw-t6-bike-rack.27573/

The Kylie is available in a T5 version and a T6 version. The Quasi is T6 only. A T5 Kylie will not fit a T6 and vice versa as the brackets are different due to the different tailgate shapes.

Back