Bike rack

davetherave

davetherave

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
does any one know if the vw t5 rack will fit the t6 please regards dave

does any one know if the vw t5 rack will fit the t6 please regards dave
no it won't, different profile on the T6 tailgate. I think there are two variants of VW T6 bike rack, one is similar in looks to the T5 but harder to get hold of. T6 owners correct me if i am wrong.

Correct, the T6 rack has different profile hangars off the top of the tailgate, as it sits further away from the rear screen than the T5 rack. The T5 style rack I think is still available on the continent but no longer being shipped to the UK, so you have to make do with the T6 'fugly' rack as most seem to call it (though i've recently bought one and have now got used to it's angular looks).

anybody know why they changed it? I am planning on the T5 style rack for T6.

I was speaking with Steve at SMG last week and they have the T5 style for the T6 currently in stock, so may be worth speaking to him if you are after one.

Ok thanks I have seen them being retailed but will check any price

Thanks again.

I've been right through this now on a lot of the other threads.
The T5 rack (Kylie) was replaced with the T6 rack (Quasi) and not well received by owners. On top of which, if your tailgate is electrically operated then you should not use the T6 rack (Quasi).
So what ever went on in the past regarding being available in this country (UK) you can definately get a T5 style rack (Kylie) for the T6. It has modified fitting arrangement and caters for electric tailgates. The part number has an 'A' on the end but is otherwise the same as Kylie's part number.
I have just (yesterday) sent one back to SMG Tonbridge all boxed up if anyone wants the T6 Kylie style as I actually prefer Quasi.
Each to their own but after much deliberation, browsing and thought Kylie's styling is now dated for me :shocked

I had a T5 with the old rack and was disappointed when I had to go for the new style when changing to the T6.
However... one year on and I now much prefer the new rack, it is much easier to attach bikes due to strap system used, also the bikes sit further out from the rear door which means less chance of the Handle bars damaging the roof when raised, also the rack clips up with spring clamps when folded.
I think it’s a more functional design, just my opinion and each to their own