Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Racks

G

Gilesyboy

Hello from Germany. I have done a fair bit of reading of the forum over the past few months, and it I found it really useful in helping choose and buy our Cali and now using it. So thanks everybody!!

We have been away for a couple of long weekends to the Alps, Zell am See in Austria and to Kalterersee in Italy, which are both 3-4 hours drive from home.

On our trips we identified a few little things that would make things easier that we’re going to buy e.g. side awning panels, longer power cable, but the biggest problems I have found is the VW Bike Rack that we use to carry 3 bikes (a Roadbike and 2 mountain bikes).

Although I am getting the knack of how to fit each bike so they all align, by the time I have messed about turning handlebars etc., it’s still an oily and sweaty 20 minute job. I am too lazy for that every time we’re going somewhere or leaving a campsite, and I am dreading having to it in the rain.

And no matter how I mount the bikes the tailgate cannot be fully opened when the roof is up, so basically once you’ve packed the bikes it’s a 2 person job to grab something out of the back, 1 person to hold it open the other to grab whatever.

We have a towbar, so started to research towbar carriers, but there’s so much choice, I wondered if anyone has any recommendations of other products that will solve / reduce my problems or any hints and tips to help us choose one?

Ideally we want something where we can just put the bikes on without needing to turn handle bars etc. and where we can still open the tailgate without taking the bikes off.

Thanks!!

I believe the atera strada dl3 allows tailgate to open. Others may not.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hi,
Im also from Germany. Try the Uebler P31...... You can open the hatch with the bikes on the rack!! I have the P21 and for me its the best ever!

This thread is a bit historic and I'm hoping that over the last two years there may be a few more folk with experience of using tow bar-mounted cycle carriers on their Californias.

Specifically, I am very keen to hear from anyone who has a Westfalia vertical removable tow hitch and who has used a carrier capable of taking two battery-assisted (pedelec) bikes weighing approx. 25 kg each.

Who has found a carrier which allows the rear door of the Cali to be opened without taking the bikes off the carrier? From my researches it looks as though the Ueblar P22S and, possibly, the Thule Classic G6 may fit the bill but I would very much like to hear of the experience of other members a.s.a.p.

P.S. The Atera Strada DL3 seems to be popular and allows access to the rear door but unfortunately is not suitable for the weight of pedelecs.

Atera do ones that are though. Have a look st roofbox.

Mike

Atera do ones that are though. Have a look st roofbox.

Mike
Thanks for the Atera suggestion Mike.

Unfortunately Roof Box Co. advise that the Strada DL3 is the only carrier in the Atera range which will allow the tailgate to be opened with bikes mounted but the carrier has a max weight per bike of 15kg, and so is no good even for two pedelecs.

Thanks for the Atera suggestion Mike.

Unfortunately Roof Box Co. advise that the Strada DL3 is the only carrier in the Atera range which will allow the tailgate to be opened with bikes mounted but the carrier has a max weight per bike of 15kg, and so is no good even for two pedelecs.
Right that's a shame. Good hunting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back