Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blackvue Front and Rear dashcam

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Has anybody fitted a dashcam with parking mode in an Ocean t6.1? The Blackvue Power Magic Pro device (which protects the starter battery voltage) requires both permanent and switched connections at the fuse box. I can test for permanent and switched but just wondered which fuses might be preferred and which ones others might have used?

Has anybody fitted a dashcam with parking mode in an Ocean t6.1? The Blackvue Power Magic Pro device (which protects the starter battery voltage) requires both permanent and switched connections at the fuse box. I can test for permanent and switched but just wondered which fuses might be preferred and which ones others might have used?

For switched - piggy back the cab ventilation controls
Unswitched - piggy back 12vdash socket fuse (mine stays live all the time)

For switched - piggy back the cab ventilation controls
Unswitched - piggy back 12vdash socket fuse (mine stays live all the time)
Thanks Ch1pbutty. Any idea of fuse numbers. Assume fuse box on passenger footwell side.

Thanks Ch1pbutty. Any idea of fuse numbers. Assume fuse box on passenger footwell side.
Those are vehicle rather than camping circuits so central dashboard fuseboard.

There’s live, ignition live and earth in the roof behind the control panel: read post #4 here and the first 6 paragraphs of post #69 here

[/QUOTE]

There’s live, ignition live and earth in the roof behind the control panel: read post #4 here and the first 6 paragraphs of post #69 here

[/QUOTE]
H Wiggly Woo, I think I would have an issue wiring behind the control panel (6.1) because I’m going to need to install the Power Magic Pro device (I think) as well as the camera. That’s the thing that stops the starter battery being drained if the camera is in Parking Mode. It’s a small box with a switch and it needs to be accessible after fitting.

H Wiggly Woo, I think I would have an issue wiring behind the control panel (6.1) because I’m going to need to install the Power Magic Pro device (I think) as well as the camera. That’s the thing that stops the starter battery being drained if the camera is in Parking Mode. It’s a small box with a switch and it needs to be accessible after fitting.
[/QUOTE]
You mentioned in a few of your posts that you were planning to install solar. If you go for a dual battery system, it will keep the starter battery topped up (if parked with a view of the sky) despite the small load from a dash cam. Would this prevent the added complication of the Power Magic Pro. If you’re parking it under cover, can you plug in shore power, which will also maintain the batteries?

You mentioned in a few of your posts that you were planning to install solar. If you go for a dual battery system, it will keep the starter battery topped up (if parked with a view of the sky) despite the small load from a dash cam. Would this prevent the added complication of the Power Magic Pro. If you’re parking it under cover, can you plug in shore power, which will also maintain the batteries?
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Yes I am going for solar (dual panel with leisure and starter battery charger). I did wonder if that would negate the need for the Power Magic Pro.

Been looking at dash cams and whilst the Blackvue is no doubt one of the best and pretty discrete. I like the idea of the cloud as well, but I am keen on parking mode and motion sensing as my van will sit on the drive.

that all said there seems to an issue about power consumption in parking mode, now my van will be used daily but only a few miles commute, long gone are hors sat on the M6 thank god.

so just what sort of parking mode duration can I realistically expect, I would have a front and rear install but only need front when on the drive. I don’t fancy splashing out on a battery. Any users want to pitch in? Is camera overheating an issue?

Apologies GG I don’t mean to hijack your thread I just thought it may interest you as well. If not give me a dig and I will delete

I’ve got BlackVue front and rear with powermagic pro too and a single 110w solar panel that charges both engine and leisure batteries. It depends on how often you’re using it and also what the time of year is. But I’d certainly say it’s worth having the power magic pro too. In the summer It stays alert all the time and sends recordings to the cloud if the movement sensors are triggered. In the winter if I don’t use it for a few days then it wont do this as the engine battery drops to a preset voltage level and powermagic pro protects it. Even though the solar trickles both batteries, it prioritises the leisure so only seems to produce enough to run the other device I have running off the leisure battery. Logically I suppose you could connect to the leisure batteries instead. Unfortunately I can’t advise on which fuse it’s into as someone did it for me and I stupidly didn’t check. It is connected behind the dash though and the power magic pro sits in behind the infotainment system.

I’ve got BlackVue front and rear with powermagic pro too and a single 110w solar panel that charges both engine and leisure batteries. It depends on how often you’re using it and also what the time of year is. But I’d certainly say it’s worth having the power magic pro too. In the summer It stays alert all the time and sends recordings to the cloud if the movement sensors are triggered. In the winter if I don’t use it for a few days then it wont do this as the engine battery drops to a preset voltage level and powermagic pro protects it. Even though the solar trickles both batteries, it prioritises the leisure so only seems to produce enough to run the other device I have running off the leisure battery. Logically I suppose you could connect to the leisure batteries instead. Unfortunately I can’t advise on which fuse it’s into as someone did it for me and I stupidly didn’t check. It is connected behind the dash though and the power magic pro sits in behind the infotainment system.
Cheers for that, great to have feedback from a user rather than reviewer across the pond. I can certainly root through the fuses and power off the leisure, I will definitely get the Powermagic. A solar would be the solution long term for me I think. I can easily top up the leisure batteries from mains as its on the drive.

Big question how many hours do you reckon it would take to drain a charged battery? Should it get through a night before Powermagic kicks

Do you not have access to the Power Magic Pro? It has a switch that allows you to turn off parking mode (maybe that can also be done using the App? I don’t know)

Cheers for that, great to have feedback from a user rather than reviewer across the pond. I can certainly root through the fuses and power off the leisure, I will definitely get the Powermagic. A solar would be the solution long term for me I think. I can easily top up the leisure batteries from mains as its on the drive.

Big question how many hours do you reckon it would take to drain a charged battery? Should it get through a night before Powermagic kicks
Yes pretty sure it manages that but it does depend how you set it up. I have mine set to Physical motion sensors only whereas it can be set to Visuals which will probably use more power.

Do you not have access to the Power Magic Pro? It has a switch that allows you to turn off parking mode (maybe that can also be done using the App? I don’t know)
Yes I can get to mine - I have to take the radio out though. On it I can change switches to set the voltage limit and a few other things. The camera itself though has lots of configuration options through its app which are really easy to do.

I powered my Blackvue and Magic Pro from the leisure batteries and ran an ignition switched feed from the dashboard fuse panel. My theory was that the 2 batteries are going to power the camera system for longer and as I have a DSG box, I didn't want to be left with a low engine battery.

I also added a switch to the system to power it all down when on site.

Has worked well so far.

Alan

I powered my Blackvue and Magic Pro from the leisure batteries and ran an ignition switched feed from the dashboard fuse panel. My theory was that the 2 batteries are going to power the camera system for longer and as I have a DSG box, I didn't want to be left with a low engine battery.

I also added a switch to the system to power it all down when on site.

Has worked well so far.

Alan
Good point Alan. I also have a switch to power it down otherwise it gets triggered all the time when you’re staying away, and it’s far too fiddly to unplug the camera itself, especially since mine is tucked right up next to the mirror.

Hubby is away atm so unable to clearly give instruction of our Blackvue front and rear cameras - just know we have a switch under front footwell to switch off when not needed on campsite. He fed wiring through headlining thru back of lights above kitchen into wardrobe and rear cupboard down a small hole into rear door, Gingerly pulled away the rear door facia to fit/hid wiring for rear camera.
We forgot to switch front camera off on a campsite one day and had some great footage of the goings on around us which we wouldnt have otherwise particularly payed attn to whilst chilling out.

Anybody put a larger SD card in a Blackvue camera? Mine comes with a 32Gb card but thinking of buying a bigger one. However Blackvue says it MUST be one of there’s !!??
If so I won’t bother as they want to charge £318.95 for a 256Gb !!! Crazy, you can buy a good quality card (Sandisk) of that size for about £50.

Anybody put a larger SD card in a Blackvue camera? Mine comes with a 32Gb card but thinking of buying a bigger one. However Blackvue says it MUST be one of there’s !!??
If so I won’t bother as they want to charge £318.95 for a 256Gb !!! Crazy, you can buy a good quality card (Sandisk) of that size for about £50.
Can’t see why it should be, it’s storage only surely. I would Take a punt on a bigger one just make sure it is fast enough to transfer the video resolutio. Always need storage cards or easily sold on fleabay.
see what files,if any, are on the Blackvue card to see if there are anything other than video files.

worth a watch

Last edited:
Nice feature on my Blackvue DR750 2-CH LTE.
GPS Tracking.

D6C463D8-506D-420F-95D6-25D745AC3758.png

Ah, you live near Halton. Used to live in High Moors, Halton, when I was posted to RAF Hospital Halton back in the mid 70's.

Was the jet plane at the front gates then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the jet plane at the front gates then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think so. I was there for about 2 yrs before being posted to RAF Hospital Wroughton, nr Swindon. Did all the Aeromed Evacuations flying out of Brize Norton or Lyneham.

Back