Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blanking out Reg Number

S

Stu@rt

Vehicle
N/A
Ok so they might get away with driving without tax or insurance? What risk does it pose to me?
You get parking fines and speeding fines sent to your address and spend ages trying to convince the authorities and or debt collectors that you shouldn't pay the fines

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
If someone steals a white over bay leaf green Cali they could use your number plate to help avoid detection, private plate or not, it’s just a number plate on a specific vehicle, of a specific colour.
Maybe unlikely, but it does go on unfortunately.
Yeah I get there is a theoretical cloning risk but my point is its so unlikely as to not be worth worrying about. I think! :)

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
DVLA form V888, request for owners details. You need to give a convincing reason for needing the details i.e. an accident and you get the details. This is in the public domain so I'm not giving away secrets.
Ok thanks - I wasn’t aware this was possible. I wonder how well they manage the data breach risks?

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
You get parking fines and speeding fines sent to your address and spend ages trying to convince the authorities and or debt collectors that you shouldn't pay the fines
Has this happened to any Cali owners on here or is this a theoretical risk? And surely photographic evidence wouldn't stack up?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
If it was that easy why wouldn't they just use your plate for all these high jinx when they saw it out on the road?

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
When people post pictures of their Cali, some blank out the number plate, others like me don’t.
is there any reason or value in editting out the reg. no. ?
Don’t understand why people do it, if anyone wants to clone a reg they just have to stroll past your house, around the streets and car parks.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I’m sure there are easier ways to get a Reg Number than trawling this and other car forums for pictures showing reg numbers.
eg : just pop along to your local dealership.

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Oh er, I've posted mine on here, if I get a speeding fine I'll know it wasn't me, the van's been cloned !

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Garage is no good as they don’t tend to be taxed or show up on MID as being insured.

Cloning is more of a problem for cheap cars, the value of calis tends to mean that people are a lot more careful & do sensible checks when buying.

Ideal car for cloning is something common and of a value where people don’t need to take out finance.

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
But I've seen loads posted on Autotrader showing the reg, that way people can check out the history of it. If it was an issue surely Autotrader would have a duty of care to prevent sellers showing the car reg ?

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Any vw transporter could pass as a cali to someone who doesn’t no anything about campers. So clone doesn’t need to be another cali.
I think some people block off plate just for peace of mind, I’ve never bothered.

Timø

Timø

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
When people post pictures of their Cali, some blank out the number plate, others like me don’t.
is there any reason or value in editting out the reg. no. ?
I’d suggest the most straightforward criminal activity would be to make a copy of your plate and put it on can they steal. People on this site are likely to have insurance tax etc so if I copy your plate and put it on a van I’ve just nicked, I can probably get through ANPR cameras safely.

Mr T

Mr T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I do wonder how many people have actually had hassle due to their vehicle number plate being copied and used on a similar vehicle? Or more specifically any Cali owners suffered this? Unexpected fines/ tickets etc.

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

VW California Club