Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blanking out Reg Number

I have a cunning plan, we could all superimpose each others reg. nos. On all future picture posts. That will thwart the scallywags.

If it was that easy why wouldn't they just use your plate for all these high jinx when they saw it out on the road?

When people post pictures of their Cali, some blank out the number plate, others like me don’t.
is there any reason or value in editting out the reg. no. ?
Don’t understand why people do it, if anyone wants to clone a reg they just have to stroll past your house, around the streets and car parks.

I’m sure there are easier ways to get a Reg Number than trawling this and other car forums for pictures showing reg numbers.
eg : just pop along to your local dealership.

Oh er, I've posted mine on here, if I get a speeding fine I'll know it wasn't me, the van's been cloned !

Garage is no good as they don’t tend to be taxed or show up on MID as being insured.

Cloning is more of a problem for cheap cars, the value of calis tends to mean that people are a lot more careful & do sensible checks when buying.

Ideal car for cloning is something common and of a value where people don’t need to take out finance.

But I've seen loads posted on Autotrader showing the reg, that way people can check out the history of it. If it was an issue surely Autotrader would have a duty of care to prevent sellers showing the car reg ?

Any vw transporter could pass as a cali to someone who doesn’t no anything about campers. So clone doesn’t need to be another cali.
I think some people block off plate just for peace of mind, I’ve never bothered.

When people post pictures of their Cali, some blank out the number plate, others like me don’t.
is there any reason or value in editting out the reg. no. ?
I’d suggest the most straightforward criminal activity would be to make a copy of your plate and put it on can they steal. People on this site are likely to have insurance tax etc so if I copy your plate and put it on a van I’ve just nicked, I can probably get through ANPR cameras safely.

I do wonder how many people have actually had hassle due to their vehicle number plate being copied and used on a similar vehicle? Or more specifically any Cali owners suffered this? Unexpected fines/ tickets etc.

...and sometimes it is just fun to try out all these fancy stickers at picsArt:
d94585f81212f4e923d5c6345ec50b43.jpeg

I have a cunning plan, we could all superimpose each others reg. nos. On all future picture posts. That will thwart the scallywags.
Not only do I have a distinctive coloured van, with distinctive wheels, chrome and personalised plate but I also have a tracker to record where my van has been. So it wasn’t me is my response, unless it was.

good idea to place a special sticker on the windscreen to help identify van in mug shots !

The Swiss site also gives your full name, as well as address, without asking for any id from the requestor.
Therefore, anyone reading the forum can fully identify the poster from his vehicle, and this may not be desired. Ask yourself if you are happy to have (essentially) your full name & address posted publicly, along with posts hinting that you may be travelling and away from home, the vehicle is parked on the drive when not in use, or many other reasons one could think of?

The Swiss site also gives your full name, as well as address, without asking for any id from the requestor.
Therefore, anyone reading the forum can fully identify the poster from his vehicle, and this may not be desired. Ask yourself if you are happy to have (essentially) your full name & address posted publicly, along with posts hinting that you may be travelling and away from home, the vehicle is parked on the drive when not in use, or many other reasons one could think of?
Crazy! Is that an official (legal) site?

Crazy! Is that an official (legal) site?
Yes 100% official. It is embedded into the DVLA equivalent for several cantons. For example, Zurich:

Yes 100% official. It is embedded into the DVLA equivalent for several cantons. For example, Zurich:

Wow!

There’s some wrong-uns on the internet.
Best to cover IMO.
This used to be a small friendly forum, but has ballooned over the last couple of years. Wiser to keep some stuff private, especially address, phone numbers and details to your vehicle...

Back