Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bonnet death

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
While I keep our Cali pretty sparkly, I can't do much about the bonnet which seems to secretly get shot with a machine gun every night - it's covered in chips!

Is the paint too thin, is it the shape or am I just unlucky?

I touch them up with coded paint but TBH, I do a rubbish job - I think I'll need to get it resprayed soon. Never had a vehicle so bad for stone chips!

I'm finding mine very prone to minor stone chips. Bonnet has some but also chips from stones flung up from the front wheels - ie down the sides of the van - despite factory fit mudflaps.

Vans just seem more susceptible to stone chips. Height and shape I suppose. Mine has...err...one or two.

Yep mine's the same. Water based paint seems to chip away from the base coat easily. I have a 1983 Mercedes and the white paint is more like enamel!

My T4 is the same, thinking of geting a bra :oops: respray bonnet if we sell.
Ron.

Anyone tried a paint film like Ventureshield?

I could be tempted to repsray then get it protected.

I'd rather flick vinegar in my eyes than fit a bra.

KernowLad said:

How dare you :evil:

Any volunteers for flicking vinegar?!

I would worry the bra would rub the paint.

I do look after mine (just clayed it a couple of weeks ago - it looks spectacular now) but the real pleasure is in using them and stone chips are just a fact of life.

I suppose eventually I might book it into a bodyshop to have them touched up professionally but I'm not too worried yet.

I think it's the problem with new vehicles - they're just so perfect, it hurts when they pick up small marks! :headbang

KernowLad said:

ScreenShot2014-03-11at204518_zps16becd99.png

ScreenShot2014-03-11at204552_zps4239f146.png

Custardtart said:
I would worry the bra would rub the paint.

I do look after mine (just clayed it a couple of weeks ago - it looks spectacular now) but the real pleasure is in using them and stone chips are just a fact of life.

I suppose eventually I might book it into a bodyshop to have them touched up professionally but I'm not too worried yet.

I think it's the problem with new vehicles - they're just so perfect, it hurts when they pick up small marks! :headbang

I've had a few new cars before; none have picked up chips like the van!

The bra thing is mainly paint scuff worries and the fact I just don't like them!

Friends of mine have used clear paint protection stuff with good results and swear by them and have them on every new car they have. Personally I have not done it, but have heard good reports.

cheers

I'm another anti bra person I'm afraid - don't like the look of them at all. Perhaps kev could enlighten us as to whether they scuff the paintwork?
I was wondering about getting the bonnet and bumper wrapped as both are chipped on ours. Don't know how much protection a wrap would provide though?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Before I bought mine I had heard a few horror stories about scratching and fading of the paint
I think this is only the case if you leave them on for months on end I remove mine every time I was the Cali and have had no problems with either of the above problems.just like large black alloys I like them :thumb

Back