Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boot door gas struts

I had been wondering what my expectation of the tailgate struts should be , as since I bought the Cali 3 weeks ago it doesn't even go half way before I have to lift it up to the full height without the bike rack on.
Assuming the issue with ambient temperature is significant and it's been fad from ambient I'm guessing it's worth waiting til Spring to see if it performs better ?
I'm taking it in for a minor warranty issue next week so might at least mention it.
Another useful thread thank you !

I had been wondering what my expectation of the tailgate struts should be , as since I bought the Cali 3 weeks ago it doesn't even go half way before I have to lift it up to the full height without the bike rack on.
Assuming the issue with ambient temperature is significant and it's been fad from ambient I'm guessing it's worth waiting til Spring to see if it performs better ?
I'm taking it in for a minor warranty issue next week so might at least mention it.
Another useful thread thank you !
The California does have uprated Gas Struts fitted so you could just check they have fitted the correct ones.

C9986BFB-880F-4E7E-B30A-8E9635C3C5C5.jpeg

I've noticed for the past few weeks the tailgate doesn't quite open fully under its own steam. I have to give it a little push to get it to open the last 7-8 inches.

Is this just a 'feature' in cold weather or do I need to get the struts replaced under warranty.

Not really an issue at the moment but wondering if this would be a lot worse when/if I get the bike rack fitted?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, mines the same and in hot weather I'm nearly off my feet trying to get it closed.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the VW updated 1270N struts please? (Or are they1250N?)

I ordered some ‘uprated’ ones from SGS but user error (and the fact that Cali ones aren’t listed on the website at all) mean I got some weaker ones which I’ve sent back. I spoke to SGS but they said 1250N was the maximum available for this replacement strut and any higher requires a different kind of strut.

On my T6 Beach I have 1200N as is but they barely hold the tailgate WITH an EMPTY bike rack in the warm at sea level.
c8384222f08af52e638730e43dbdbb9e.jpg

In the winter at 1500 metres above sea level the tailgate won’t even stay up WITHOUT a rack on it.

The SGS ones also had a different style of ball joint, which seems more fiddly- see below:
IMG_0058.jpg

I would also prefer the OEM style ball joint too (as shown on the SGS website but not what you actually get):
b76682a7ea499a2c5aaf47dd83454d9e.jpg

At this point, just having the tailgate not break my legs would be a luxury, let alone lifting it with a bike on it.
Thanks. Stu

Ps. With 2 small children and a Slidepod It creates an extra dimension of stress meaning we can NEVER leave an empty tailgate open when unloading etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the VW updated 1270N struts please? (Or are they1250N?)

I ordered some ‘uprated’ ones from SGS but user error (and the fact that Cali ones aren’t listed on the website at all) mean I got some weaker ones which I’ve sent back. I spoke to SGS but they said 1250N was the maximum available for this replacement strut and any higher requires a different kind of strut.

On my T6 Beach I have 1200N as is but they barely hold the tailgate WITH an EMPTY bike rack in the warm at sea level.
c8384222f08af52e638730e43dbdbb9e.jpg

In the winter at 1500 metres above sea level the tailgate won’t even stay up WITHOUT a rack on it.

The SGS ones also had a different style of ball joint, which seems more fiddly- see below:
View attachment 39957

I would also prefer the OEM style ball joint too (as shown on the SGS website but not what you actually get):
b76682a7ea499a2c5aaf47dd83454d9e.jpg

At this point, just having the tailgate not break my legs would be a luxury, let alone lifting it with a bike on it.
Thanks. Stu

Ps. With 2 small children and a Slidepod It creates an extra dimension of stress meaning we can NEVER leave an empty tailgate open when unloading etc

If you want a quick and cheap(ish) temporary fix:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/extension-support-rod/14003
Packs to 1.15 metres, extends to 2.9 metres. Rated to support 40Kg. Also comes in grape yellow:
1c041ebeed2cb6a5dc7783ab943e3541.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:

Thanks. Stu

Part Not 28
Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 14.19.22.jpg

Thank you all very much for your replies!
I think I’ll go with the struts to avoid the, Child A thinking ‘ooh look, a nice long stick to hit Child B, with!’, scenario.
Trust me, it WOULD happen.
The lock idea’s a good one and similar to the oem locking strut I had on my FJ Cruiser (I’d probably forget it was there though).

@WelshGas, thank you again- is that for the T6? Would’ve taken me weeks to find that. Typed into SGS and came up as T5 so will give them a shout.

Love this place.

Thank you all very much for your replies!
I think I’ll go with the struts to avoid the, Child A thinking ‘ooh look, a nice long stick to hit Child B, with!’, scenario.
Trust me, it WOULD happen.
The lock idea’s a good one and similar to the oem locking strut I had on my FJ Cruiser (I’d probably forget it was there though).

@WelshGas, thank you again- is that for the T6? Would’ve taken me weeks to find that. Typed into SGS and came up as T5 so will give them a shout.

Love this place.

Unchanged as far as I am aware. That part number was for a 2016 model, so T6.

Unchanged as far as I am aware. That part number was for a 2016 model, so T6.

Thanks @WelshGas , I’ve googled that part number a lot now and maybe the diagram architects didn’t update the part number as everywhere seems to think that is a T5 strut with a length of 755mm vs my part No. for the T6 with a length of 711mm. (Perhaps VW changed the mounting position hence the reduced length?)

Anyway, googling my (T6) part number 7E7827550 brings up the strut with varying eject force ratings and the 1270N always seems to be; a) expensive and b) out of stock.

The plot thickens, will let you know what happens.

Thanks @Loz - same code as mine so I’m guessing the suffix ‘A’ denotes the 1270N

S

Why would they fit 1200n ? mine are 1250 and now there´s 1270.
Do you have double glazing on the rear door or only single ?

Why would they fit 1200n ? mine are 1250 and now there´s 1270.
Do you have double glazing on the rear door or only single ?

Ah ha! I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve got the acoustic glass package which is thicker.

Ah ha! I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve got the acoustic glass package which is thicker.

Thicker and heavier, so why the lower rated struts...
I don´t understand that.

Asked SMG Tonbridge about uprated door stuts. They said all Californias have uprated rear door struts as standard. If you order a bike rack for a Transporter or Caravell the Cofigurator states that rear door struts must be uprated.

I had a pair from SGS, regassed to 1300N, sent them back. No better than the ones I wanted to replace. In warm weather they push the tailgate about 2/3 of the way up. (bike rack, no bikes).
I would like to source ones that do the job ...
(SGS were really helpful btw, their struts just didn't cut the mustard of a Cali tailgate!)

These will hold the boot open if you have a fully loaded tailgate rack; could probably make your own:

I drove to SGS to get them repressurised to a higher level. Been fine since. Mine is an 05 T5.

I drove to SGS to get them repressurised to a higher level. Been fine since. Mine is an 05 T5.
I was advised that 1300N was the max they could put in to the struts - which they did for me. Still not enough! However, a personal visit might do the trick - but not from Mid Wales!

Back