Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake Upgrade..?

B

Brettjo

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
In the not too distant future I need to replace discs and brake pads on my 2017 VW California Ocean.

Rather than just straight VW OEM replacement parts - I am considering the options of upgrading to bigger discs and callipers for a little extra stopping power.

If anyone has done this, keen to hear what you did and assistance on parts required. Thanks.

I would say its an expensive upgrade option ££££. OEM Disc size for the big brake is 340mm. Calipers are massive. VW parts are expensive (replaced mine for Brembo recently) Look at AutoDoc for Brembo.

Need caliper carriers and check " hub carrier is the same. New bolts for the carriers (stretch)

Note min 17in wheels which I think is pretty standard on the T6s

Done it to my beach. Straight forward swap, calipers and discs. Bought mine second hand on ebay, no problems after 2 years of use.
The only thing I find with the bigger brakes is they feel a bit spongy. I had an se with big brakes before and that was the same, even with fresh fluids.

There is a REVO big brake kit but you need 20" wheels.
Bognor Motors is also doing a 4 pot caliper upgrade that fits under 17" wheels with 340mm front disks.

There is a VMaxx kit that is 4 pot calipers. From memory you can get away with 17" wheels, though you'd need to check.

My tiny 16" brake system works fine for me.

I am not touching anything crucial on my van (or any other motorised vehicle), for safety reasons (even if everything is going well after many years).

I don't know how you drive, but my brake system hasn't let me down in any way yet in 12 years and 165000 km.

I am even still waiting for my first set of front brake pads to be worn down to the minimum.

More stopping power is always good and larger discs and updated callipers will make a noticeable difference. The thing to be wary of though is the choice of brake pads. Some of the ‘performance’ pads work well at higher temps but when cold they may not be there when you need them - I had a few squeaky bum moments with performance pads on my lotus, mostly on motorways after cruising, all be it at a reasonable pace, for some time.

Ive upgraded mine on my T6 Caravelle, finally decided to go with these after a lot of chats with different companies. There are a few companies doing reconditioned Brembo callipers from Porsche Macans, I didn't see the point when these are the same money as these AP Racing callipers, a really good brand that's owned by Brembo anyway. The biggest catches long term are the pads are a lot more to replace in the future, but the wear should be less, £125-£160 for a pair, don't go for anything that says race. In most cases you won't have any wear sensors in the pads, so you have to keep an eye on them. In the case of my setup its the outer disc that will be replaced and not the bell housing as they are a 2 part design. Some other big brake kits use std discs from Mercs that have been re-drilled to fit a transporter hub to save some money. The other thing to consider is your spare wheel, the disc and calliper on mine is so much bigger im going to get a 20" banded steel wheel made up as a spare wheel to guarantee clearance, I can't buy an individual wheel in the same style as the others and no companies that sell reasonably priced individual wheels would send me precise technical drawing to validate there wheel would fit over the disc/calliper.

If anybody is interested I might sell the OEM VW big brake callipers that came with my 204ps 4 Motion from new, they fit a 350mm disc from memory, I believe like all VW parts there pretty expensive to buy the callipers new, but the 350mm discs are pretty easy to get for a good price.

IMG_7605.jpg

Mine are the 378mm AP Racing 6-Pot CP9040 Caliper And 2-Piece Reyland Disc Kit with an RS6 copy 20" 950Kg load rated Wheel

IMG_7601.jpg

IMG_7602.jpg

IMG_7604.jpg

Ive got a beach with 16’ standard wheels - been on an extended trip to greece via alps and mad albanian roads - the standard brakes have over heated twice and the front disks seem warped and wobble up through the steering wheel- has anyone upgraded their 16 brakes ? Many thanks

It's the same old argument all the time. My 150 is adequate for me. My small brakes work for me. My small c0ck works for me. Bigger is better in all 3 cases. Brakes are an easy upgrade. There is zero sponging in my big brakes, hit them bad boys hard and the kettle on the hob goes out the window before you do.