Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Brakes _ Brembo?

Dont forget that the brake caliper bolts are stretch so you will need to replace.....

Just quick warning:
I don’t do my own brakes but wanted the coated Brembo discs, so I purchased discs & pads via Autodoc and got them fitted locally. This worked out fine last year, for the the rears.

Unfortunately when the fronts were changed this year, I suffered vibration during high speed braking. Although Autodoc eventually sent replacement discs and reimbursed me for the labour, the hassle was considerable. Also I was £45 down, as I changed the pads again, to be certain.

It’s a pity that Europarts didn’t have these discs available, and Autodoc didn’t have a fitting service (as Europarts do). In future, I’ll stick to supply-and-fit, so that any problems have just one point of contact.

Just quick warning:
I don’t do my own brakes but wanted the coated Brembo discs, so I purchased discs & pads via Autodoc and got them fitted locally. This worked out fine last year, for the the rears.

Unfortunately when the fronts were changed this year, I suffered vibration during high speed braking. Although Autodoc eventually sent replacement discs and reimbursed me for the labour, the hassle was considerable. Also I was £45 down, as I changed the pads again, to be certain.

It’s a pity that Europarts didn’t have these discs available, and Autodoc didn’t have a fitting service (as Europarts do). In future, I’ll stick to supply-and-fit, so that any problems have just one point of contact.
It’s extremely unusual for Brembo discs to be manufactured out of tolerance.
To get vibration they would be suffering from DTV or Disc Thickness Variation. Easy to diagnose by measuring with a Micrometer any variation of more than 6 microns and there’s your problem.

To get vibration they would be suffering from DTV or Disc Thickness Variation. Easy to diagnose by measuring with a Micrometer any variation of more than 6 microns and there’s your problem.
Could the vibration have been caused by something else, do you think? Both the local tyre/brake/mot centre and the local garage both said that a warped disc would be the issue.

I don’t carry out work on vehicles, so I’m not equipped to perform a run out test on the discs, but if anyone is interested, I now have two nearly new front discs and two pairs of pads in my shed (West Kent), going free. One or more of the items may or may not be defective!

Pleased to say that the vibration has gone away, whatever the cause.

Usually the DTV is caused by incorrect fitting, happened to me once and I was advised due to hub face not being completely clean and flat. And then over a few hundred to thousand miles driving the high points on disc face get scrubbed slightly resulting in variation in disc thickness
And I was advised to fit disc using dial gauge to check lateral runout and lift off disc and rotate disc on hub to a different position until it’s within allowable runout parameter

Back