Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Brakes _ Brembo?

pjm-84

pjm-84

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Had a oil service today and picked up some brakes parts ...... until I found out the price. (Over £400 for discs and pads)

Going to go down the Brembo option. Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route for the front replacement parts? (used Brembo rear pads due to the excessive wear rate with VWs and happy so far). Mine is the 180 with the big brake option.

Ended up just buying the stretch bolts for the caliper brackets in the end.

If I had the choice of VW replacement discs and pads or Brembo then give me Brembo every single time.

Ordered Brembo discs and pads from Autodoc. Much better price.

Brake Disc
Article №: : 09.B498.11
£52.07​
2​
£104.14​
Brake Pad Set, disc brake
Article №: : P 85 141
£74.24​
1​
£74.24​

Brembo every time. Check out Euro car parts, especially when they have their bank holiday or any such sale.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Are you going to paint your callipers red to match?

Had a oil service today and picked up some brakes parts ...... until I found out the price. (Over £400 for discs and pads)

Going to go down the Brembo option. Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route for the front replacement parts? (used Brembo rear pads due to the excessive wear rate with VWs and happy so far). Mine is the 180 with the big brake option.

Just out of interest, what mileage have you done on to need discs & pads?

Very nice @Loz

where did you get them done, did they supply the callipers or just paint them (I.e you supplied the new callipers) ?
I purchased new callipers, ground off the poor casting flashings and polished the main surfaces and then took them to Bigg Red in Worcester for the powder coating and rebuild.

As soon as the weather improves and I have a free weekend, I'll swap them over.

Last edited:
Brembo every time. Check out Euro car parts, especially when they have their bank holiday or any such sale.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just out of interest, what mileage have you done on to need discs & pads?

Front brakes are on 51k.

Dealer noted them as 80% worn on Wednesday. I noted them as taking a little longer to stop fully loaded last weekend (hilly county) and earmarked replacement sooner rather than later. (Oddly after unloading the van I couldnt tell any difference and pressed too hard.)

To replace front pads was £243 but at that mileage I would also do the discs (lipping viewable)

Front brakes are on 51k.

Dealer noted them as 80% worn on Wednesday. I noted them as taking a little longer to stop fully loaded last weekend (hilly county) and earmarked replacement sooner rather than later. (Oddly after unloading the van I couldnt tell any difference and pressed too hard.)

To replace front pads was £243 but at that mileage I would also do the discs (lipping viewable)
My 140ps T6 has done 50k miles and the pads are at about 50% so should be good for a while,

Brembo pads for the 140ps T6 are are about £60 from Euro Car Parts or for a 180ps T5 which I used to own they are about the same.

Than goodness I do my own maintenance for jobs like this.

And here’s me thinking they all come from the same factory………:rolleyes:

And here’s me thinking they all come from the same factory………:rolleyes:
You would never know what factory or country they come from. Many brake pads and discs now are made in China and have been made there for many many years. There is absolutely NO difference whatsoever with the quality as they are made to the purchasers instructions and requirements . Brembo could possibly be the exception and are made in Europe, both for Pads and Discs. Our company had more problems with people complaining about EBC products than any other and the quality control was appalling. Don’t think that because it is made in China it’s no good, that may have been the case 15-20 years ago but certainly not today. We have had products made specifically for us in China because we can’t get the same quality for the price in the UK. In fact in many cases UK factories just can’t manufacture to the same standards as China. The factories that can are just too expensive that you could never sell at a profit.

Fitted Brembo front and rear on my 174bhp T5. Bought from Autodoc. Fantastic brakes and price/service but buy the 'coated' discs. That'll stop the rust creep from the edges. They've been on for 7500 miles and still look brand new.

Reactions: Loz
They had two disc options for Brembo. I went back to the Brembo site and cross checked their recommended part for my vehicle and ordered the slightly more expensive option. I couldnt exactly spot a specification difference so couldnt say

They had two disc options for Brembo. I went back to the Brembo site and cross checked their recommended part for my vehicle and ordered the slightly more expensive option. I couldnt exactly spot a specification difference so couldnt say

Last edited:
Turned up today. Heavy discs at 13kg a piece. Pads are massive

IMG_20211007_195921.jpg

Anyone doing this with the big brake option (340mm discs) ....you need a 9mm allen key. I didnt have one, anywhere, but an M50 spline fits well.

Caliper 9mm allen key bolts....60nm
Brake caliper frame - 180nm + 45 degrees

Nearly on the mark!

IMG_20211107_155338.jpg

Back