Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brambles are a pain!

DG1

DG1

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have started to dread brambles and the way they seem to grow straight out of hedges into the road at this time of year on country roads. The narrower the road, the more there seems to be, especially when you meet a tractor or big four by four!

We haven't been able to avoid a couple of scratches on a recent trip to Anglesey because there was no space to avoid them, but fortunately just superficial and I hope they will polish out. It will need some coloured car polish to disguise them.

That is one of the reasons I preferred our white T5 over our BlackBerry.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one that hated brambles. Not so much the Cali, but walking or cycling on country roads or paths bound by hedges. Always seem to be at head height. Hate them.

I have started to dread brambles and the way they seem to grow straight out of hedges into the road at this time of year on country roads. The narrower the road, the more there seems to be, especially when you meet a tractor or big four by four!

We haven't been able to avoid a couple of scratches on a recent trip to Anglesey because there was no space to avoid them, but fortunately just superficial and I hope they will polish out. It will need some coloured car polish to disguise them.
I know a very good VW friendly body shop in Long Eaton if you need it.

• Thanks
Reactions: DG1
I know a very good VW friendly body shop in Long Eaton if you need it.
Many thanks. I think they are just superficial and will cover with polish. What we need is for a device that will come out of the side and push the brambles out of the way!

Living out in the sticks, this is something that I have had to deal with a lot over the years. Fortunately, most of the time a good wash and polish will sort any marks out. I think what often happens is that the plant leaves a sticky deposit, possibly sap, on the paint as you brush past it. Then dust from driving sticks to the sticky mark making it look ten times worse than it actually is.

Also if a vehicle hasn't been polished for a long time the paint surface is already rough before contact with the plant. When contact is made there is much more friction and the lacquer surface can mark more severely.

If the marks are still there after hand claying and polishing then providing the lacquer hasn"t gone through, have a reputable body shop machine polish the marks out.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DG1
Actually, I've just had a similar issue with our rather battered Greek hire car. Whilst avoiding an oncoming bus, a piece of bamboo sticking out of a hedge, left a mark right down one side. It was made worse because being a fairly elderly rental, the lacquer finish was pretty well cooked to a crisp.

Before they collected it this morning I went over it with some olive oil on a wad of bog roll and hey presto, it vanished......for the time being at least. Actually it had so many other bashes and scrapes on it I doubt if they'd even notice let alone care.

I don't recommend this treatment on your Cali BTW.

Last edited:
That is one of the reasons I preferred our white T5 over our BlackBerry.
White is very forgiving to stuff like this silver is also a pretty good colour to disguise lite issues and will always normal disappear when polished

Another perspective (which I happen to favour) is just to ignore minor scrapes and scratches. It's a campervan, and once we''ve been on the road for a day or so the grime, bugs etc ends up hiding everything else on ours anyway. Handsome is as handsome does.

Just sayin... :cheers

Back