Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Isotop IV fitting nightmare

Crell

Crell

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I bought my Isotop from the club shop ages ago but never fitted it due to the absolutely dire instructions that came with it that just left me scratching my head. I watched the video that Matt did on Youtube & it all looked pretty straight forward.

I've come to install the liner having done the tape a while ago. Starting with the front-centre velcro tab for the roof.

The supplied self tappers are useless - they don't bite and are making a fairly large hole. I've tried a low torque electric screwdriver as well but still no joy. I currently have 2 part drilled holes in my roof and I'm a bit pi55ed off with it to be frank. I'm going to try a pilot hole next but any other words of wisdom?

I bought my Isotop from the club shop ages ago but never fitted it due to the absolutely dire instructions that came with it that just left me scratching my head. I watched the video that Matt did on Youtube & it all looked pretty straight forward.

I've come to install the liner having done the tape a while ago. Starting with the front-centre velcro tab for the roof.

The supplied self tappers are useless - they don't bite and are making a fairly large hole. I've tried a low torque electric screwdriver as well but still no joy. I currently have 2 part drilled holes in my roof and I'm a bit pi55ed off with it to be frank. I'm going to try a pilot hole next but any other words of wisdom?
I didnt need to drill any holes at all to fit mine. They should just push in.

For the screws to take you need to really push them in hard while drilling them.
I put mine in a slightly wrong position due to the poor manual but it works fine.

Having taken a deep breath, I used a small bit (2mm) to create a pilot hole, and setting a max depth on the bit to be super-careful. The install then went painlessly. With the pilot hole I could easily use a screwdriver to screw in the self tappers.

With the centre attached I fitter the front right Velcro tab to the liner as a guide to help the positioning. Marked the 2 screw holes and then drilled the pilot holes. Then did the same on the left.

The reason I posted this in the beach section originally was that the beach install is slightly different to the ocean ( which doesn’t need the self tappers).

I agree that the instructions aren't good. However there is nothing dificult about fitting an Isotop. There should be no need to drill any pilot holes. You risk damaging the outer roof buy doing so. I have fitted three Isotops in the past, 1 x T5 SE and 2 on T6 Beaches. The black screws supplied with the Beach kit are self cutting. If you examine them you will see that they feature tiny cutting blades on their tips.There are several tips I would give:

1. Follow the instructions to the letter regarding the correct placing of the velcro tabs. Measure twice screw once. Make sure you are screwing them to the narrow transversal bevelled part of the ceiling (see picture in the instructions).Once you are certain you have the correct position, mark the ceiling around the tab with a soft pencil. Then poke the pencil through the screw holes in the tab to mark the ceiling.

2. Make sure you use a screwdriver that properly fits the black screws provided. Then with the tabs out of the way and using your screwdriver position the tip of the screw on your mark and apply reasonable pressure as you screw. The screws will take a little perseuding but will soon start cutting a hole. Once the holes have been cut remove screws clean the pencil marks from the ceiling and screw the tabs into place.

Correct positioning as per the instructions is key. The screws aren't an issue. Here is a post I did earlier on fitting the Isotop in a Beach. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/iso-top-mk3.11532/page-2#post-194367 See post #23

Just take your time and double check everything before screwing.

The need to drill a pilot with a self tapper arises when the self tapper is unable to fulfil its design intent. Funnily enough, I know how a (thread cutting) self tapper works, and I beleive the Beta torx set I used to be “good enough” quality for this job. Matt‘s video is excellent and perfectly clear. The Isotop iV is now installed & looks great (I measured perfectly).

Using a drill to create a pilot needs to be done carefully considering the materials and workable depth ( & clearly less than the self tapper length ). I was also clear that if you do this then that depth limiting the bit is necessary. There’s nothing dangerous in using a pilot per-se. It’s when people don’t think those things through accidents happen. So maybe for people who might have an idea of what they’re doing but find that the thread cutting self tappers they’ve been provided with won’t bite beyond a certain depth (despite you having personally installed 3 isotops effortlessly) then you might concede there are alternative treatments - I.e. drill a pilot; which is exactly what you would do with a thread forming self tapper?
Brandrup clearly don’t want people to attack their roof liner with a drill for good reason, but if you can’t get the screw to bite you have no choice; and if you know what you’re doing, a pilot hole makes things much quicker.

The need to drill a pilot with a self tapper arises when the self tapper is unable to fulfil its design intent. Funnily enough, I know how a (thread cutting) self tapper works, and I beleive the Beta torx set I used to be “good enough” quality for this job. Matt‘s video is excellent and perfectly clear. The Isotop iV is now installed & looks great (I measured perfectly).

Using a drill to create a pilot needs to be done carefully considering the materials and workable depth ( & clearly less than the self tapper length ). I was also clear that if you do this then that depth limiting the bit is necessary. There’s nothing dangerous in using a pilot per-se. It’s when people don’t think those things through accidents happen. So maybe for people who might have an idea of what they’re doing but find that the thread cutting self tappers they’ve been provided with won’t bite beyond a certain depth (despite you having personally installed 3 isotops effortlessly) then you might concede there are alternative treatments - I.e. drill a pilot; which is exactly what you would do with a thread forming self tapper?
Brandrup clearly don’t want people to attack their roof liner with a drill for good reason, but if you can’t get the screw to bite you have no choice; and if you know what you’re doing, a pilot hole makes things much quicker.
Look this is how it works. Member A asks the forum for "any other words of wisdom". Members B, C and D etc use their time to respond with friendly advice. If you knew how to do the job then why ask in the first place? I see no reason what so ever for your sarcasm. Over and out.

Last edited:
Back