Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving the EU, no deal and driving permits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello,

So the UK is leaving the EU, i know, ive just heard, its in the papers (sarcasm face :Grin) and will now possibly need EU driving permits to drive in the EU if these 'professional' politicians cant reach a deal and will apprantely increase from 100k to 7million permits needed.

If we do needs permits (heard around £6) , surely there's a better and much quicker system in todays modern world of issuing them rather than going to a post office!!???

Maybe a number plate camera of somesorts, cannot be that hard? Sure all you Cali gurus have different experiences on how you apply for driving permits from around the EU and none eu members!

And please note, appreciate remain or leave is a very heated subject so this is just about obtaining EU permits and what systems shoud be in place if no deal does happen :thumb Remain and leave together on this one maybe :cool:?
Remain :cheersLeave (wishful thinking)

Maybe VWCC can be the club to come up with a proper solution!!!! :bananadance2

How hard/ costs were green cards to get? Reason i started this thread was because of this statement from BBC news;

Screenshot_20180721-100224_BBC News.jpg

green card applied to insurance company, usually by return post, am talking pre internet days.
Now i would imagine same day by email?

green card applied to insurance company, usually by return post, am talking pre internet days.
Now i would imagine same day by email?

Sounds good as really dont like the thought of queuing up in a post office behind someone with 60 ebay parcels to send :eek: :headbang:headbang:rage

OK, don't believe them either, scaremongering
Fair enough, but there will obviously have to be something in place with a no deal, cant imagine the EU just letting us drive right on by?

I have not had a problem driving in non EU countries.

I’m not sure ‘problem’ is the correct word. It’s just additional bureaucracy. In some countries I drive in I need to take an international driving licence, carry copies of proof of ownership/or permission from the leasor.

Post Brexit, especially a no deal Brexit, I suspect this will be just a fraction of new friction we brits will face when travelling to Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure ‘problem’ is the correct word. It’s just additional bureaucracy. In some countries I drive in I need to take an international driving licence, carry copies of proof of ownership/or permission from the leasor.

Post Brexit, especially a no deal Brexit, I suspect this will be just a fraction of new friction we brits will face when travelling to Europe.

And yet our American, Canadian, Australian and NZ cousins, whilst not enjoying membership of the EU, can happily drive in Europe on their own licences, all can stay for up to 90 days without any Visa formalities as well.
The scare mongers are getting desperate.

Personally I'm going to wait until the ink is dry on the post-Brexit agreement before worrying or even thinking about post Brexit.

And yet our American, Canadian, Australian and NZ cousins, whilst not enjoying membership of the EU, can happily drive in Europe on their own licences, all can stay for up to 90 days without any Visa formalities as well.
The scare mongers are getting desperate.

Depends on the country, depends what agreements exist between the countries and depends whether you are bringing your own vehicle. Few Americans, Canadians or Australians seem to bring their vehicle.

You have got to get into Europe before you worry about if they let you drive.

You have got to get into Europe before you worry about if they let you drive.
Lol, thats true. Theres defo some scare mongering but also wise to be slightly prepared and if we do leave the eu, cant imgaine eu making Britisb lifes any easier "if you take your ball away, dont care if we were best friends, you cant play with us anymore and were not friends EVER" politics with 5 year old mentalities deciding our future!o_O

The reverse would probably also apply. You can do it on-line via AA at present or takes 10 mins tops at a post office. Officially you need one for the USA and Australia.
Don’t forget UK citizens bring a lot of income to the EU tourist trade. Are they going to forgo this by being bloody minded?

Last edited:
It’s my euro plates i’ll be sad to see go, probably be forced to have some cringe-worthy GB sticker instead

believe It or not.....there was life before the eu. and I'm sure I still needed my passport to get there a few days ago. can't see what difference it will make. oh you will need to show your passport? yes. just like now then. I voted out. sod em

It’s very simple. You have a right to go, live, work, take a pension in Europe. From next year it will be at their discretion. Freedom of movement curtailed.

It’s very simple. You have a right to go, live, work, take a pension in Europe. From next year it will be at their discretion. Freedom of movement curtailed.

remoaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back