Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken collie (Happy)

G

Georgeo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have a rescue dog a whippet. Bertie_thewhippet on Instagram. He has reservations about the Cali. How and what techniques did you use to get your dog introduced to the van. I am not wanting to force the issue but dearly want him to love the van.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I have a rescue dog a whippet. Bertie_thewhippet on Instagram. He has reservations about the Cali. How and what techniques did you use to get your dog introduced to the van. I am not wanting to force the issue but dearly want him to love the van.
I was very lucky with Zebedee I’ve had him from a pup and from day 1 and pretty much everyday after he’s been in a vehicle (now 10).
I would try putting his bed in the van (or something he loves toy or treat or even his water bowl and just let him explore van and not drive anywhere. If it’s possible to let him enter when he wants a drink or nap (if you can park cali behind gates at home).
Once he gets use to getting in and out of van, try short trips to somewhere he likes local parks and try and do it as much as possible.
Always a lot harder with a rescue as you never know what the poor woof been through.
I’m sure there’s others on here who have had the same problem and can advice.
Hope it works out. :thumb

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
@4x4 has just said exactly the advice we were about to give. We would just add be patient let Bertie take all the time he needs it will be worth it in the long term. Try to rush it and you could end up making him more anxious of the van. Good luck, let’s know how he progresses.

AlisonF

AlisonF

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Meal times in the van is another option in addition to those above. No pressure on him. Let him jump in / out of his own accord. And don’t rush moving on to next stage.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
4d67f2d179a0132a4ae59c252f5e3f9f.jpg

On the train home having walked from Purfleet to Gravesend via the Tilbury-Gravesend Ferry.