Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Building a platform to search for (free) camping spots - Would you use it?

Building a platform to search for (free) camping spots - Would you use it?

• Yes - I need this

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Maybe - there are good things out there already

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No - I'm good

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
wltnsmmlr

wltnsmmlr

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello people,

I'm a fellow camper van owner and also do software development. Since I've been doing trips around Europe I've recognized a lack of (free) online resources that help me find beautiful spots to park and sleep in areas I don't know well.
There are of course great sites like furgovw.org or camperstar. In general I've observed a couple of issues with most of the existing sites:
- Language support: furgovw.org only offers its information in spanish
- Restricted to certain area: Some sites offer great coverage in some parts (of Europe for example) but are really not used at all anywhere else
- No community functionality: Rating of camping spots are rarely included.
- Outdated: Some platforms out there haven't been used or updated in years

So I have been thinking about building a platform that addresses the following points:
- Mobile friendly: Built out both a website and an app
- Easy offline usage: option to download directions
- Multilanguage support
- Rating system
- *Work together* with existing sites to gather a more comprehensive camp spot coverage

Since I'm still in the planning phase I would be glad about any feedback.
- Would you use such a platform or are there plenty already? If so, which do you use?
- What would be the most important features of such a platform?
- What are your concerns with platforms like these?

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Happy to get your guys opinions. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers

Niko
@wltnsmmlr on twitter

I have used some of the other platforms and most of them feel like websites from the 1990s, this has put me off in most cases. They also often charge for the information but don't actually check they are there or still live, some mechanism for this is a must really. Nothing worse than paying to access data thats obsolete.

It is a catch 22 here in the UK, if a spot gets too well publicised it often gets over run and then gets closed shortly after. That means many keep them secret to keep them useable.

I'd use it. Searchforsites seems to be the strongest site (at least based on its momentum) at the moment in the UK.

Thanks for the feedback - I totally get the secrecy factor. I was thinking about including groups so shared spots can be only shared to a small group of people. But then it is a question of who do you include and who don't you include :)

+1 om Matts views--- The problem I find is todays good spot gets shared and shared. Example a spot down near us at Hamble.full of 2 or 3 large vans for weeks on end. All the locals upset as no space left or anyone so the council puts in height barrier ban over night staying then and another spot you can't use

I agree with Matt and Andy. Even if you could keep it updated it would encourage informal camping in the same spots - which would just annoy the locals. Inevitably, some people would assume that since a site is included in an app/website then it's use is acceptable (by definition, informal camping is ... informal). Far better to 'teach' people the etiquette of responsible, informal camping and let them find appropriate spots themselves.

Hi, great idea.
What is important:
- mobile app iOS phone iPad in the future
- free app with basic functionality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I continue...
- offline data if it's possible
- rating and comments
- pictures
- info about restrictions, road conditions, high, width, only 4WD...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've just done the NC500 in Scotland and, although we stayed in official campsites, there were loads of offroad laybys with no signs prohibiting overnight stops!

We always use the Campercontact.com website! Thousands of free/ cheap campersites in Europe ( yes, that does include you over there in the UK!).

+1 om Matts views--- The problem I find is todays good spot gets shared and shared. Example a spot down near us at Hamble.full of 2 or 3 large vans for weeks on end. All the locals upset as no space left or anyone so the council puts in height barrier ban over night staying then and another spot you can't use
They did the same on the coast near worthing. Great spot at the beginning, but overrun with large rigs for weeks on end, so the police/local authority put up a prosecution/prohibition notice. There should be an unwritten 'code of practice' whereby if you agree to use the website to find a spot, you agree to only parking if there are no more than say one or two vans there. That way, no overcrowding and so no one gets sanctioned or limitations get placed on the site. It would be interesting to see if this worked or not. I think most people on this forum would be respectful of such a rule...

Back