Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What would you like to see reviewed?

What kind of cooking related videos would you like to see

• Total voters
@MattBW Are you looking for recipes as well?
Yes if people have some suggested recipes then we would love to see them and try them out.

Upcoming ones that are being either video edited or planned to film.
Thai green curry
Chicken Pho with rice noodles (gluten free)
Sweet potato peanut curry and flat breads (vegan)
Fennel Chicken flats
Our take on Paella (from scratch)

We are waiting on approval for a video for a fantastic Fish stew (guest cook from Slidepods cooking the recipe from Martin Dorey's Campervan Cookbook).

We are trying new recipes all the time to try and find ones we can adapt to a 2 ring gas stove. We are looking for UK recipes to cover ideally.

We also use a cadac but have never tried a Cobb, anyone who knows about cooking on them may fancy a guest spot or a little on camera chat to discuss it?

Hello Matt,
IMO at least, cooking when camping is always fun. We have a Cobb which Mrs B doesn't like at all. I on the other hand think it is a brilliant device although to date we have had some meals which haven't gone quite as well as expected. We have also had some great sucesses. Can we have some Cobb cooking ideas please.

I've also just purchased a 3 litre Mr Ds thermal cooker which is a brilliant addition to our campervan equipment. A review of this device or similar would I am sure be of great interest to many. I'd be glad to do one myself if you would like.

Also, the Ridge Monkey seems very popular. Perhaps a section on what people are cooking in them would also be interesting.
The Cobb is very fascinating to me and we have some great rubs and marinades that might be brilliant for cooking meat on a bbq or cobb, would those kind of things be useful? I was also thinking I made a mean Lamb Tagine and with the right pot this may work well in a cobb. What do you think? I've never used one but I think Ive seen yours. Tagine is quite a long cook time not suited to a stove, could that work in a cobb?

Sounds brilliant, I would be very interested in your review of the Thermal cooker. I will be getting a ridgemonkey it seems I am behind the curve :D Haha

The Cobb is very fascinating to me and we have some great rubs and marinades that might be brilliant for cooking meat on a bbq or cobb, would those kind of things be useful? I was also thinking I made a mean Lamb Tagine and with the right pot this may work well in a cobb. What do you think? I've never used one but I think Ive seen yours. Tagine is quite a long cook time not suited to a stove, could that work in a cobb?

Sounds brilliant, I would be very interested in your review of the Thermal cooker. I will be getting a ridgemonkey it seems I am behind the curve :D Haha
I would want recipes that require the minimum of preparation with limited supplies of herbs etc, we normally go for a cooked/barbecued chicken and then add canned veggies/salad and/or eat out.
I do like taking the portable gas hob outside to cook on so perhaps recipes that use a single pan would be useful, looking forward to your inspiring offerings.

Yes that's a really good point we have discovered for example that you can use the packs of microwave instant rice for recipes that require rice but are cooked in a pan such as kedgeree or jumbalaya. Literally stir fry it in the pan and its good to go.

I'm almost wondering if I need a forum of some kind on the site to get all these little gems shared. I have some for sure and I'm always looking for more but we all have those little life hacks in our back pocket.

Hello Matt,
I purchased a charcoal Cobb cooker some time ago and I have always enjoyed cooking with it. The issue with the Cobb is that once the food has been placed inside the Cobb you need to leave it well alone and not look at it much. Drink plenty of wine and let it get on with it. Every time you remove the lid you loose the heat and therefore slow down the cooking time so don't be tempted to keep looking. However, depending on what you are cooking you may need to turn it once or twice.

The other issue is guessing how long you need to cook it for and how much fuel you need to use to get you to the end of the process. The cook book that comes with the Cobb gives you all the information you need.

As an example, one of my best results so far was a roasted Gammon. For this I loaded the basket with nine charcoal briquettes (that's full). Then having ignited them you have to wait until they've all turned light grey before attempting to cook anything. (I recommend using barbecue fire lighters not gel to light the briquettes). Then I placed the gammon joint inside and left it to cook for a couple of hours. Always allow more time than you would with a conventional cooker. When you think it should be done, give it an extra 30 minutes or so. (These things are really slow cookers and are ideal for relaxed lazy camping days). You will have to turn a joint a couple of times and in this case, at about 30 minutes before it was fully cooked I placed the joint on a sheet of cooking foil and covered it with thick cut Seville marmalade and then sealed the foil around the joint. I then returned it to the Cobb for the remaining half hour or so. I always use a thermometer to check the temperature of the meal before serving. This gammon joint was a simple thing to cook and the results were excellent. We have cooked many more complicated meals and on the whole they too have also been excellent.

The amount of fuel required and the cook time will obviously vary depending on what you are cooking so there is a learning curve for all Cobb owners to tackle.
Where our meals haven't been perfect it has either been because we hadn't left it to cook for long enough or we hadn't used sufficient fuel.
Overall, this is an excellent cooking device but you need to experiment and keep trying if it doesn't work out perfectly.

image.jpeg
Cobb cooked bread and butter pudding. Yum yum!

I like your Tagine idea. It should be possible in a Cobb.

The Mr Ds 3litre thermal cooker is also a wonderful fuel efficient device that is ideally suited for Cali life. We were recently introduced to it by Briwy who has had one for a while. It is really the modern equivalent of the hay box principle. To test it out, I recently made up a lamb stew whilst Mrs B was at work. Not being any kind of whizz in the kitchen, I followed a recipe in the cook book that came with it. It only took 15 minutes to prepare and after that you just leave it to cook for several hours in its own sealed thermal container.

image.jpeg

Basically, I chucked 1kg of raw diced prime lamb, chopped veg (various), a chopped red pepper and a tin of chopped tomatoes with juice, sprig of rosemary, a lamb stock cube, into the cooking pot and just covered with water. Then I put the lid on and brought it to the boil. After being at the boil for 5 minutes I turned off the gas and placed the lidded cooking pot into the outer thermal container and sealed the lid. Job done.

Four hours later we had a lovely tender lamb stew with crusty bread to soak up the delicious juices. The amount (3 litre capacity + 80% full which is where is works at its most efficient) would easily serve six adults.

The workmanship appears to be excellent and this versions size is very compact. We intend to use it for mainly when we go away in the Cali. After a quick 15 minutes cooking you just stick it in the van and when you arrive at your destination hours later, your delicious hot meal is ready for you. We also purchased the insulated "Meal in a Bag". This is an insulated carrying bag that is designed to accommodate plates, eating irons, knapkins and the thermal cooker vessel. So idea for days out, picnics etc.

There are numerous other makes available that work in exactly the same way but I have no experience of them. There are also numerous videos on the use of the Cobb and Thermal Cookers including Mr Ds Cookware on YouTube.

We have also just purchased a Ridge Monkey for use in the Cali. We haven't use it yet.

Last edited:
I would want recipes that require the minimum of preparation with limited supplies of herbs etc, we normally go for a cooked/barbecued chicken and then add canned veggies/salad and/or eat out.
I do like taking the portable gas hob outside to cook on so perhaps recipes that use a single pan would be useful, looking forward to your inspiring offerings.

We are exactly the opposite, and always trying to push the boundaries of what can be done. There are fast days and slow days though. For us fast = something on the grill and fresh salad. Slow days may even include sourdough bread. Will try out the Coleman folding oven this year and report back.

Hello Matt,
IMO at least, cooking when camping is always fun. We have a Cobb which Mrs B doesn't like at all. I on the other hand think it is a brilliant device although to date we have had some meals which haven't gone quite as well as expected. We have also had some great sucesses. Can we have some Cobb cooking ideas please.

I've also just purchased a 3 litre Mr Ds thermal cooker which is a brilliant addition to our campervan equipment. A review of this device or similar would I am sure be of great interest to many. I'd be glad to do one myself if you would like.

Also, the Ridge Monkey seems very popular. Perhaps a section on what people are cooking in them would also be interesting.

It looks like you can do loads of stuff with the RidgeMonkey but I am yet GJ on purchase one so a review would be very welcome

I use a cast iron based tagine at home in my Cobb and it works great. For camping though the ceramic top part would be a real pain (the shape isn’t easy to pack or protect from damage and it would take up a lot of valuable space). I’d rather use a dutch oven or potjie in the Cobb if out in a Cali, but then the trade off is the weight of the cast iron. The Cobb frying dish https://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/Products/Details/cobb-frying-dish is good for wet cooking, packs easily and is light weight.

It looks like you can do loads of stuff with the RidgeMonkey but I am yet GJ on purchase one so a review would be very welcome
Matt BW did a great video of Au-bergine using the new large Ridgemonkey to cook a whole meal. It’s on Matt’s blog and I think somewhere on here too.

There are also smaller ridgemonkeys that are more like the American style pie irons. I have 2 of the old XLs and use them at home and when camping. I’m intending on experimenting with how I can use them with my Cobb, when I have some time.

I absolutely love my Cobb and use it in lots of different ways. I’m so excited that our Cali is ready to be shipped and could be in the UK soon. It will mean lots of wonderful Cobb cooking on the road again, out and about. Although the garden has been okay as a temporary solution to my outdoor cooking conundrum (since Vic Van died ☹️) there’s nothing like a change of scenery to lift the spirits.

Santa bought me a set of stainless steel Tefal Ingenio pans (3 saucepans and 2 frypans with detachable handle) and a Mr D’s thermal cooker. I can’t wait to try them in conjunction with my Cobb. I also bought myself the new Cobb stainless steel grill plate and extra extension ring to make a rotiserrie. So with all my existing Cobb stuff, the Kellie kettle, Dutch oven, cast iron based tagine, Modoc pan and trangia spirit burner that I already use with the Cobb, I’m ready for pretty much all cooking scenarios. I saw a post on another group where someone used their Cobb kettle adapter/stand to place a pie iron (similar to a ridge monkey) over the coals, so want to try that too.

Only thing I need to get is a tall rack, for double Cobb cooking. Looked in the Ikea free bits to see if they had any long screws and nuts to adapt the old Cobb rack I have from years ago before they made the roast rack with sides, but they didn’t. I think I’ll have to buy a tall microwave rack from eBay.

But then of course in the spring the new Cobb Premierre Air is being launched in the UK and it’ll be a case of “here we go again”. Luckily though all the old style racks/pans will fit. Phew, thank goodness!

Happy ”Two Thousand and Cobbteen“ everyone.

I must admit I have found many bad restaurants in London too, you perhaps had bad luck but it is easy to find bad food in the capital sadly.

My wife and I love eating out.
London has some place dreadful places to eat. We find the best food is outside the capital.

Be really interested in seeing quick and simple stuff Matt.
We prefer easy foods for the van. If we want more, that’s when we hit local restaurants. Which for us is one of the reasons of travelling.

Another fan of the Ridgemonkey here, although I find it best for toasties. Perhaps need to be a bit more adventurous with it.
Cobb is a bit hit and miss. We did have one for a while and had some great food on it. But a chicken dinner can take 2hrs to cook on a Cobb. Don’t get me wrong, it was brilliant. But it’s not what I go away to do.

Then there’s the cleaning of the Cobb to.
Real headache when travelling.

I agree, cleaning the Cobb is a real nightmare when travelling, we ended up selling ours as it took the fun away from cooking on it.

The
Then there’s the cleaning of the Cobb to.
Real headache when travelling.
The new Cobb Premierre Air will have a removable bottom to make cleaning much easier. I have a SAfire as well (very similar to a Cobb) and the removable part at the bottom makes it much “friendlier” when cleaning.

Some people use the Cobb foil liners. They’re expensive initially but quite sturdy - a lot of people wash them and get 10-20 uses out of one. Lining the Cobb yourself with kitchen foil is doable, but a pain because of the shape.

Some people don’t clean them at all until they go home and then sandblast or use oven cleaner. Can’t say I’d fancy hauling round or using a filthy/greasy/burnt on Cobb!

The

The new Cobb Premierre Air will have a removable bottom to make cleaning much easier. I have a SAfire as well (very similar to a Cobb) and the removable part at the bottom makes it much “friendlier” when cleaning.

Some people use the Cobb foil liners. They’re expensive initially but quite sturdy - a lot of people wash them and get 10-20 uses out of one. Lining the Cobb yourself with kitchen foil is doable, but a pain because of the shape.

Some people don’t clean them at all until they go home and then sandblast or use oven cleaner. Can’t say I’d fancy hauling round or using a filthy/greasy/burnt on Cobb!
Nearly forgot: Cobb have bought out a shiny stainless steel grill plate that’s a doddle to clean (it’s an extra so doesn’t replace the awful non stick one that no one likes because it’s hard to clean without removing half the coating).

The

I have an Ortlieb 20 litre, square, foldable “bucket”. Dimensions 30x30cm and 28cm high. You can leave the Cobb soaking in it overnight in soapy water. It folds down to next to nothing and fits the Cobb Premierre and Compact brilliantly.

It has loads of other uses as well so fits the multifunction criteria that’s so important when space is premium: washing bowl, water carrier, food prep bowl, storage box, carrying bag and big enough to soak your tired feet. You can turn it inside out, so 1 side for “clean” and the other for “dirty” purposes.

55B3F54A-563B-4CCA-AD99-F54972964A56.jpeg

Last edited:
MattBW. I think written recipes as well as vids.

When out on the road it’s sometimes difficult to get internet and often if you do, not enough for streaming. Written recipes can be screen captured for reading whilst out and about.

So you could bone up before you go using the vid and have the written version to refer to when shopping & cooking.

I know that its a bit of a cheat to make a curry this way but i
couldn't resist buying a few when i saw them.
I'm doing it with chicken but the instructions say to transfer to
a casserole dish with lid and bang it in the oven for 90mins.

I'm gonna cook it on the lowest gas setting for about 30mins.

The instructions also say ´Do not reheat´, why would that be? i understand the
bit about reheating meat but if you did a veggie one why can't you reheat it?
its only spices and a couple of sauces. 46444

The instructions also say ´Do not reheat´, why would that be? i understand the
bit about reheating meat but if you did a veggie one why can't you reheat it?
its only spices and a couple of sauces.
If it has rice then needs eating once cooked as leaving cooked rice for long / re-heating can be very dodgy...

These meal kits are really good though, the Blue Dragon Thai ones are on offer in Asda now...

If it has rice then needs eating once cooked as leaving cooked rice for long / re-heating can be very dodgy...

These meal kits are really good though, the Blue Dragon Thai ones are on offer in Asda now...
No rice involved, thats why I'm a bit puzzled as to why they
say it shouldn't be reheated if it is a veggie curry.

Pity, as most curries taste even better re-heated...
Might just be them covering themselves incase you re-heat to 30C then pass out...

For anyone with RidgeMonkey's FYI, they have a YouTube channel with lots of fairly good content -

You could also do most of them in a normal pan...

Back