Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bumped by neighbour

D

Damen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. Tale of woe I'm afraid.
Last night my neighbors, family from Eastern Europe with a battered old car, hit the back of my Cali reversing away. The husband drives like a bull in a China shop. I saw my Cali move.

I flew out. He was full of apologies, whilst his wife was trying to say they didn't touch it. Got his insurance details.
The damage appears minimal. Small, light scuff to my bumper. I've had a look and feel underneath and everything seems straight around tow bar plate. The Cali is two months old.

My conundrum is around what to do. My wife feels we mustn't let them get away with it. I am cautious there may be hidden damage.

However I don't want to hike my already expensive insurance premiums when it might just be a case of giving the bumper a buff.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

‘Eastern Europe with a battered old car’

What has that got to do with it ?
I should have been more descriptive. The car the family use has a number of dents, which coupled with the way I've seen it driven, suggests they don't take much care. Their country of origin has no bearing. I take your point and I don't mean to cause offence.

Probably not worth involving the insurance company. Check that parking sensors are working and the gaps between the bumper and other panels are all the same.

Sadly it's going to happen.Sorry to hear that. I self-inflicted a dent in Alfie's tailgate when only a couple of weeks old and wanted too cry.

Very unlikely there is any serious damage if all that is visible is a scuffed bumper. For peace of mind you could trundle down to your local VW dealer and ask them to carry out an inspection.They should be willing to do that on a goodwill basis.

I became airborne in Scotland once after hitting the remains of a rockfall and landed heavily enough to destroy two tyres. A VW dealer inspected for me FOC. Thankfully no damage, I've found the Cali to be as tough as old boots.

I should have been more descriptive. The car the family use has a number of dents, which coupled with the way I've seen it driven, suggests they don't take much care. Their country of origin has no bearing. I take your point and I don't mean to cause offence.
I never mean to be rude but I struggle with being PC sometimes and admire your acceptance of the point @BerndRos made.
Agreed it's possible that any neighbour, visitor, delivery man (sorry person ;)) could have bumped into your Cali. But with the emotion of the situation and excepting there are cultural differences, they do have a battered car, you have witnessed unfavourable driving so I see nothing wrong in what you said.
I wish people would stop banging the PC drum and allow freedom of speech. At the same time I would flame unnecessary rudeness. Please continue to say what you see.

Now sorry for my little rant.
In reverse gear with a light scuff on the bumper as a result I'd say you have pretty good odds that all is OK.
If the chap, who seems more reasonable than his wife (if i'm allowed to say that) continues in this fashion why don't you tell him that you are considering the matter and have someone else you trust take a look to help evaluate the likely hood of further damage?
Sometimes this can settle the uncertainty you may have.
I hope thats the case and you end up only having the scuff repaired.
You did the appropriate thing getting his insurance details and have taken a very level headed approach.
At the end of the day, unless you are qualified in the matter ruling out hidden damage is a tough one.
2 things are important here.
1) The vehicle is safe/straight.
2) You are satisfied with the result.

Good Luck.

We had a non-fault accident and used a claims management company rather than insurer (recommended through our local VW dealership). We notified our insurers who put a note on their records but it had no impact at renewal (premium went down).

We had a non-fault accident and used a claims management company rather than insurer (recommended through our local VW dealership). We notified our insurers who put a note on their records but it had no impact at renewal (premium went down).
Had a guy from eastern block hit my wife’s car had a merry dance with him to cough up some dosh he did not want to go through insurance so said ok mate I will sort it with the boys in blue that was enough to steer him to his wallet

Had a guy from eastern block hit my wife’s car had a merry dance with him to cough up some dosh he did not want to go through insurance so said ok mate I will sort it with the boys in blue that was enough to steer him to his wallet
Got a quick and fair price off scratch master

I had what I then thought was a minor bump whilst in my wife's car. I was parallel parked in a road side parking bay whilst waiting for my wife when a drunk reversed into her car and then attempted to drive off. No point in calling the police as I would probably still be waiting! He said that there was no damage to her car. As it was dark I couldn't see properly so insisted details were taken. The cost of repairs ended up well north of £1000!

I too was advised to go through a claims management company which to be fair, probably accounted for the lions share of the cost. However when it came to renewal time the insurance premium had sky rocketed. When I asked why, the insurance company said that the accident had raised our assessed risk level. When I asked how a no fault accident could have done that they merely said that because I had had an accident that proved that I/we were more susceptible to accidents and therefore the raised premium.
I then terminated our association with Admiral.

In the daylight I've noticed that there is also a small dent below my number plate. Hard to see, but you can see in the photo how it's distorting the reflection. Reckon that's from the big Dacia badge on the back of his car
upload_2018-6-30_12-12-10.jpeg

Given that the impact has dented the panel chances are that your bumper has taken a fair bit of force and might be damaged albeit invisible, so I think you'd be sensible to get it checked out. Watch out that your insurer doesn't need to be informed within a set period though.

Good afternoon,

If something like this would happen to me I would always go to my local VW dealer to get it checked.

If nothing is broken - brilliant peace of mind. If something is broken, what is the cost of repair.

If I did the damage, and can afford it, it will be repaired. If somebody else did it I will ensure to get to cost for the repair of him / her.

Regards,
Eberhard

In the daylight I've noticed that there is also a small dent below my number plate. Hard to see, but you can see in the photo how it's distorting the reflection. Reckon that's from the big Dacia badge on the back of his car
View attachment 34937

Seeing that I will definitely say trundle down to your local VW dealer for it to be checked over. There may be hidden damage to the tailgate locking mechanism as well.

Hi all,

Further to my original post where my parked Cali was bumped by a neighbour. It's been a long process, what with trips I had planned and to-ing and fro-ing with insurance.
It's been difficult agreeing on a company to do the repairs on my tailgate.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a panel repair company you have trusted your Cali with anywhere within the vicinity of Leeds?

Hi all,

Further to my original post where my parked Cali was bumped by a neighbour. It's been a long process, what with trips I had planned and to-ing and fro-ing with insurance.
It's been difficult agreeing on a company to do the repairs on my tailgate.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a panel repair company you have trusted your Cali with anywhere within the vicinity of Leeds?
In order to retain the Bodywork warranty and any other associated repairs it will have to be a VW approved repair shop. So who does your local VW Dealership use?

I know it is a California but underneath the badge the bodywork is a fairly common T6 Commercial Vehicle.

Back