Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bunk to go across front seats

Blue Beach

Blue Beach

Vehicle
T5 Beach
hello
Does anyone have any experience with front seat bunks? we have three children and they are not getting on that well together all in the top bed (arguing, grumbling, squishing each other etc....) and wondered if anyone had used a front cab bunk and if so which ones? My daughter is 4 so not that big at the moment. I worry a bit about her falling out of the hammock type ones or if they would mark the doors
I have seen these on the Internet
http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/the-cabbunk-story/
Or these type
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/German-Qu...504985?hash=item25a9612159:g:tusAAOxy0zhTLMcH

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences they would like to share?
Thanks, helen

Did you try and search on the forum....?
There is one for sale at the moment from a fellow beach owner from Belgium
Try search posts from @bmassaer as i think it was him selling one.

Last edited:
We tried cab bunks which we used successfully for years in our t4 but found as they sit on the window sill it restricted access to the pop up roof in the california.

We have used a self inflating mattress/the multiflex cushion from our beach across the front seats with a backless booster seat on its side next to the handbrake to support where the gap would be and it is so quick and easy to setup, takes no storage space either. My daughter loves her little bed. I tried to persuade her to swap with one of her siblings but she refused!

Thanks for that, do you have any problems with her falling out? Are the seats faced forwards or backwards when you do the cushions across the seats?

We have a hammock one that fits spans between the door tops. Its a complete pain as you need the front seats facing forwards, it makes entry to the roof bed carry difficult, it needs assembling/dismantling outside the van and inserting via a front door. You also really need suction cup mounted side window blinds as the magnetic ones get knocked off.

Having to go outside dismantle it & rotate the front seats very first thing is not my favourite job. Throw in typical wet & windy english weather & its just not worth the hassle.

The only time we need it is when there are 5 of us camping & the extra person in the van makes all the above twice as bad.

If we had a beach we would leave3 kids downstairs maybe lying across the van rather than lengthways & retreat to the roof.

This is what we now use, the multiflex cushion with seats facing forwards as it creates a bit more of a snug area and my middle one sleeps here very happily. When we used a self inflating mattress it did allow us to have the seats facing in different directions so we usually had the passenger seat rotated to make access to the roof very easy and never had anyone roll out! I'll try and dig out a pic of the self inflating option but it does need to be a kids size mat to fit.

upload_2016-5-2_20-49-26.png

Back