Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting a cabbunk

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I ordered a cabbunk direct from their website as it advertises that the sliding door kit caters for both the T5 and T6 campervans or pretty much any campervan/motorhome as long as front seats swivel.

I can’t for the life of me see how these will fit let alone be strong enough to hold the bunk up.
Has anyone fitted one?

D61E7E43-D03E-450B-B132-E962AF95FF73.jpeg

99AC15B3-F998-4CB8-8383-6FC3548DBD38.jpeg

I looked at these ages ago for our old Toyota van, but never went for it. I just looked at their video and in their motorhome and it seems that bar is closer to the side In their moho and is conveniently screwed into a fixed pangel.

I’m with you Mike in thinking that it won’t be very stable, especially once you get some wiggly kids in it. I really wouldn’t trust this for my little grandkids, not even the dog!

I wonder how much testing they’ve done in different campervans. In all their testimonials there’s only 1 showing a campervan pic (not a Cali) and you can’t see how it’s fixed.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting my youngest to sleep on the multiplex board. Anyone tried it?

Well I may have been a bit quick to moan. I wrote them an email this evening at 8pm and already have had a reply less than an hour later. Kudos to that and the fact that they have thought about or at least delt with the California before (remains to be seen if it’s strong enough).

Quote;

The California is slightly more involved than other T6 models.
Both uprights are too long. 1. RHS Reduce it down to the lowest it will go and then look at whether you need to cut the top of the upright down (with a junior hacksaw then replace the black plastic cap and velcro)to brace against, but just clear the pull down blind.
2. LHS needs to drop down a few cm for the top of the upright to sit adjacent to the coat hook up on the left. Take a cable tie and secure the top of the upright to the hook .
Once braced both sides you can set the bunks up normally.
Photos show the LHS cable tie arrangement and also Patented Cabbunk in a more usual T6.

F28C233D-FEC9-4C50-B93D-47739C5A630A.jpeg

6AE896B1-D67F-4182-AF29-3A61ED58F3C4.jpeg

@Amarillo , is very expirienced in sleeping young kids in a beach while on his euro-trip.
Also lots of threads in the Cali kids section regarding hammocs,etc...

@Amarillo , is very expirienced in sleeping young kids in a beach while on his euro-trip.
Also lots of threads in the Cali kids section regarding hammocs,etc...

Thanks will take a look! I’ve read a few posts on sleeping arrangements and searched as well. Which is why I ended up with the cabbunk. I think sleeping arrangements will change every year as kids get older. That’s one of the beauty of beaches. So many different configurations.

I’m only planning on using one bunk. You can’t buy second separately so I thought I’d get that purely for resell when I’m done with it. My kids are all young and can sleep width ways. So thinking of a combination of small portable cott bed for youngest (1 year old will most likely end up with us). One in a cab bunk. And one on the 3 seat bench.

I’ve not really fancied the look of any other cab bunks or mattress in the front as they lie straight up against front console and wheel. With the seats swivelled for the cabbunk, they are kept away from both a little better.

How do you get into the roof bed with that in place?

we have one of the cab bunks that spans between the cab doors & found it extremely difficult to get into the roof with it in the way. This looks even harder as the top bunk is closer to the opening height wise & the whole thing looks to project a foot further towards the rear of the van covering even more of the opening.

How do you get into the roof bed with that in place?

I was curious and will let you know if it’s fitted but could be tricky! I’m wondering if it’s strong enough to use the horizontal pole where it meets the bracket as a foot peg (better than using a arm rest or small child! :rolleyes: )

So cut the brackets down a little and now the system works. Doesn’t look sturdy until there is weight in the bunks and then this pulls it snug against the trim over the b pillar.
F92E14E3-89CE-4AE0-8F57-FF132987CDC2.jpeg
I’ll probably add a few more Velcro fixing points to make it a little more fool proof.

no.1 approves.

DC10F39B-4144-4FF4-A53C-889B020395BB.jpeg

the biggest challenge is getting up if a child is sleeping. I wouldn’t attempt with 2 sleeping!!

Test fitting cabbunk in vw California beach

Was just gonna say - how will you get up and down -
then i clicked on the link. :thumb

We have just been through the same process for a ocean, having had a few phone calls with them, did the same trimming of the poles, seems to to stable enough for a child. A no jumping up and down rule has been implemented. If it the top bunk quite a lots of pressure is put on the hook with the cable tie.The designer Richard tells me he looked at the California drawings and says the hook is plastic over a metal extension of the b pillar so very strong. It does not seem that strong but that could be due to the plastic trim covering the hook is flexible. Thanks for climbing up there, I just assumed that we would only be using it when all camping downstairs on a quick stop between campsites, but still being able to use upstairs will be useful. Do you really think it’s strong enough to take the weight of an adult climbing up and down on the bunk ? It made a big creak when you climbed up.

Hi Mike, I’m not sure how many kids you have, but why not just put them all upstairs and adults sleep downstairs?

one of the kids is only 1 so for the moment we wouldn’t trust all three side by side. This allows for floor space to put a cot down. I think arrangements can change month on month so this gives us another option in future. Also if camping with my sisters family there’s the option for her two girls at the top and my kids on the bunks potentially.

We have just been through the same process for a ocean, having had a few phone calls with them, did the same trimming of the poles, seems to to stable enough for a child. A no jumping up and down rule has been implemented. If it the top bunk quite a lots of pressure is put on the hook with the cable tie.The designer Richard tells me he looked at the California drawings and says the hook is plastic over a metal extension of the b pillar so very strong. It does not seem that strong but that could be due to the plastic trim covering the hook is flexible. Thanks for climbing up there, I just assumed that we would only be using it when all camping downstairs on a quick stop between campsites, but still being able to use upstairs will be useful. Do you really think it’s strong enough to take the weight of an adult climbing up and down on the bunk ? It made a big creak when you climbed up.

I think the creek/noise was the Velcro. I’m not super heavy... about 75kg. I wouldn’t want to risk repeated journeys up and down. I’m thinking about a rope ladder suspended from a poll up in the roof section if we end up using this arrangement more than a couple of times

So cut the brackets down a little and now the system works. Doesn’t look sturdy until there is weight in the bunks and then this pulls it snug against the trim over the b pillar.
View attachment 62067
I’ll probably add a few more Velcro fixing points to make it a little more fool proof.

no.1 approves.

View attachment 62068

the biggest challenge is getting up if a child is sleeping. I wouldn’t attempt with 2 sleeping!!

Test fitting cabbunk in vw California beach
Well no 1 looks pretty happy. Result!

Great info that you have posted here Mike,
im sure it will come in handy for some folks. :thumb

I think the creek/noise was the Velcro. I’m not super heavy... about 75kg. I wouldn’t want to risk repeated journeys up and down. I’m thinking about a rope ladder suspended from a poll up in the roof section if we end up using this arrangement more than a couple of times
Small or cutdown telescopic ladder?

Yes thanks so much for posting, if and when you find a ladder solution looking forward to seeing it

Ive just bought a Beach and a Cabbunk and also was emailing the guy after the team at Campervantastic said they wouldnt fit.

Ive bought some extra double sided velcro and the owner has posted me the velcro and cable tie combination.

Did you have to cut both sides?

Yes fit the door side as, wanted to lower the support so it rests on a wider part of the door frame away from the blind grove, if that makes sense. There is 30cm of extension in the bottom foot bracket, so there is room for going up and down even after cutting.

Sorry not fit meant cut the door side

Back