Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a second hand T6 or T6.1 Cali - what to be aware of / warranty

W

wugbaspin

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I've read a few posts about possible reliability issues and problems. Difficult to know how to judge how common the various faults are.
Normally I avoid VAG cars as reliability has for a long time been below par, but I'd make an exception for a Cali!
When buying a car which is 5+ years old, I'll accept occasional problems. I'm wondering what the big ticket items would be - I assume the electric roof mechanism is one? Would consider getting one VW approved with an extended warranty, but would also be nice to consider ones from private buyers/independents.
I have owned a Caterham for years so am used to cars which have their quirks, but with a Cali there is a lot I probably can't fix myself.
Ben

Hi, I've read a few posts about possible reliability issues and problems. Difficult to know how to judge how common the various faults are.
Normally I avoid VAG cars as reliability has for a long time been below par, but I'd make an exception for a Cali!
When buying a car which is 5+ years old, I'll accept occasional problems. I'm wondering what the big ticket items would be - I assume the electric roof mechanism is one? Would consider getting one VW approved with an extended warranty, but would also be nice to consider ones from private buyers/independents.
I have owned a Caterham for years so am used to cars which have their quirks, but with a Cali there is a lot I probably can't fix myself.
Ben
Get one with a warranty if you can. All of the ones I have for sell at https://www.southamptonvwcamperhire.co.uk/vw-california-ocean-for-sale/ have 3 years warranty left and freshly serviced. Hope that helps.

Ben
I am on my 4th VW, and never really had to experience any real reliability issues.
At least not engine wise. Some occasional door lock issues have occured on the 2 last VW's, but apart from that, not really to mention.
The only time I couldn't drive my California anymore was when the drive shaft lost it's teeth. The other 2 issues were an EGR, and a temperature sensor in the DPF. Not bat for 14 years and almost 200000km.

One can always be unlucky, but on the other hand, on the internet you will only read the problems. Never stories about people not having any issues at all.

Thanks for the replies. @Soton I have emailed you from your website.
Do keep the advice coming! Thanks, Ben

Ben
My experience of VAG has been the opposite. The challenge with Forums is you see the bad news stories and assume they are the full picture given very few bother to tell their good news.

I've a 4 year old Taguan with zero issues and my 6.1 is 2 years old and the same. Prior to that I had a Golf, also no problems.

Get a 6.1 with a few years warranty left, pay for the extra warranty if you can, and enjoy life.

Last edited:
Or get one under 6 year old with FSH (I think) then you can buy the all in policy from VW which includes 2 year warranty but I think it’s not as comprehensive as the VW original one but better than no warranty at all

Thanks for all the feedback on this. Have also been searching the forum and have a decent idea now of what to look out for, in the event of buying privately without a warranty. Still weighing up what the best option is. Probably depends on the right van becoming available.

We have sold our 2012 Cali Beach great van. Had below issues in 4 years of ownership:

- 35k miles / new master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, DMF, £1200
- Roof corrosion / We were on the recall waiting list for 4 years, no follow up from VW, since sold the van.
- Cambelt, water pump replaced @27k miles. £550; VW have since changed the replacement interval.

Resale was more than purchase price so the gain more than covered the above repair costs.

Oceans / Some hydraulic roofs have issues, £2k for VW to fix or £100 DIY fix (swap sensors).

Don’t pay a premium for VW approved. Better off buying privately and putting the saved cash in the bank for any future repairs.

Last edited:
Thanks - that's good advice. Having read a lot on the forum, I'm now much more aware of the potential problems and the years which are affected. Would definitely consider buying privately if the price is right.

Back