Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I be terrified of buying a new diesel California?

But as we have only spent the same as the BMW driver in the first place, it would not matter, would it ?

If anyone is really concerned about the residual, buy on a PCP with a guaranteed final Value, that way its the finance company taking the risk not the buyer.

But as we have only spent the same as the BMW driver in the first place, it would not matter, would it ?
Yes, as I guess many like me justify running a Cali based on the fact it depreciates so slowly. I suspect I'm not alone here in being asset rich but income poor. If a big change in the market went from costing me £2k a year to £10k a year, I for one would feel that.

If anyone is really concerned about the residual, buy on a PCP with a guaranteed final Value, that way its the finance company taking the risk not the buyer.
It's good logic Andy but most discussions on PCP here involve the expectation that the Cali would be worth far more than the balloon payment at the end of the contract, giving either a nice profit on sale, or equity in a refinanced deal.
So the risk is still with the buyer, as the PCP end values already assume an end of the world scenario.

Yes, as I guess many like me justify running a Cali based on the fact it depreciates so slowly. I suspect I'm not alone here in being asset rich but income poor. If a big change in the market went from costing me £2k a year to £10k a year, I for one would feel that.

What I meant was, if like me others keep it long term, then it matters not a jot about depreciation. Mine is getting on for 8 years old, in good condition and I have no intention of swapping it in.

For the first time I am considering the residual value of a Cali.

If I change now then owning one would have cost me around £3,800 per year. If I had bought a mini clubman instead then it would have cost me £3,400 per year.

For £400 per year I have slept better for 250 nights in the Cali than I would have done in the mini clubman.

Did I do the right thing buying a Cali instead?

What I meant was, if like me others keep it long term, then it matters not a jot about depreciation. Mine is getting on for 8 years old, in good condition and I have no intention of swapping it in.

Sometimes I can cry wanting to have that attitude.

One of my many deep fractures of confidence is being mechanically hopeless, almost dyslexic when it comes to mechanical things. Unless I have a, probably false, shield of confidence around me that what I have is covered by Warranty or at least new enough to give me a feeling of false confidence, I feel totally vulnerable going anywhere further than my own backyard.

I have lost count of how many perfectly reliable vehicles I have traded in for the "brand new" heap of rubbish :sad

I think you're making a mistake selling Albert, you know the van and have serviced and taken care of him, the T6 offers only trinkets compared to what you have.

But at the end if the day it doesn't matter what I think, it's what makes ppl happy and I can see a new Cali delivering that to anyone ,❤️

Last edited:
I am in the market for a used VW panel van with Petrol engine guess what I cannot find one , asked several dealers and all say same never seen one there lies your answer we are brainwashed to buy Petrol
The VW panel van must be the best selling Van on the market 200,000 miles and still asking £5 k
So why would you buy a petrol engine that has only just been made it is clear the VW van is not selling any petrol engine models yet

Sad to see Albert is to be replaced but he will go to a new home down the supply chain and give someone who cant afford a new one, GrannyJen has I feel made a good choice buying something easy to tow , no drive away awnings , very easy to set up

By the time diesels are banned in 2040 (wishful thinking) most of us on this site will be either pushing up daisies, or our main worry will be how to make it to the toilet on time. The national infrastructure to provide the required additional power would be staggeringly expensive. Even if the UK taxpayer could find the money, how many of you want a shiny new nuke power station at the bottom of your garden? If you want to ease your eco conscience, then buy a diesel T5 or even better a T6 and enjoy your life, because what will be will be and there is sod all you can do about it!

Last edited:
By the time diesels are banned in 2040 (wishful thinking) most of us on this site will be either pushing up daisies, or our main worry will be how to make it to the toilet on time. The national infrastructure to provide the required additional power would be staggeringly expensive. Even if the UK taxpayer could find the money, how many of you want a shiny new nuke power station at the bottom of your garden? If you want to ease your eco conscience, then buy a diesel T5 or even better a T6 and enjoy your life, because what will be will be and there is sod all you can do about it!

Speak for yourself! I'll only be 59 in 2040, so still working or just about to stop I'd expect.

I drive (and have driven) an electric daily driver for the last few year (BMW i3) and it's just fantastic. I can't wait for the time when battery technology has come on to the point where a decent range transporter platform is made possible.

In terms of infrastructure, most with electric cars charge overnight when the current energy system is not under peak load (ie Economy 7) and many of us also have solar. Battery storage technology for our homes will help in time too, so we can save up the solar we generate and then use it to charge the car later when the sun has gone.

Shell petrol stations have now started to trail installing rapid electric chargers too. At least one of the petrol companies has recognised the way things are starting to go....

Electric in a cali / HGV makes perfect sense - look at trains, trams, the underground etc. All very high torque, quick and clean.

There is no question in my mind though that Diesel is the pick of the current Cali range.

Speak for yourself! I'll only be 59 in 2040, so still working or just about to stop I'd expect.

I drive (and have driven) an electric daily driver for the last few year (BMW i3) and it's just fantastic. I can't wait for the time when battery technology has come on to the point where a decent range transporter platform is made possible.

In terms of infrastructure, most with electric cars charge overnight when the current energy system is not under peak load (ie Economy 7) and many of us also have solar. Battery storage technology for our homes will help in time too, so we can save up the solar we generate and then use it to charge the car later when the sun has gone.

Shell petrol stations have now started to trail installing rapid electric chargers too. At least one of the petrol companies has recognised the way things are starting to go....

Electric in a cali / HGV makes perfect sense - look at trains, trams, the underground etc. All very high torque, quick and clean.

There is no question in my mind though that Diesel is the pick of the current Cali range.

The time when diesel is no more is many years from now. Don't fret about electric as it will be short lived when disposal of batteries and failing wind farms blight the land. Solar is for sunny climes not up here.
We will turn to another power source, that is of course if AI lets us. As Prof S Hawkins predicts AI will rule and future Cali's will not carry us but take themselves to the seaside for a holiday. Glad I cannot see into the future but glory in today. Make the most of it and be happy. I hate Monday mornings

The time when diesel is no more is many years from now. Don't fret about electric as it will be short lived when disposal of batteries and failing wind farms blight the land. Solar is for sunny climes not up here.
We will turn to another power source, that is of course if AI lets us. As Prof S Hawkins predicts AI will rule and future Cali's will not carry us but take themselves to the seaside for a holiday. Glad I cannot see into the future but glory in today. Make the most of it and be happy. I hate Monday mornings
I on the other hand will clean my chimney and continue to pollute the atmosphere with my woodburning stove. I washed the cali' yesterday and it's covered in dust again Bugger!

You’ll be working until you’re 80 as they’ll need the taxes to pay for the infrastructure to charge the E vehicles.
Battery technology for homes will only be of use in the countryside and suburbia not the inner city, likewise household solar.
Hybrid technology will be the way forward because it will take a lot longer than 23 years to put in place the infrastructure for an E vehicle economy.
The way forward should be a gradual elimination of all EU1-4 vehicles, of all kinds in the first instance with a scrappage scheme targeted at non EU compliant vehicles, then EU1 and so on to convert to EU5 and above, and involve 2nd hand not just new vehicles so you get the scrappage allowance if you go from a non-EU vehicle to a EU5 vehicle. Also stricter MOT emmision tests to stop the bypassing of emission control systems.

Hybrid technology as a friend who works for a large car company pointed out, are by their nature inefficient because you are carrying around extra weight either an engine you aren't using or a battery you are charging from the engine. If you use the car in electric mode more often for example that engine will be sat their just dragging down your mileage for the rare times you use it.

Unless you do a regular long journeys, a hybrid isn't worth getting over pure electric.

I agree with WG though EU5 and 6 are probably going to stay for some time and its the older ones that are most of the problem and need to go.

To be honest shipping churns out a lot more pollution than cars anyway but that never gets talked about for some reason.

[QUOTE="MattBW, post: 246691, member: 10035]

To be honest shipping churns out a lot more pollution than cars anyway but that never gets talked about for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the ships aren’t in the city centre.:thumb

It does depend on the type of hybrid technology used. At present you have 2 drive systems connected to the wheels. I’m no expert but why can’t you have an electric drivetrain with a generator powered by Diesel/petrol or gas that runs at optimal performance/emissions level just charging the batteries?

I believe the prius works on that theory? Running at a constant efficient revs to charge the battery, doesnt seem to have became the norm so no idea what the downside is.

I had a trip in a hybrid Range Rover, when the electric assisted the engine the acceleration was mind boggling!

I believe the prius works on that theory? Running at a constant efficient revs to charge the battery, doesnt seem to have became the norm so no idea what the downside is.

I had a trip in a hybrid Range Rover, when the electric assisted the engine the acceleration was mind boggling!
Boggling will do and an overall range of 500 miles and all-electric range of about 50 for the shorter trips.

Back