Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying older Cali's circa 2008 - 174 Tiptronic?

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anyone running one of these with 50 or 60k odd on the clock?

I'm flitting about all over the place with direction in buying our next Cali but considering an older one as well as newer, really whatever comes on the market of interest.

Any particular foibles with this era and engine/transmission?

Presuming it should be on second cambelt change and probably a 'box oil change?

Any other milestones with this sort of mileage to be wary of?

Thanks guys. :)

Anyone running one of these with 50 or 60k odd on the clock?

I'm flitting about all over the place with direction in buying our next Cali but considering an older one as well as newer, really whatever comes on the market of interest.

Any particular foibles with this era and engine/transmission?

Presuming it should be on second cambelt change and probably a 'box oil change?

Any other milestones with this sort of mileage to be wary of?

Thanks guys. :)

A 2008 does not have a cambelt. Never heard of a tiptronic having to have an oil change, perhaps someone with one can answer.

I've got a 2009 174 tiptronic and not had a moment's trouble with either the engine or gearbox, but we've only done 22000 miles so probably not best placed to offer an opinion.
The growing concensus on here seems to be that a cali of this age and spec could be preferable to an early T5.1 180 DSG due to the potential costly engine trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps - had totally forgotten this was all chain drive on the old 5 cylinder. So no cam belt, no 'box oil changes either and just regular servicing I guess.

Freeley - how is MPG, consensus for all round seems about 28, not great but that's the price of old tech I suppose! What is the tax bracket/cost?

Any others running one from this era?

Last edited:
28mpg is about right overall I'd say, might be an issue if you plan on doing big miles but at 3000 a year we can cope!
If you mean road tax it's the same as other variants as it's PLG + about £235.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm running a 174 PS with 90,000 miles on it (although a manual - and get 35MPG tank to tank if I don't rag it too hard!!). It never gives a moments trouble and having chains not belts gives me a huge amount of confidence (although I always have mine serviced by VW even now annually). The only downside is the RFL which is now £305 p.a. However it's a drop in the ocean for such a flexible vehicle. I believe if your vehicle is registered as PLG you are in the eyes of the police restricted to 60MPH on national speed limit dual carriageway (for instance) and may be charged more for tolls on bridges etc.

Don't suppose anyone knows what these were new?

In 2006 in the UK SE's OTR started at...wait for it...£34k!

174 autos more of course.

I can remember a friend showing me his 'new' one many years ago and that was IIRC a dealer ex-demo at £29k or something!

Last edited:
Ours was ex demo with 1400 miles on the clock, on the forecourt for £38k.
Price new was about £43k I believe

Back