Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying our first California T6.1 - Ocean or Coast or 4 Motion.....

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We hope in a couple of days place a deposit for our first California, agreed with the dealer refundable till we see the 6.1. Would like to be in the queue for a T6.1 but want to see the new model/colours etc especially as never owned a California before.

Will be towing an Eriba Troll 550. Our thinking is the California will be with us for a few years so want to make sure we order the most suitable model, aware of higher prices for the T6.1 but want to get the best we can and have no regrets BUT at the same time not waste money (they are expensive). At the moment not 100% sure which model is best the Coast or the Ocean, we are thinking 4 Motion and the 199 only because we tow a caravan and do like to go to small campsites in fields, we have a Yeti with 4x4 at the moment. I know on this forum lots of info discussion about 4 Motion, just wondered what model people prefer. Want to try and get the best we can to enjoy hopefully many years in the California so prepared to go with the Ocean 4 Motion just with extras it does mount up.

Would be interested in what other owners have ordered if purchasing the new T6.1, we have no experience of a California. Would love to have it for our Lake Distruct holiday (Easter) and summer holiday (Denmark & Sweden) hence thinking of paying a deposit. Dealer said no discounts, orders from VW UK! Have seen here someone has produced a spreadsheet on the different models so will download this. If we go with the 4Motion and 199 have to go with the Ocean I think. I can see the interior is different in the 2x models wood or the grey. Manual roof or electric, the Ocean has many extras just not sure what they all do!!! Like the idea of the two colour scheme (cost keeps going up and up) dealer suggested we go for single colour and the wrap the lower part, choice of colours looks limited on the T6.1 again not being able to see the colours in the flesh as such doesn’t help.

Any advice/suggestions greatly received.

Sounds like you have been going through some of the same questions that hubby and I have been going through !

We bit the bullet this week and ordered the 6.1 Ocean 4Motion. It sounds like our dealer was perhaps a little more helpful than yours, as there are some discounts possibly being launched in January if you take finance. We also found it useful to visit more than one dealer ...

We found that the Ocean was the right answer, as we went through the list of what was essential , nice to have and not required it was more cost effective to go for the Ocean than spec up a Coast with options. We also hope the residual value will be more stable on the Ocean.

We didn’t go for the 2 tone paint, at £2500 it wasn’t a cost I was prepared to add - and as our dealer wasn’t expecting a 6.1 in for a little while we decided to be brave and buy without seeing. Hopefully she will be with us in April ready for adventure.

Good luck !

Our T6.1 Ocean is due to arrive in a few weeks. Most of the colours are the same as now so you can get a very good idea by looking at VW Transporters. Engine size, we are getting the 150 but won't be towing.

Discounts, not sure what is currently being offered but I would highly recommend our dealer who has been superb - call Martin at Robinsons in Norwich. Deposits are always refundable so just go for it, if you change your mind you can just cancel. If you want it for Easter you probably need to crack on. Good luck!

We hope in a couple of days place a deposit for our first California, agreed with the dealer refundable till we see the 6.1. Would like to be in the queue for a T6.1 but want to see the new model/colours etc especially as never owned a California before.

Will be towing an Eriba Troll 550. Our thinking is the California will be with us for a few years so want to make sure we order the most suitable model, aware of higher prices for the T6.1 but want to get the best we can and have no regrets BUT at the same time not waste money (they are expensive). At the moment not 100% sure which model is best the Coast or the Ocean, we are thinking 4 Motion and the 199 only because we tow a caravan and do like to go to small campsites in fields, we have a Yeti with 4x4 at the moment. I know on this forum lots of info discussion about 4 Motion, just wondered what model people prefer. Want to try and get the best we can to enjoy hopefully many years in the California so prepared to go with the Ocean 4 Motion just with extras it does mount up.

Would be interested in what other owners have ordered if purchasing the new T6.1, we have no experience of a California. Would love to have it for our Lake Distruct holiday (Easter) and summer holiday (Denmark & Sweden) hence thinking of paying a deposit. Dealer said no discounts, orders from VW UK! Have seen here someone has produced a spreadsheet on the different models so will download this. If we go with the 4Motion and 199 have to go with the Ocean I think. I can see the interior is different in the 2x models wood or the grey. Manual roof or electric, the Ocean has many extras just not sure what they all do!!! Like the idea of the two colour scheme (cost keeps going up and up) dealer suggested we go for single colour and the wrap the lower part, choice of colours looks limited on the T6.1 again not being able to see the colours in the flesh as such doesn’t help.

I got

i went through autoebid and they negotiated a 4.5k discount. You still buy the van through a VW dealer, they just put you in touch and negotiate the discount for you.

I got

i went through autoebid and they negotiated a 4.5k discount. You still buy the van through a VW dealer, they just put you in touch and negotiate the discount for you.
We second this ... its worth getting a quote from autoebid before you go ahead. We are planning to order Ocean later in the month and will likely go via this route unless local dealer can offer similar deal.

6.1 vans are now in the country so colours should be available in the 'flesh' to view.

4 Motion for towing as front wheel drive will have traction and tyre wear issues with the caravan attached.

With a caravan wouldn't a Caravelle or Combi van be sufficient? just curious.

4 Motion for towing as front wheel drive will have traction and tyre wear issues with the caravan attached.

A counter-viewpoint to that: I haul around a car transporter trailer which when loaded weighs significantly more than an Eriba Troll caravan, with my 2WD/180bhp/manual California with no particular traction problems although admittedly haven't tried it on snow/ice.

I'd bet any additional tyre wear when towing wouldn't be significant when compared against the extra purchase cost and permanent extra fuel consumption of 4 Motion.

Sorry, not trying to re-ignite the 4Mo debate generally, but on this particular point... if you want 4WD then go for it but in my experience the 2WD tows just fine.

6.1 vans are now in the country so colours should be available in the 'flesh' to view.

With a caravan wouldn't a Caravelle or Combi van be sufficient? just curious.
The Eriba is a very small caravan (which we love) and we like the idea of short trips away in the California (single nights) at the weekend, also when our son gets a little older has the option of sleeping in the California we sleep in the Eriba :)

Not h
We second this ... its worth getting a quote from autoebid before you go ahead. We are planning to order Ocean later in the month and will likely go via this route unless local dealer can offer similar deal.
Thanks not heard of autoebid, can you still do finance (50/50) if you buy through this company?

The Eriba is a very small caravan (which we love) and we like the idea of short trips away in the California (single nights) at the weekend, also when our son gets a little older has the option of sleeping in the California we sleep in the Eriba :)
You put a Troll 550 as towed caravan, not the usual 3xx dimension or even smaller normally associated with Cali's, which was why I was curious.

You will miss the 'convenience' facility of a caravan even on short trips. Ways to overcome this though.

A counter-viewpoint to that: I haul around a car transporter trailer which when loaded weighs significantly more than an Eriba Troll caravan, with my 2WD/180bhp/manual California with no particular traction problems although admittedly haven't tried it on snow/ice.

I'd bet any additional tyre wear when towing wouldn't be significant when compared against the extra purchase cost and permanent extra fuel consumption of 4 Motion.

Sorry, not trying to re-ignite the 4Mo debate generally, but on this particular point... if you want 4WD then go for it but in my experience the 2WD tows just fine.
I was considering the grass field scenario with uphill wet grass or muddy track to negotiate in addition to on road use. Up to 4,300 kgs to set in motion.

I haven't looked at towing fuel consumption figures for 2WD and 4WD.

4M initial cost is offset by a higher residual so not a simple comparison. eg 2K extra purchase cost, 50% depreciation giving a £1K cost in real terms.

Not h

Thanks not heard of autoebid, can you still do finance (50/50) if you buy through this company?
I have not used autoebid myself, but I did use Drive the Deal when i bought my A6 a few years ago. I assume autoebid are the same as DtD in that they are just an introduction agency. They will get a flat fee of a few hundred pounds after which you will liaise directly with the dealer and can sort out your final spec, financing etc. Or use the autoebid price, present to your local dealer, ask them to match/better it, if not take your £60k elsewhere! As per my previous post call Martin at Robinsons of Norwich for a very helpful dealer.

Yes we will miss the washr
You put a Troll 550 as towed caravan, not the usual 3xx dimension or even smaller normally associated with Cali's, which was why I was curious.

You will miss the 'convenience' facility of a caravan even on short trips. Ways to overcome this though.
Yes will miss the washroom or en-suite as we call it, but it will only be for single nights, had smaller Eribas previously, as our son has got taller our Eribas have got longer :)

Sounds like you have been going through some of the same questions that hubby and I have been going through !

We bit the bullet this week and ordered the 6.1 Ocean 4Motion. It sounds like our dealer was perhaps a little more helpful than yours, as there are some discounts possibly being launched in January if you take finance. We also found it useful to visit more than one dealer ...

We found that the Ocean was the right answer, as we went through the list of what was essential , nice to have and not required it was more cost effective to go for the Ocean than spec up a Coast with options. We also hope the residual value will be more stable on the Ocean.

We didn’t go for the 2 tone paint, at £2500 it wasn’t a cost I was prepared to add - and as our dealer wasn’t expecting a 6.1 in for a little while we decided to be brave and buy without seeing. Hopefully she will be with us in April ready for adventure.

Good luck !
Thanks for your reply, the dealer has been helpful, hopefully if we go with putting down a deposit he will go through finances and best options, will have a look at the website recommended and mention to the dealer the discounted price. He has found it hard to help with some of our questions on the T6.1 as he is yet to see himself. The VW UK dealers introduction to the model was done without a T6.1!! Dealer demo arrives soon. Think we will go with 4Motion and the Ocean. Dealer suggested single colour and a wrap on the lower part to save money. Like the look of the 2 tone models. Some thinking to do and number crunching the next few days before contacting the dealer again. If no discount then will contact the Norwich dealer, we live in Essex.

We ordered via autoebid too and got a healthy discount

elected against the 4Motion as the cO2 and mpg were not to my likings but then im also not towing anything

Dealer suggested single colour and a wrap on the lower part to save money. Like the look of the 2 tone models.
We originally ordered a two tone T6 which got changed to a T6.1. We wanted our T6.1 in silver and blue, which you can get in Germany. I have been in contact with Monster Wraps who seem to have a good reputation. Whether a bottom, or top, half wrap you are looking at £1,250. So total cost is not much different to what VW are asking for a silver base coloured van plus whatever colour you want for bottom half. The T6.1 two tones, that you can order in Germany but not the UK, are mainly silver base van plus an overspray of the bottom.

Of course if you want a white top half then I think white is still a "free" colour so it will only be the £1,250 to wrap the bottom half.

Thanks for your reply, the dealer has been helpful, hopefully if we go with putting down a deposit he will go through finances and best options, will have a look at the website recommended and mention to the dealer the discounted price. He has found it hard to help with some of our questions on the T6.1 as he is yet to see himself. The VW UK dealers introduction to the model was done without a T6.1!! Dealer demo arrives soon. Think we will go with 4Motion and the Ocean. Dealer suggested single colour and a wrap on the lower part to save money. Like the look of the 2 tone models. Some thinking to do and number crunching the next few days before contacting the dealer again. If no discount then will contact the Norwich dealer, we live in Essex.

I also live in Essex, are you dealing with Loughton or Beadles?

Don’t believe a dealer AT ALL that tells you no discount.

Once you know your spec, a bit of work could easily get you the 4motion cost for free, so please please make a few calls, especially if you are prepared to travel a bit!

Based on advice on here, at least try:
Breeze Poole
SMG Tonbridge
Robinsons + Norwich
Preston VW
Liverpool VW

I also live in Essex, are you dealing with Loughton or Beadles?

Don’t believe a dealer AT ALL that tells you no discount.

Once you know your spec, a bit of work could easily get you the 4motion cost for free, so please please make a few calls, especially if you are prepared to travel a bit!

Based on advice on here, at least try:
Breeze Poole
SMG Tonbridge
Robinsons *+ Norwich
Preston VW
Liverpool VW
Thanks for your advice, dealing with Loughton, Bury St Edmonds dealer nearest but don’t sell California’s anymore. Loughton dealer just been bought out by bigger group. Now we know what we what (well almost) can see what the dealer can offer us after speaking to Norwich dealer and Trying Autoebid.

We originally ordered a two tone T6 which got changed to a T6.1. We wanted our T6.1 in silver and blue, which you can get in Germany. I have been in contact with Monster Wraps who seem to have a good reputation. Whether a bottom, or top, half wrap you are looking at £1,250. So total cost is not much different to what VW are asking for a silver base coloured van plus whatever colour you want for bottom half. The T6.1 two tones, that you can order in Germany but not the UK, are mainly silver base van plus an overspray of the bottom.

Of course if you want a white top half then I think white is still a "free" colour so it will only be the £1,250 to wrap the bottom half.
Thanks very helpful info, we were thinking white top coloured bottom, wait to see what the VW colours look like, hard to tell from photos online

I have not used autoebid myself, but I did use Drive the Deal when i bought my A6 a few years ago. I assume autoebid are the same as DtD in that they are just an introduction agency. They will get a flat fee of a few hundred pounds after which you will liaise directly with the dealer and can sort out your final spec, financing etc. Or use the autoebid price, present to your local dealer, ask them to match/better it, if not take your £60k elsewhere! As per my previous post call Martin at Robinsons of Norwich for a very helpful dealer.

Yes they’re the same as Dtd and hook you up with VW Liverpool whom you pay: they then pay Autoebid.

Back