Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cab divider

Hi there. I’m at the research stage and going around in circles! I want to travel around Europe and I’ll be on my own so I want something small, able to be parked anywhere and go relatively unnoticed, so I’ve been looking at VW conversions versus VW Californias.

As a solo traveller a huge consideration for me is safety so I want to be as stealth as possible so that it’s not an obvious campervan when parked, putting all my belongings at risk, or if I’m not sleeping on a campsite, putting me at risk! Also my son in law is a Fireman and has attended many RTAs. It’s always stuck with me that he once said anything loose in a car is a potential missile in an accident and he’s witnessed fatal injuries from the smallest of items. Obviously furniture in the back would be fixed but I do wonder what would happen to it in an accident.

So the seemingly obvious answer is a converted VW Transporter panel van with a bulkhead. That would provide protection and privacy. However that would also mean that there would be no cab access from the back and should there be a problem I wouldn’t be able to jump in the drivers seat and make a quick get away. I expect it’s also a pain when it’s raining or cold but on the other hand there wouldn’t be any give away condensation in the cab.

So then I’m looking at VW vans without a bulkhead, conversions and Californias. The benefits are that if it was a panel van there would be light from the cab area. Whether a conversion or a California, a swivel front passenger seat would open up the area and also I’d have the all important cab access. However windscreen and passenger window blinds/covers would be a no-no for stealth camping so I’d have to find some way of dividing the cab from the back, perhaps with a thermal curtain. That would also hide the interior contents from view when parked. Anyone done this successfully with a professional installation? This however would provide absolutely no protection from the items in the back if there was an accident.

Anyone got any ideas, comments? Am I overthinking it?! My head is spinning and so I’d really welcome feedback from those with experience.
Many thanks :)
It’s worth having a look on YouTube for “wild she goes”. It’s an Italian lady who has travelled alone around The UK, Europe and further afield in a small converted van (albeit not a VW). It might give you some ideas and tips about travelling alone.

like you, I am a single female traveller and when I bought my van, the priority was that I could get things repaired throughout Europe if I had any issues en route. if anything breaks I can theoretically pop into aVW van centre and seek information, advice, action as necessary. I might be wrong, but I was concerned that repairs on a conversion might be more complicated.
i also share my van with my family and I was keen for them to have the same piece of mind.

Back