Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Question - before purchasing one.

I initially bought the single burner Cadac Safari Chef Pro with the quick release and added a pizza stone - found it was really good.
I have been using a spare 907 bottle But haven’t tried the smaller cylinders.
There were a number of times I wanted to use 2 burners, so I now use the Cadac 2-Cook as shown above, also using a 907 cylinder. Haven’t used the cooking plates it comes with as have been using ridge monkeys large and small, but have been really pleased with it.

LP Safari Chef 2 is £69 + bbqworld at the moment; seems like a decent price.

LP Safari Chef 2 is £69 *+ bbqworld at the moment; seems like a decent price.
Upgrade to the pro version:
Quick release male tail piece - £2.99 (not available from BBQWorld)
(2 male + 1 female tail piece - £10.40 from BBQWorld)
Flat griddle - £22.50 from BBQWorld
Pot lid - £9.99 from BBQWorld
Total £104.48
Or £111.89 all from BBQWorld

The Cadac website lists three versions of the Safari Chef: LP, HP and LP - lite

It says this about the LP lite:

The Safari Chef 2 LP works off any 2.8kPa supply. The Safari Chef 2 LP Lite is identical to the Safari Chef 2 LP. The only difference is that the flat plate is not included with the Safari chef 2 LP Lite.

It seems that some retailers throw in a cover or additional lid and suffix the product name with pro.

A cover can be bought for £6.40, a paella pan for £30, a pizza stone for £13.50.

Yes i too was confused by Cadac website, called them, (UK office) they explained that the website we are viewing is international and does not include the UK Pro QR version which has the integral qr valve (allowing legs to close properly) as well as the flat pan lid. she also said that if one drills holes in the legs to accommodate a valve, the product will not be covered by product g'tee

Yes i too was confused by Cadac website, called them, (UK office) they explained that the website we are viewing is international and does not include the UK Pro QR version which has the integral qr valve (allowing legs to close properly) as well as the flat pan lid. she also said that if one drills holes in the legs to accommodate a valve, the product will not be covered by product g'tee
If you look at Cadac's service website, the current 'Leisure Brochure 2019.pdf' shows the Safari Chef PRO QR model. This site also lists spare parts, guarantee, service, customer service info etc.

I can understand the warranty not covering a broken leg if you’ve drilled a hole in it, but it should still cover other components not affected by the hole - e.g. a failed burner.

Anyway, for the sake of £10, if I were buying again I’d probably pay the extra and go for the factory fitted QR. Have used our Safari Chef very extensively for three years, and never having used the flat grill or felt the need for a pan cover, I’m not sure that I’d want them if I were buying again.

Don’t expect the piezo ignition to last. We keep a gas lighter tucked into the folded base. Apart from the ignition, our Cadac has performed flawlessly over the years.

The ignition doesn’t work reliably and requires an external ignition source.
Better said - the ignition works NEVER!!! And yes we've tried all sorts of things, bending the arm a bit etc. There's a spark alright, it just doesn't ignite anything.

Reigniting is a nightmare due to the first issue!
It's easy - but you need some oven gloves or asbestos hands. Lift off everything, reignite and plonk it back on again. Works a treat.

But back to the OPs question, great piece of kit, we wouldn't be without ours.

It's easy - but you need some oven gloves or asbestos hands. Lift off everything, reignite and plonk it back on again. Works a treat.
I lift with tongs, slip the gas lighter inside and with a gentle pop explosion it reignites.

We have the Cadac Safari Chef 2 HP, which is the version that only works with threaded cartridges (EN417).

Probably the best purchase for the van we have made. It’s very neat, compact to store, easy to clean and, unlike some other HP owners, I think the gas is very controllable and easy to regulate the heat. The downside is that the cartridges can be quite expensive, so if you do a lot of camping it’s best looking for multipack deals or consider the LP.

Last summer we cooked as a family of four twice per day and we went through a 440g Coleman C500 cartridge every 3 to 4 days. The ferocity of the flame drops as the bottle empties, so it slows the cooking, but it depends what you are cooking. I’d say it boils a kettle in twice the time as the LP in the van, but no noticeable difference between cooking bacon, sausages or thin burgers etc.

Can’t comment on the LP as I’ve never tried one. However, personally we didn’t go with the LP because we didn’t fancy dragging around a spare campingaz bottle. Also once I’ve had a beer, the idea of faffing around with adaptors, regulators, pipes etc seemed like too much effort, so it suits me just screwing in a relatively small cartridge.

Whichever version you buy, I am sure you won’t regret it, as it’s a great bit of kit and has replaced our BBQ i.e. a steak butty on the griddle is what dreams are made of...unless you are a veggie!

Why not get one of these, way cheaper than a Cadac, add a frying pan and it does exactly the same job, smaller so takes up less space in the Cali, and gas refills are available from HomeBargains 4 for £4.

Campingaz Camp Bistro 2 Camping Stove, 1 Flame Portable Gas Cartridge Cooker, Runs on Campingaz CP 250 Cartridges, 2200 WW https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Y854WC/?tag=eliteelect-21
I’ve got a cadac but use this stove more then as we usually stay on sites I’ve got a double electric hot plate and find I use them more than the cadac (but it’s usually the 2 of us):thumb

Hi
Have checked out all I can find on here and You Tube re cooking to supplement the indoor hob in the Cali. (we have not yet got our vehicle, but anticipating the end of March). Agree with most that cooking smells inside to be avoided as much as poss, and like the look of the the Cadac Safari Chef 2 Pro, which is on sale at Amazon for £120. This looks like the best bet as there are only two of us. just a little confused about using gas supply. (complete beginners, we are)

Am I correct in thinking that this Cadac can be used in conjunction with either a CampingGaz 907 bottle (using hose and regulator) or with the smaller 500ml gas canisters that screw directly under the base of the Cadac? I note references to HP and LP in relation to gas supply but not sure if this is relevant and why. The 907 being LP? See that the Cadac is available as HP or LP but that the Pro can be used with both? can someone please explain to this novice before we purchase.

I think it would be handy to use the small screw in gas cannisters, as they are so lightweight, but wonder how much cooking time you get with them? Do most users carry a 907 just for the Cadac?
Yup ...you can buy two versions. We went for the screw in canister ..great bit of kit

Hi,
I need some idiot proof help. I just ordered a Safari Chef 2 QR but I have no clue about the gas bottles I can use. I read hear about the 904 and 901. Do I need the EN 417 regulator and hose for them? Or is that regulator just vor the smaller HP gas containers.
The one I ordered comes with QR - can I just attach this to the EN417?
To complicate matters I am often in Germany - do they have different gas (mixtures) and different pressure?
A minefield!
Please help.
Thanks !!

Not with the EN417, you can use 907, 904 & 901 with one of these regulators - https://www.towsure.com/regulator-suits-camping-gaz along with suitable hose & clamps to connect to your QR.

The EN417 is only for use with the small disposable cylinders, which I like for ease of carrying along, but they are more expensive and not so environmentally friendly... This regulator comes with hose ready to attach to your QR - https://www.towsure.com/cadac-gas-regulator-assembly-en417

Small disposables such as these fit the EN417 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01679T6QQ/?tag=eliteelect-21

You'd need a QR 'female' for each regulator hose if your using different gas supply types.

All the camping gas' should be suitable as each regulator regulates the bottle pressure to around 30mBar. Buy the 30mBar regulator that fits the gas bottle desired, then add 1m hose & your QR female, happy cooking...

edit - female for each regulator

Last edited:
Mart G - thanks for your quick reply with links attached !!!! Great

No problem... I do like the 417 with the small HP canisters as it's small and easy to carry (+spare), each cylinder seems to last us ages and they're available everywhere...
Have a shop round for the bits, Amazon is easy but probably not the cheapest.
Please post back here with recipes and pics of your cooks!

Hi
Does anybody know of European regulator adaptors and where to get them from?
cheers

I've had lots of cadacs over the years, but currently don't have one. I plan on buying the HP Safari Chef because I like the idea of the portability, with the cartridges screwing underneath.

Has anyone used one of these adaptors to then still have the option of attaching LP cylinders?

I know lots of folks have done this the other way around, converting the LP Safari Chef to HP cannisters, but this is the first time I've seen this particular adaptor.

Hi
Have checked out all I can find on here and You Tube re cooking to supplement the indoor hob in the Cali. (we have not yet got our vehicle, but anticipating the end of March). Agree with most that cooking smells inside to be avoided as much as poss, and like the look of the the Cadac Safari Chef 2 Pro, which is on sale at Amazon for £120. This looks like the best bet as there are only two of us. just a little confused about using gas supply. (complete beginners, we are)

Am I correct in thinking that this Cadac can be used in conjunction with either a CampingGaz 907 bottle (using hose and regulator) or with the smaller 500ml gas canisters that screw directly under the base of the Cadac? I note references to HP and LP in relation to gas supply but not sure if this is relevant and why. The 907 being LP? See that the Cadac is available as HP or LP but that the Pro can be used with both? can someone please explain to this novice before we purchase.

I think it would be handy to use the small screw in gas cannisters, as they are so lightweight, but wonder how much cooking time you get with them? Do most users carry a 907 just for the Cadac?
HI, I have a video review of the Cadac Safari chef 2 On my YouTube channel if its of interest...it is a great piece of kit !
click the link below to watch
Cadac Safari Chef 2 review
JT

Evening Cadac connoisseurs
As a result of all your reviews on a the cadac, I have bought a Cadac Safari 2 QR and an EN417 regulator with hose..... problem is, the Cadac has this sticking out the bottom...
5D70EF6B-610E-453C-BD9E-97998ECF13DE.jpeg
But the regulator has a nut like this on the end....
81C57B35-6DFF-467B-8C2E-CE8B6CF17EC0.png
Am I missing something here?

You needed the regulator with the quick release..they sell an adaptor you can put onto the hose with a jubilee clip

Thanks Paul

The Cadac came with a quick release thing but it looks like it is meant to be stuffed into a bit of pipe rather than onto the Female nut on the EN417.....

D040461D-9657-4DC0-93B9-654083539DFF.jpeg

You can cut the end of the hose with the nut off and then push that into the hose and use a hose clip