Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali’s and Toddlers!

will do , our worry was the baby getting too hot as it was such a lovely day.
I would say the heat downstairs feels much hotter than the heat upstairs, when you put your head up you can feel the contrast between the two so we are normally thinking our child is too cold!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brandrup inner Isotop, warmer, darker and always in place so no faffage

Hey. We picked up our first Cali just over a week ago and are heading off for our first night away this weekend. Excited! We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and I wondered if anyone has any tips on travelling and sleeping in a Cali with 2 young little treasures?! Thank you!

We've travelled in our T4 with our two kids ( 2 and 4 years old) for almost 6 months. The kids sleep together in the pop-up bed. They go to bed a bit later then they normally do at home.Most of the time they are more tired, because they have been outside all day. We normally put them to bed at the same time. They go up, we read them a story and they go to sleep. Sometimes they're awake for a short while before they fall asleep. No problem. We tell them not to touch the tent canvas AND we never give them anything (like toys, flashlight, etc) that could damage the tent.

The youngest normally sleeps during the day, when we are at home, but not always during our travels. Sometimes he sleeps well in teh afternoon in the camper when we put him in the pop-up roof, but sometimes he doesnt fall asleep. This has to do with the surrounding noise and the fact that it's less dark, but also because he falls asleep in the car sometimes during the day. We sort of just try and see whether or not he takes the afternoon nap.

Seat covers are a blessing. Before those, we wouldnt let them drink juice or things like that while in the van. Only water from their bottles.

Don't bring too many toys! We bring one 40L box with some toys and to be honest, most of the time they enjoy themselves with what's out in the nature. I must admit, lego, although easily lost, turned out to be great. Seated outside on a blanket, the lego is being played with every single day, for hours.

Don't bring too many toys! We bring one 40L box with some toys and to be honest, most of the time they enjoy themselves with what's out in the nature. I must admit, lego, although easily lost, turned out to be great. Seated outside on a blanket, the lego is being played with every single day, for hours.
One for Duplo/Lego! Our 1.5year son likes to play with these bricks and they are washable/durable and take up little space. Also great is a small ball to play.

Got this from a friend and try it today for the first time:
53227997387927342d259675ccd876ea.jpg

Deuter bag, it takes some space in the booth so hopefully worth it.

Last edited:
@MartinH and @Whitehouse_03 I am interested to know how your summer went in terms of trying the kids in the roof?
Did it work? Is it better? Do you miss the comfort of the upstairs mattress?
Sam

Hi Sam,

It worked out ok.

Getting them to sleep was a bit of a challenge some nights especially in some of the very hot weather in late July.

Generally we managed to get them to sleep by having child on each side and a parent reading stories, persuading them to lie back down etc. in the middle until they were pretty settled then climbing back down as carefully as possible while the other parent did the washing up. Most of the time we had peaceful evenings and a reasonable nights sleep.

The youngest in particular has a habit of waking up at sunrise, my wife is the lighter sleeper so managed to lift him down and put in the downstairs bed with us until a more acceptable hour (a bit of a squeeze) before he woke his sister

We found that the youngest 2.5 this summer was better off in a ‘gro bag’ sleeping bag rather than this children’s shark sleeping bag, mainly because he would wriggle out of the sleeping bag and could not get himself back in, whereas the gro bag stays on.

It was better to have them both up there rather than one up and one on the front seats. We’ve never slept in the upstairs bed in either this or the old van, with hindsight I’m not sure why we didn’t before the kids arrived, but putting them up in the roof now means that we can sit and relax in the warm in downstairs rather than being outside.

We have a memory foam mattress from our old van that we use on the downstairs bed which makes it comfy enough and fitted and a waterproof cover on the upstairs mattress.