Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Chair Comfort

What brand Borris? Do they still fit in the tailgate?
Sorry I can't remember. We're away at present pet sitting for our youngest daughter and her family so can't check.Two cats, two geckos and two tortoises and I don't remember being asked!

No they (the chairs), don't fit in the boot as they are pretty bulky. They were an impulse buy as we needed a couple in a hurry but weren't intended to be a permanent solution. We intended to relagate them to Mrs Bs car when we found two that fitted the bill. However, they've turned out to be really comfortabe. I'll to remember to post details later.

We have Helinox Sunset chairs bought as extra, but now we use them more than the original ones. You could probably fit 6 of them in the tailgate.

We have Helinox Sunset chairs bought as extra, but now we use them more than the original ones. You could probably fit 6 of them in the tailgate.
I have just taken my VW chairs out and replaced with two Helinox Sunset chairs with rocker feet. They don't fit in the tailgate but other things do, like the silver screen, two step stools and two Helinox One tables, there's space for more. They are the right height for sitting up to the VW table and have a head rest. We use the step stools as a foot rest.

If you guys are looking for another alternative, I have bought the Bo-Camp Copa Rio Classic, they have a lock mechanism, a bit taller, biggest advantage is that the front leg transverse piece is underneath the edge of the seat, not in front, making it way easier to stand up, as your feet will be in front of the transverse, allowing the chair to slide backward as you stand up. This is the huge PITA with the VW chairs. And if one gets broken or stolen it costs less than half than the original VW ones. Of course they fit in the tailgate , that was precondition number 1 when I've bought them.
And it saves you 2kg in total (2 chairs) behind the rear axle...
I've been using them so far for a total of 5 full weeks of camping, very happy with them, and my daughter isn't afraid of the chair folding underneath her as it did happen with the VW chairs.

https://www.obelink.de/bo-camp-copa-rio-classic-klappstuhl.html

1628147833874.png
1628148207471.png

Has anyone tried these as an alternative to the original cali chairs?

They look very similar including the horizontal bar the tailgate hook fastens to.

We carry two of these. Cheap, sturdy, take up very little space and enhance the loungeability of the chairs enormously!

71B90D6C-4F70-4EF0-9176-1A08101C34D6.jpeg

Has anyone tried these as an alternative to the original cali chairs?

They look very similar including the horizontal bar the tailgate hook fastens to.

Great option! Anyone tried these? Do they fit the tailgait storage bag? Does the clip also lock on the bar.

Great option! Anyone tried these? Do they fit the tailgait storage bag? Does the clip also lock on the bar.

I ended up buying these. They are a perfect fit once you take off the plastic feet. I even messaged Brunner who confirmed they would fit exactly. The hook also latches as the original does.

I ended up buying these. They are a perfect fit once you take off the plastic feet. I even messaged Brunner who confirmed they would fit exactly. The hook also latches as the original does.
Thanks @bobbybasic ! I Also messaged them, they only gave the dimensions, so your answer helps, I am also ordering them soon.

What is the advantage over the original chairs? They look very similar..

What is the advantage over the original chairs? They look very similar..
Cost. Much cheaper.

Mine tailgate panel install was a retrofit and I needed to source everything independently.

I like the black anodised metal and the fabric seems to be more padded. Maybe they’re a bit sturdier but I have no experience with the original chairs so cannot completely confirm this.

Back