Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chair broken

Here's all 4 of the parts all failed and failing in the same spot

20200814_135859.jpg

Mine broke in the same spot. Warranty swapped it. I believe you could get the part made out of aluminum to affect a permanent repair. Sure I saw this on the forum somewhere. Any small engineering company could make those parts on a lathe. We all want to keep the cali original that's why we get ripped off. If I was out of warranty I would look to getting some bits made to keep the original chairs. What about 3d printing?
Contact #BigTed on this forum or find him on facebook under Bigtedprintz. He's great at finding 3d print solutions for Cali problems. If you're a VIP member he'll give you discount as well.

Mine broke in the same spot. Warranty swapped it. I believe you could get the part made out of aluminum to affect a permanent repair. Sure I saw this on the forum somewhere. Any small engineering company could make those parts on a lathe. We all want to keep the cali original that's why we get ripped off. If I was out of warranty I would look to getting some bits made to keep the original chairs. What about 3d printing?

Like others I can fully recommend the parts supplied by Domi. These are perfectly engineered and come complete with all the instructions, fastenings/bolts etc. We happened to be in Germany when ours failed and near Stuttgart where Domi lives, he’s a really nice genuine guy. The originals will go eventually and are a design/material fault.

Like others I can fully recommend the parts supplied by Domi. These are perfectly engineered and come complete with all the instructions, fastenings/bolts etc. We happened to be in Germany when ours failed and near Stuttgart where Domi lives, he’s a really nice genuine guy. The originals will go eventually and are a design/material fault.
Mine are still ok after 11 years. Where is the design fault?

I think the pictures that flying banana posted show clearly the design / material fault. Mine were very similar. One joint failed completely and when I did the repair and also modified the other chair the remaining 3 joints were all well on their way to failure. Try taking yours apart and have a look!!!

I noticed the other day that one of my chairs has broken in the same place where the plastic insert goes into the front leg. I have a couple of questions
1. Can anyone comment on the longevity of their 3D printed replacements? I have the choice of printing or machining out of Aluminium. Printing is going to be cheaper and easier, but I don't want to go through all that only for it to break again at the same place.
2. Has anyone had the same parts in the rear legs break? I was thinking I'd replace all of the inserts in both chairs (8-parts), but if the rear ones never fail it may be wasted cost and effort.

Cheers
Matt

I noticed the other day that one of my chairs has broken in the same place where the plastic insert goes into the front leg. I have a couple of questions
1. Can anyone comment on the longevity of their 3D printed replacements? I have the choice of printing or machining out of Aluminium. Printing is going to be cheaper and easier, but I don't want to go through all that only for it to break again at the same place.
2. Has anyone had the same parts in the rear legs break? I was thinking I'd replace all of the inserts in both chairs (8-parts), but if the rear ones never fail it may be wasted cost and effort.

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt,

1. 3D print or Aluminium - I went aluminium, but the longevity of the part will also depend on the material that you use for 3d printing. The original part is just cheap plastic and that is why it breaks. If you use ABS plastic to 3D print, it should last longer due to the inherent flex in ABS. If I had a 3d print option, I would print a few and keep handy.

2. Yes, prone to breaking, but much less than the front ones. Try with the ABS ones for both, but machines Alu ones, though more costly will outlast the chair.

Cheers,

By the way. My copper pipe repair is still holding strong 2 years and lots of use later.

posting this to help @flying banana
(Probably not back from the Pub yet :rolleyes:)

Post #90 onwards

neat Job :thumb

You were all correct about me not taking this pic after the pub. Done it this morning packing uo. So here you go. I do keep meaning to get some proper ones made but this works fine

20220803_095552.jpg

Looks like one of your chairs has broken (pop rivet) on the cross bar in that picture, which was actually the issue that triggered this thread originally!!

Looks like one of your chairs has broken (pop rivet) on the cross bar in that picture, which was actually the issue that triggered this thread originally!!
Well spotted. I have since replaced that rivet too. The old one is still rattling about in the chair somewhere

Just finished repairing (upgrading!) my chairs. I decided to go with Alu and do all the inserts on both chairs (8 parts). The only time consuming bit was grinding the nuts and the head of the bolts (used to replace the cold rivet) down to fit inside the plastic armrest, since I didn't have anything suitably flat headed to hand!

All 8 of the removed parts were cracked. Given that the OEM part has a flat and is being pop riveted to a curved surface I'm not really surprised!

I think the inserts will now outlast the chair!!!

IMG_0032[2].JPG

IMG_0031[1].JPG

IMG_0033[1].JPG

IMG_0034[1].JPG

Last edited:
Just finished repairing (upgrading!) my chairs. I decided to go with Alu and do all the inserts on both chairs (8 parts). The only time consuming bit was grinding the nuts and the head of the bolts (used to replace the cold rivet) down to fit inside the plastic armrest, since I didn't have anything suitably flat headed to hand!

All 8 of the removed parts were cracked. Given that the OEM part has a flat and is being pop riveted to a curved surface I'm not really surprised!

View attachment 97877

View attachment 97878

View attachment 97879

View attachment 97880
Very nicely done. Don't we love a well machined piece ... a work of art!

View attachment 97877

View attachment 97878

View attachment 97879

View attachment 97880
Marvellous.
Can I order 8 please?

Marvellous.
Can I order 8 please?
Hmmm. Not economically viable for mass production I think. They didn't need the machining at the top to match the OEM ones, but it made them pretty! For the amount of time and material I actually think the other Alu' ones on here from the guy in Germany are pretty good value for c.£30

Hmmm. Not economically viable for mass production I think. They didn't need the machining at the top to match the OEM ones, but it made them pretty! For the amount of time and material I actually think the other Alu' ones on here from the guy in Germany are pretty good value for c.£30
Yes, I expected that, understood.
Unfortunately @domiT6 hasn't been seen since May 19, 2020.
@Bigted how are your 3D printed versions faring?

I had the same problem whilst in Spain last month. Following a recommendation from @MarkG I popped into this place in the way home and bought this :

I’ve just fitted it now, the trickiest bit was removing the plastic hinge in the armrest but once that was done the rest was a doddle.

Im happy with the part, it seems to be good quality and is much better than the original.

E37C36DF-9141-4948-9220-78F8F977766C.jpeg9045A8A3-835E-400D-A8C2-D23998E28388.jpeg

Last edited:
Back