Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali conversation starter

vananarama

vananarama

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I always like a van chat. This morning, for once, I was not the instigator of said chat – a man called Martin was eyeing up the Cali outside the Co-op. “I used to have a red Cali,” he said. “They’re the best.” Turned out Martin follows me on social media. A nice start to the day.

Anyway, this is the second chat I’ve had about the van when returning to the van this week. Do you find they’re great for meeting and chatting to strangers, with no other real purpose than passing the time of day and generally making the world a little smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have certainly found that to be the case, although I've been the one approaching owners in car parks or wherever, to chat and pick their brains. We pick up our first Cali in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll get to switch roles for a change. I'll remember this thread when it happens.

I always like a van chat. This morning, for once, I was not the instigator of said chat – a man called Martin was eyeing up the Cali outside the Co-op. “I used to have a red Cali,” he said. “They’re the best.” Turned out Martin follows me on social media. A nice start to the day.

Anyway, this is the second chat I’ve had about the van when returning to the van this week. Do you find they’re great for meeting and chatting to strangers, with no other real purpose than passing the time of day and generally making the world a little smaller?

Yes we’ve had a few people approach us both admiring the van and also a couple of times people have asked if they could look inside. Likewise we have admired vans and spoken to the owners.

What??? the roof lifts up?
Fridge, sink and cooker? Oh wow.
I might get one of them.

Yeah right.
The concept has only been around since Adam was a nipper and just
because you've seen mine here whilst I fill the tank and get a choc ice
you want one.

I have been asked if I am a plumber.
I always gets asked if I’m a plumber. A shake of the head and no I’m a gas engineer is my response followed by plumbers are just gas engineers with there heads kicked in

Normally I get " we would love one of these" then " I guess they are about £30k new"
Yeah. I tell them the basic Panel Van is about £30,000, you know the one with no windows behind the driver, 2 seats and steel wheels. ;)

I have been asked if I am a plumber.
I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but back before the days when I learnt about T5 campervans, I thought any California was a plumbers van with the awning being a case to hold copper pipes securely.

I get a lot a people trying to identify the flags along our van.

The two which stump most people are Gibraltar and Estonia.

1624608795912.png

Indeed the flags on the back of our van are a real conversation starter. With us, usually Liechtenstein, San Marino and the Faeroer are quizzing people.

England flag @Amarillo but no Scotland or Wales (or indeed Cornwall).
Outrageous!

Wales is now on there now. But still no Scotland, NI OR RoI (and no Cornwall; Catalonia nearly made it on, we were there soon after Independence was declared, but the day before we crossed the border Madrid quashed the independence declaration; Amarillo was barred entry at the gates of the Vatican, so that flag remains off the van.)

The two which stump most people are Gibraltar and Estonia.

View attachment 80595
Nice. You not been to Wales then?
...Is it just the one moose you've hit so far? ;-)
Final thing – reddish discolouration of the awning rail. An issue for you? I have it too.

I have certainly found that to be the case, although I've been the one approaching owners in car parks or wherever, to chat and pick their brains. We pick up our first Cali in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll get to switch roles for a change. I'll remember this thread when it happens.
Oh I do my fair share of instigating still! Enjoy the new van. Just back from a couple of (damp) nights in Pembrokeshire in ours – such fun!

Final thing – reddish discolouration of the awning rail. An issue for you? I have it too.

We now have 10 more flags on the van - Romania, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Austria, Slovakia, Czechia & Wales.

31 counties or territories sandwiched between England and Wales.

Someone came up to me in a Mountian bike trail centre car park saying, I’ve got a bit of campervan envy. Bill? Dave? turned out to be an old friend I hadn’t seen for well over a decade. Happy days!

Back