Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Dogs

Looking on youtube I found this video (created from photos in free software at animoto.com). Turn your sound on, it has a cool backing track.

Jack passed away before we got the Cali but the younger Barney is now nearly 12 and has loved the Cali from day one. Jack did though choose our last campervan (Toyota Hiace). When we went to look at it he wouldn't get out (he was very wise). Then when I said to the salesman, "Yes, I think this will do us just fine" he jumped out and sat by my feet. How about that for a good omen.

Jack and Barney had many happy travels together and when we first went camping without Jack Barney hated going for a walk from the van (as if we were leaving Jack behind). Here's a little snapshot of them together.

Last edited:
Greyhound or whippet? It's difficult to get a sense of his/her size from the photos. Gorgeous anyway!

Ready for 40 winks after a long paw patrol

View attachment 65342
Barney with Marshall from Paw Patrol at the PDSA festival in a day, Cheltenham racecourse A couple of years ago. We stayed at the caravan club site at the racecourse. Great day and Kaiser Cheifs concert in the evening. Don’t think they have plans for another though.

62898DAC-DAD3-4356-BB18-C9F01BF4FA01.jpeg

Passenger seat facing forward. This is Barney’s sleep and chill out zone (when he’s not trying to muscle in on the bench seat). Two cot quilts: one to protect the door and dash and keep the draughts out, the other to snuggle in to.

DF5453A2-CD9E-4AF5-AF3E-2E02568B99DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadness has descended upon our home. Our beloved Thandi is in end stage liver failure. She went off her food 3 weeks ago, but was otherwise quite well until a few days ago. Today we’re saying our tear filled goodbyes.
If the lurgy ever lets us go camping again, I will miss waking in the morning pinned up against the side by a spread eagle Labrador who snuck onto the bed during the night.
I figured those who venture onto this thread will understand.
We have had so many great trips in the Cali over the years and no doubt in time they’ll become fond memories.EDB272C9-1D61-402C-9E1D-5B7792BA810C.jpeg

Awh, can totally relate to what you are going through, it's heartbreaking, sleep well little Thandi x

Sadness has descended upon our home. Our beloved Thandi is in end stage liver failure. She went off her food 3 weeks ago, but was otherwise quite well until a few days ago. Today we’re saying our tear filled goodbyes.
If the lurgy ever lets us go camping again, I will miss waking in the morning pinned up against the side by a spread eagle Labrador who snuck onto the bed during the night.
I figured those who venture onto this thread will understand.
We have had so many great trips in the Cali over the years and no doubt in time they’ll become fond memories.View attachment 68794
[/QUOTE
So very sorry to hear this it’s heartbreaking to lose a much loved dog. Yes in time you will be able to fondly recall your adventures but right now the total sadness just engulfs you. She looks a beautiful girl how old?

Remember them.
For they have wings to fly now.
And though they are free, they never leave your heart.
For they are bound to you, even unto death, by a golden thread called love that will never break.

Sleep well, fly high Thandi.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Yes, a truly beautiful girl. She was 12 in June. Still a puppy at heart though. All so sudden. I’m not ready for this.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Yes, a truly beautiful girl. She was 12 in June. Still a puppy at heart though. All so sudden. I’m not ready for this.
She’ll never be gone from your heart. The pain will lessen over time but a bit of her will always be with you.

Back