Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali every day?

We had a 2017 Discovery Sport, which we sold in March for a new 19 Ocean dsg. Which I find very little difference in the quality of the drive. Main issue is mpg on lots of small journeys, but a small price to pay for the enjoyment and flexibility the van brings
We had a high spec Landcruiser, lovely vehicle, which we sold to part finance the Cali. was sad to see it go, but the Cali gives us so many more options, no regrets :)

I had an old Nissan estate which I kept when I bought my SE (earlier designation of Ocean) as I thought it would be a useful workhorse. Soon moved it on as the Cali does everything I want and is a pleasure to drive.

Good evening,

We had a Tiguan from 2012 until 2017 when we traded it in for the van. The van is my transport to get to work, shopping etc. So far I haven't seen any disadvantages, beside the height of the van. I will use only car parks with a height of 2.1 m, which are not that many in Dublin. Also on some sites of interests (e.g. castles) there might be a height restriction of under 2 m (which is really annoying).

Beside that the van handles very well from motorway to the smallest country roads. I love the seating position and the height of the seat, meaning I can look over many hedges :).

At the beginning I had a bit of trouble with the insurance broker, they did not get it that the camper is my main transport and I paid a good bit more on insurance. But that has changed now.

Regards,
Eberhard

We have a (non-Cali) LWB T5 van, and an older electric car. We do all our normal daily driving using electrons, and use the van on longer trips. It’s a great combination for us, and of course nicer for the environment and very cost-efficient when it comes to fuel, but our van is marginally less car-like than the Cali.

I think if I could get a plug-in hybrid California it would be the perfect all-in-one vehicle :)

I dont drive my cali as a daily and certainly I can see vs a 4x4 of some description its fine. However I know some on here including me are shall we say also enthusiast drivers and for that im afraid the cali doesnt remotely tick the box.
So if i wasnt into cars I would happily drive it as an only vehicle but for me i need another sweet handling fix. I cant see me not having something to satisfy the itch until society dictates otherwise- current scratch is a Boxster and motorbike.

I dont drive my cali as a daily and certainly I can see vs a 4x4 of some description its fine. However I know some on here including me are shall we say also enthusiast drivers and for that im afraid the cali doesnt remotely tick the box.
So if i wasnt into cars I would happily drive it as an only vehicle but for me i need another sweet handling fix. I cant see me not having something to satisfy the itch until society dictates otherwise- current scratch is a Boxster and motorbike.
I'm with you 100%. I find the Cali "gutless" at best. Just as well it's not my only vehicle

Hello all...first post!

I currently drive a LR Discover 5 3l. I love it but I’ve decided I really want a California. I do about 12k miles/yr. I’ll be using it for weekends away with kids (6&10) camping in Cornwall, day trips to Wales and hopefully lots of other adventures. What I can’t decide, is do I get a California & a small car for commute/work miles or just get the camper? My total budget (value of disco) will be about £45-50k. I could get a nice £30-35k used beach and spend £10k on a golf or get an ocean for £45-50 but would have to use it for everything. 2 cars = 2 insurance, tax and depreciation but if I’m sticking 12k m/yr on an ocean is that just wrong on such a nice vehicle!? Plus am I going to want to drive a California to work, school etc etc
As you can tell I’m also in 2 minds about beach vs ocean. This is my first camper. Only will be 3 of us sleeping in it. Is the ocean much different to drive with all the kitchen etc in it?? Thanks in advance Rob
Definitely spend the whole lot on a Cali.

They don't depreciate that quickly and it will almost certainly end up being the cheaper option long term. Don't worry about the mileage. It's basically a tool so use it. It will be no use to you sitting idol outside your house. Anyway, the Cali is based on a van that's designed to do the sort of galactic mileage that you are never likely to get anywhere near. As long as it's regularly serviced according to the manufacturers instructions, I'm sure it will prove to be one of your best purchases ever.

Your Beach verses Ocean dilemma is your main issue and only you can answer that question. Just look at your likely projected long term useage and don't be swayed by the allure of the slick Ocean package. You can do all of the same sorts of things in both vehicles but the Beach offers more flexibility to carry up to seven persons with much more room available. What ever you end up with will have to meet all of your long term needs with as few compromises as possible.

Good luck.

We're ditching our Audi Q3 for a Cali Ocean. A neighbour inspired us. He has a Toyota conversion, much smaller than the Cali. And he has a wife and two kids. They use it as their main and only transport. And it works. We live in the city though, so don't need two cars – let alone a car at all, really. Good luck!

My dilema is different... Do I need my Cali AND a house? I have been living in the Cali with a friend for 2 months and am quite happy to carry on doing that. Never mind another vehicle... Do I need a house?

My dilema is different... Do I need my Cali AND a house? I have been living in the Cali with a friend for 2 months and am quite happy to carry on doing that. Never mind another vehicle... Do I need a house?
Yes.

We lived in our Cali as a family of four for just over a year. We needed the rental income from our house so we could pay for diesel, food and campsites.

I've been through this. I just use my cali all the time. Got rid of the car. It's good to use them rather than sit them down for weeks at a time. If I was to get a car as well I would spend more on the van and get an old diesel golf or BMW for about 4 grand. Welcome. And good luck. More on the van. Less on the car. That's me.
Use mine for daily drive and adventures. Also have an oap’s bus pass which keeps travel costs down.

Hi Robo as with others I’m a convert as I Sold a 3 series BMW for an Ocean and an e-bike. Any trip under 4 miles i go by bike (live in the Surrey Hills so e-bike is a joy) anything longer or the weekly shop take the Ocean. Does everything i need and more. Good luck and enjoy.