Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali-killers....

Surely a "Cali Killer" should be no more than 2m high, 5m long and 2m wide.
Any vehicle that is larger is not a competitor to a VW California.
So a Caddy California is a competitor while the Grand California is not.

I agree & for it to be a Cali Killer it would have to be better in some measurable way, perhaps a roof that didn't sag, half the price, electric with a 500 mile range or the like.

well, that would be the end of the thread, as there's so far only the Caddy as you mentioned (which is a joke) and the MP. Maybe the Nugget city.
But I agree, 5m long and 2m high are the key advantages of this category of campervans. Any bigger, not a competitor.

I would consider a LWB California the best competitor to the California.

With the holy grail of a layout that allows for hot water, toilet/shower AND a large boot.

We had thought at the Kepler One but then we're very happy NOT to have fallen for it because the most useful feature of our Cali - in our hybrid use for it - has been its boot space (fragmented storage is useless to us).

I think the post was started as more of a tongue in cheek sort of thing, to show off the unusual beasts out there.

I would consider a LWB California the best competitor to the California.

With the holy grail of a layout that allows for hot water, toilet/shower AND a large boot.

We had thought at the Kepler One but then we're very happy NOT to have fallen for it because the most useful feature of our Cali - in our hybrid use for it - has been its boot space (fragmented storage is useless to us).
It does exist already for a long time, it is named Westfalia Joker....although it may have "fragmented" storage...

I like the Tonke. The kitchen is very clever and there’s also 2 sliding doors.
But no "double" glazed windows in the lounging area, no standard heating, no double sided aluminum storage lockers, 2 sliding doors only if you choose that for the donating transporter which is extra, no sound isolation, cracking and rattling noises from the cupboards on other than high way roads just to name a few differences. To be clear, I compare the Tone with a T5SE or T6 Ocean...because with the necessary options it comes almost to the same price (with a new T6 donation ((LWB) transporter van) in the Netherlands. In our country a campervan needs to have certain options like a mounted cooking possibility (kitchenette) of 60 cm's hight, a washing/water base etc. to be administered as a camper(van).

So for me this is not a killer...but it is still a neat design

The biggest Cali killer could be the new Cali, if it’s a based on VW/Ford Transit built in Turkey. “Cali Killer” as in nobody will want one.

Isn’t that the current plan still? A VW/Ford new Transporter/Transit?

It does exist already for a long time, it is named Westfalia Joker....although it may have "fragmented" storage...
Before getting the Cali, we had a look at Westfalia Kepler One and Joker City and Hightop.
The Joker hightop is nice but of course it's high and the boot is minimal.
The large boot is what I now think of essential for a multi purpose vehicle.
For us, fragmented storage is a no-no

Before getting the Cali, we had a look at Westfalia Kepler One and Joker City and Hightop.
The Joker hightop is nice but of course it's high and the boot is minimal.
The large boot is what I now think of essential for a multi purpose vehicle.
For us, fragmented storage is a no-no
I love the Kepler One too, but I can't understand why they didn't store two chairs for outdoors on the tailgate like the Cali. Maybe VW has still a patent on it ? Also a table for outdoors is missing, as in the sliding door there is the inside table, which has no legs.
There is plenty of useful small storage, easily accessible and easy to use, but you can't store big items. Where are you going to fit the leveling ramps? Where the outside table+chairs? Drive away awning, outdoor carpet, kids beach toys, possibly a beach trolley?
You would have to store all of it inside in front of the toilet or living area, in this way negating the very advantage the Kepler 6 has, while en-route using the toilet preparing a meal, eat inside in inclement weather. Once at destination you have to offload all this stuff somewhere outside in order to use anything inside, including the poptop bed as you access it from the rear.
With the Cali everything is in the boot, fully loaded you can still cook, access the fridge, the bed upstairs and the table inside as well as the one outside +chairs.
The more I look for Cali Killers, alternatives, the more I realise I still have the best vehicle.

I love the Kepler One too, but I can't understand why they didn't store two chairs for outdoors on the tailgate like the Cali. Maybe VW has still a patent on it ? Also a table for outdoors is missing, as in the sliding door there is the inside table, which has no legs.
There is plenty of useful small storage, easily accessible and easy to use, but you can't store big items. Where are you going to fit the leveling ramps? Where the outside table+chairs? Drive away awning, outdoor carpet, kids beach toys, possibly a beach trolley?
You would have to store all of it inside in front of the toilet or living area, in this way negating the very advantage the Kepler 6 has, while en-route using the toilet preparing a meal, eat inside in inclement weather. Once at destination you have to offload all this stuff somewhere outside in order to use anything inside, including the poptop bed as you access it from the rear.
With the Cali everything is in the boot, fully loaded you can still cook, access the fridge, the bed upstairs and the table inside as well as the one outside +chairs.
The more I look for Cali Killers, alternatives, the more I realise I still have the best vehicle.
This is why I can never understand why VW didn't continue with the Exclusive, it does all the points above with ease. I've found compared to my pop top VW the storage is so much bigger and more easily accessible, so I don't have to go "in the boot' and large items such as the Awning (which I need less and less with the longer better laid out van), matt etc are stored behind a locked toilet door when travelling at the rear of the van. Bedding can all be stored on the top bed with ease (for 4 people), Chairs etc all under the main seat, ramps in the rear garage locker... And then I can stand up still and make a cuppa with all beds in place..whilst having access to everything at eye level and having the worktop at the correct standing height, rather than stooped over...oh and 6'7" of standing room front to back.

The only issue being 2.7M tall..but then again in 6 years of owning my PopTop T5 i only once entered a 2M barrier car park...so that issue isn't an issue for me personally.

Here's another coming: electric campervan from Germany, for 2 people, all-wheel drive, even an off-road variant, and with a range of up to 600 km... Price point of € 32 k...

Interior_Camper_Sleeping_Position.png

This is why I can never understand why VW didn't continue with the Exclusive, it does all the points above with ease. I've found compared to my pop top VW the storage is so much bigger and more easily accessible, so I don't have to go "in the boot' and large items such as the Awning (which I need less and less with the longer better laid out van), matt etc are stored behind a locked toilet door when travelling at the rear of the van. Bedding can all be stored on the top bed with ease (for 4 people), Chairs etc all under the main seat, ramps in the rear garage locker... And then I can stand up still and make a cuppa with all beds in place..whilst having access to everything at eye level and having the worktop at the correct standing height, rather than stooped over...oh and 6'7" of standing room front to back.

The only issue being 2.7M tall..but then again in 6 years of owning my PopTop T5 i only once entered a 2M barrier car park...so that issue isn't an issue for me personally.
All your points are valid, but the key point here for a "Cali killer" is remaining below 2m high...

The 2m barrier becomes a big issue when using the campervan also as an everyday car. Which is what makes the Cali so versatile.
On the other hand, length is rarely a problem. If it was LWB-based it could be better still ?

All your points are valid, but the key point here for a "Cali killer" is remaining below 2m high...
Who says?
The OP‘s original post actually offered an example that was well over 2m.
The 2m height is certainly a factor but just one of many.

Who says?
The OP‘s original post actually offered an example that was well over 2m.
The 2m height is certainly a factor but just one of many.
I don't think that the 2m high is one factor of many. I think it is its Unique Selling Point. True the OP referenced a bigger van, but the thread has in 3,5years also evolved.
Nobody likes a o pop top roof. I think 99% of Cali owners would rather have a fixed roof. But the pop top is the only way to achieve 4 berths , standing high and remain below 2m high.

I don't think that the 2m high is one factor of many. I think it is its Unique Selling Point. True the OP referenced a bigger van, but the thread has in 3,5years also evolved.
Nobody likes a o pop top roof. I think 99% of Cali owners would rather have a fixed roof. But the pop top is the only way to achieve 4 berths , standing high and remain below 2m high.
If they put this on a Cali, I think it will become a Cali Killer. This makes for so much more usable space. Combine taht will a LWB and we may have a Cali Killer.

1665049965096.png

Not sure who came up with the idea of a popup slanting roof!