Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Theft Prevention

Feels like it's a balance but Golf R owners and cars like them have found a gang in the bed room wanting the code for the ghost. California must be targeted less as they are more distinctive over a std VW transport conversion.
I'd be interest in more information about this, particularly how the gangs know that a ghost has been fitted. Even when the vehicle refuses to start there is nothing to indicate that this is due to a Ghost.

Why is it that when ever this subject comes up many only seem to consider theft of the vehicle when outside their home? IMHO if that is where the Cali is most of the time then it might be worth considering whether it's actually needed, it is after all a considerable investment.
It is when travelling that the consequences of loosing the vehicle are greatest. It is then that the value of the contents and reliance on the vehicle are at their highest, particularly if thousands of miles away from home, (where decent insurance wont help with the immediate issues).
Fortunately the Cali is one of the most secure vehicles. Like any vehicle it s vulnerable to brute force entry but its strength is the need for the physical key to start. This is also its Achilles heel but it's a gap that can be closed by adding a Ghost Immobiliser.
I’m asking this because it lives on my drive at night and quite a bit during the day. In my area we have had a lot of camper van thefts in my area from outside people’s houses so it’s a worthwhile question to ask. At other times it lives in a secure car park where I’d happily leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition and not be concerned at all. I really don’t understand what you mean about considering whether it’s worth having a Cali at all…because it spends more than 50% of its time outside my house, which is where I live… Where else should I be parking it if not outside my own house? Or are you suggesting that if I don’t spend most of my time travelling then I shouldn’t have one? I wish I could spend most of my time travelling, but unfortunately I have to work too.

I’m asking this because it lives on my drive at night and quite a bit during the day. In my area we have had a lot of camper van thefts in my area from outside people’s houses so it’s a worthwhile question to ask. At other times it lives in a secure car park where I’d happily leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition and not be concerned at all. I really don’t understand what you mean about considering whether it’s worth having a Cali at all…because it spends more than 50% of its time outside my house, which is where I live… Where else should I be parking it if not outside my own house? Or are you suggesting that if I don’t spend most of my time travelling then I shouldn’t have one? I wish I could spend most of my time travelling, but unfortunately I have to work too.
Yeah work does tend to kill the fun of ownership. I'm looking forward to full-time retirement in 2-3 years. In the meantime I'll be enjoying my extended trips to France and beyond thanks to the 30 working days vacation plus National Holidays per year. Off to the Harz mountains next weekend which about a 90 min drive south of me for some hiking and wild camping.

Yeah work does tend to kill the fun of ownership. I'm looking forward to full-time retirement in 2-3 years.
Haha, I'd say that work tends to kill the fun of most things (except work!). I know it's an old cliché but since retiring I do wonder how I ever found time to do anything! :D

Never bothered. Better off having decent insurance.

We have a ring cam on the drive, apple tag hidden in the van. Have footage of a couple of guys trying to steal the charging cable from our EV, took them 10 seconds to unlock the car using some scanning device. Police caught them 20mins later. They had no interest in the Cali.

Just remember to lock your van when left unattended so that the immobiliser activates, even when at a campsite.

If they really wanted it they would most probably smash your front door in, grab one of your family & demand the keys.
But such trash will get more than they might bargain for if they broke into my home!.

I’m after a bit of advice. The area I live in is generally low crime, however, there have been some camper-van thefts over the years. As I have a new T6.1 incoming I’d like to know what people thinking are the best security measures to put in place to protect your Cali from theft? Apologies if this has been discussed before. I’ve run a search and couldn’t find what I was looking for. Thanks!
When I leave the cali for any extended period (more than 12 hrs) I turn the front seats around . Turning the drivers seat is a real bugger and some numpty theft will make a load of noise and attract unwanted attention trying to turn it round again, then they have to tackle the steering lock. That would wake up my neighbour and he doesn't like being woken up (if you know what I mean!)

I’m after a bit of advice. The area I live in is generally low crime, however, there have been some camper-van thefts over the years. As I have a new T6.1 incoming I’d like to know what people thinking are the best security measures to put in place to protect your Cali from theft? Apologies if this has been discussed before. I’ve run a search and couldn’t find what I was looking for. Thanks!
I have used a steering wheel lock which looks like a mission to get off…. Obviously you could also rotate the drivers seat…..

I have also installed an apple air tag hidden away in the van to track it a little ….

I will own also T6.1 next week :)
As electronic engineer, i will do some things to make it not easy to take my van..
* first thitronik van alarm (german brand, for campers)
* important; block your OBD port (OBD blocker or make switch to cut off can-bus on that port.
* i use the steering wheel lock
* the anti theft bar to prevent they come in trought the sliding glass + kitchen .. (german made)
* lock inside the sliding door by blocking him simple way, also front doors..
.. These are the things i wil do..
i wish you very nice times in your bulli, greetings from belgium :))

I will own also T6.1 next week :)
As electronic engineer, i will do some things to make it not easy to take my van..
* first thitronik van alarm (german brand, for campers)
* important; block your OBD port (OBD blocker or make switch to cut off can-bus on that port.
* i use the steering wheel lock
* the anti theft bar to prevent they come in trought the sliding glass + kitchen .. (german made)
* lock inside the sliding door by blocking him simple way, also front doors..
.. These are the things i wil do..
i wish you very nice times in your bulli, greetings from belgium :))
Can anyone recommend a good and compatible OBD blocker/protector for UK purchase?

I'd be interest in more information about this, particularly how the gangs know that a ghost has been fitted. Even when the vehicle refuses to start there is nothing to indicate that this is due to a Ghost.
I feel you have answered your question, if they have the keys and its a fairly new van or they have followed it /‘tracked to home address its fair to assume its a ghost or similar. Depends how much they want it, given the insurance is low, i assume theres not many stolen and numbers must be small compared to transport conversions so harder get rid of as parts are distinctive.

When you say you’ve avoided trackers, I’m assuming that you’ve not signed up for an insurance that specifies having a tracker fitted?
The insurance companies I rang told me not to bother as they had no effect on the rate.

All I heard was Gang, Bedroom, code ;) :D:bananadance2:upsidedown:bananadance2
Hi, i am new here on the forum..
Nice to meet you guys,
Next week my T6,1 will be delivered to me, exiting :)
What i do against theft:
* Thitronik van alarm (i selected this brand/model checked out a lot in you tube..)
* OBD blocker (very important, prevent thief to code new key and beep beep they go, bye bye cali..))
* Steering wheel lock
* some small things like blocking slide door and doors when you're inside..
* some luck..

Grtz from Belgium,

Now i find out the right place to write a reply :))

Nice to meet you guys,
What i do against theft:
* Thitronik van alarm (i selected this brand/model checked out a lot in you tube..)
* OBD blocker (very important, prevent thief to code new key and beep beep they go, bye bye cali..))
* Steering wheel lock
* some luck..

Grtz from Belgium,

Nice to meet you guys,
What i do against theft:
* Steering wheel lock
* some luck..

Grtz from Belgium,
Easier to install a ghost, than all that palaver…. :thumb ;)

Can anyone recommend a good and compatible OBD blocker/protector for UK purchase?
On a Dutch VW transporter forum VW (weetjewel.nl) there was a transporter owner who constructed a fake OBD plug with 220 V on it while parked on his drive way....that would blow up every laptop/IPAD/smartphone that would be plugged in. :cool:. How it exactly worked he would not share on the internet for obvious reasons....which I should have realized before giving my precautions away some posts ago...;)

I was looking at this, you can get a dummy obd port or a dummy with a relocated obd. There is one with a siren as well. My mate has the reloctor one with a tracker off Amazon £50, hidden under the dash. Not a Cali though. It uses a giffgaff type payg sim, so no contract, very little data usage.

Think i saw something on the forum that said obd coding hack can't be used on the Cali as its got a proper key. I was just looking at the possibility of hiding a tracker. You can put alerts on the software (phone app)

Phil

Screenshot_20230402_233854_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402_234135_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
I feel you have answered your question, if they have the keys and its a fairly new van or they have followed it /‘tracked to home address its fair to assume its a ghost or similar. Depends how much they want it, given the insurance is low, i assume theres not many stolen and numbers must be small compared to transport conversions so harder get rid of as parts are distinctive.
OK I understand now. First they somehow managed to get the keys, possibly by breaking into the house without disturbing anyone. Then they tried to start the vehicle. They then came to the conclusion that there was an immobiliser fitted; after all why else would a vehicle refuse to start? They then returned to the house, looked around all the rooms until they located the owner of the vehicle, again without disturbing anyone, and then threatened them to get the code. Presumably they then somehow silenced the owner to prevent them from calling the police for enough time to get the van to a secure location.
I guess that if they didn't already have them, they would also have no qualms about threatening the owner for the keys should they be locked away in a faraday key safe or whatever.

My response was not really aimed at your OP but at the many responses that focused on home security. My opinion is that security is more of an issue when travelling than it is when at home for the reasons given. I stand by by view that the amount of likely travel/nights away is a consideration when deciding if a Cali is worthwhile, but it is just one of many considerations and is not the same as suggesting that you or anyone else shouldn't have one. Quite frankly, for us bargain hunters, the more people that buy them and then sell them a few years later with less than 5000 miles/year on the clock the better, (which, for the clarity, is not to say that you might be one of those..

Going to see if a cut out isolation switch is an option. this would apply
to those with smart keys.

..two times they broke into my camper..then wise man don't believe in help of ghosts anymore..give me that palaver ;-).. i pray for your ghost
My ghost isn’t of the spiritual kind. :Nailbiting
It’s from AutoWatch

Has this thread deliberately now become tell us the weirdest and most fantastical way to secure your Cali instead of securing your key?

Given how wild the answers have become I can only guess we are being trolled now…

I’m off to remove my engine on a nightly basis while superglueing all four wheels to the ground.

<tongue only half in cheek>

The key for my Cupra switches off if it hasn’t moved for a couple of minutes, no need for tin boxes etc.

Has this thread deliberately now become tell us the weirdest and most fantastical way to secure your Cali instead of securing your key?

Given how wild the answers have become I can only guess we are being trolled now…

I’m off to remove my engine on a nightly basis while superglueing all four wheels to the ground.

<tongue only half in cheek>
Now you’re just being silly ;) :D:D:D