Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Theft Prevention

I would take the view of make it physically awkward as once they can see the obstacles, they're more likely to abandon it because even with a gun to the owner's head, it's still going to take time to get it out. Layers of different types of security will make life harder for a prospective thief. I'd say it's fairly unlikely for a Cali to be targeted by a random opportunist as unless you know about them, you'd probably not realise their value. They're not likely to appeal to joyriders either as they're hardly a hot hatch. That leaves the most likely thief profile to be a professional, probably part of a larger organised network, with the tools and attitude to take something . . . if they really want it, they'll take it. That's what insurance is for, it's best not to lose sleep over it.

Related; there are some hilarious videos on the 'tube from the US where a prankster deliberately rigs a car with various things to hinder/confuse a thief ("soiled" objects, intimate toys, little explosions of powder etc..) and then parks said vehicle in a dodgy place and monitors via secret cameras inside.

OK I understand now. First they somehow managed to get the keys, possibly by breaking into the house without disturbing anyone. Then they tried to start the vehicle. They then came to the conclusion that there was an immobiliser fitted; after all why else would a vehicle refuse to start? They then returned to the house, looked around all the rooms until they located the owner of the vehicle, again without disturbing anyone, and then threatened them to get the code. Presumably they then somehow silenced the owner to prevent them from calling the police for enough time to get the van to a secure location.
I guess that if they didn't already have them, they would also have no qualms about threatening the owner for the keys should they be locked away in a faraday key safe or whatever.

A determined thief, usually thieves won’t care about disturbing anyone, my sisters neighbours (Ford Focus RS) had their front door bashed in by balaclava glad scum whilst they were stood 2feet behind the door screaming at them, the police are usually several minutes/hours away and a knife/bullet could be quite persuasive I imagine!

Faraday cage’s generally don’t work, my next door neighbours M4 was taken in just over two minutes with a booster, despite the keys being in a faraday pouch, all caught on Ring doorbell! The culprits even came back a month later in the same Audi “support” vehicle, again caught on all our doorbells… we guess it was to see what he’d replaced it with, they are fearless!

My approach has always been secure the keys against being fished through the door by chancers, but have them accessible enough to mean a thief doesn’t feel the need to engage either me or my family… A ghost concerns me that they ask for the combination using threat or indeed actual violence!

I fear a touch of Paranoia has taken root in this thread as in the other threads on security.
Compared to other vehicles the liklihood of a theft of a California is miniscule.
Common sense should prevail.
1. Good insurance for road and camping accidents and theft. Not necessarily the cheapest.
2. Do Not leave valuables visible. With a hammer and big windows any druggie can easily reach the laptop left on a seat without opening a door.
3. If a professional team want your vehicle they will have it, keys and all.
4. Opportunist thieves checking for open doors are going to be easily foiled, even armed with a crowbar, if the vehicle is locked properly. The Deadlocks see to that.
5. Turning the drivers seat and deadlocking the van is a major obstacle and without the keys makes it impossible to drive.

Do you take the same precautions mentioned in above posts with any other vehicle you own?
I doubt it.

Good insurance and common sense is all that is required to thwart all but the professional gangs.

…….
5. Turning the drivers seat and deadlocking the van is a major obstacle and without the keys makes it impossible to drive.
@WelshGas: Just to be clear, when you say “deadlocking”, my understanding is that this takes place automatically with key fob locking, with a single or double push, but does not happen if you lock either with the key (in the passenger door) or with the drivers door lock button. Is that correct?

Last edited:
@WelshGas: Just to be clear, when you say “deadlocking”, my understanding is that this takes place automatically with key fob locking, with a single or double push, but does not happen if you lock either with the key (in the passenger door) or with the drivers door lock button. Is that correct?
On my vehicle 1 press of remote Door Lock + Dead Lock. You should see a message on the Dash - Safelock - See Handbook, if the Dead Lock/ Safe Lock function is available.

2 presses on Remote Doors Locked Dead Lock On then Off. You hear a double click.

Lock/ Unlock Button on Door vehicle locked BUT no Dead Lock.

Button on Drivers B Pillar, operated while ALL doors closed and Drivers Door Open - close door 1 press on Remote - double click - Doors locked but No Dead Lock

1 key turn in lock, doors locked + Dead Lock

2 key turns in lock, doors locked No Dead Lock and double click.

There might be some variation between vehicle models/years.

On my vehicle 1 press of remote Door Lock + Dead Lock. You should see a message on the Dash - Safelock - See Handbook, if the Dead Lock/ Safe Lock function is available.

2 presses on Remote Doors Locked Dead Lock On then Off. You hear a double click.

Lock/ Unlock Button on Door vehicle locked BUT no Dead Lock.

Button on Drivers B Pillar, operated while ALL doors closed and Drivers Door Open - close door 1 press on Remote - double click - Doors locked but No Dead Lock

1 key turn in lock, doors locked + Dead Lock

2 key turns in lock, doors locked No Dead Lock and double click.

There might be some variation between vehicle models/years.
Thank you, @WelshGas

I have nothing on my driver’s B pillar so assume that was done away with on the T6.1?

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is never leave anything of sentimental value in you cali (or any other camper, caravan for that matter). If its going to go then there isn't much you can do about it. Good insurance will cover most things but will never be able to replace a cherished and maybe valueless possession.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Now you’re just being silly ;) :D:D:D
Quite possibly. ;)

I know for sure I'm never moving to Belgium - the Cali crime there seems through the roof given their precautionary measures!

Now - does anyone know how I un-superglue tyres from the driveway??

A ghost concerns me that they ask for the combination using threat or indeed actual violence!
Which brings me back to my question. How would the gang know that a Ghost was fitted without first getting the keys and then failing to start the engine ? Even then, failure to start could be due to any number of reasons.

Has this actually happened, or is it anecdotal?

It's a genuine question because I had one fitted to protect against being stranded after loss or theft of keys when travelling.

Which brings me back to my question. How would the gang know that a Ghost was fitted without first getting the keys and then failing to start the engine ? Even then, failure to start could be due to any number of reasons.

It's a genuine question because I had one fitted to protect against being stranded after loss or theft of keys when travelling.
My take from this thread so far is the Ghost is absolutely no deterrent at all so won’t stop anyone damaging my Cali to gain access or breaking into my house. I honestly don’t see the point of it for my needs. Same for the bear lock.

whilst i can't say whether this has happened or not, it's certainly not within the realms of impossibility, if a determined thief has bust down your front door and located the keys for a high value vehicle, i'd guess that they've had experience of dealing with cars with Ghost fitted, (assuming the owner didn't stick the stickers in the window stating there was a Ghost installed), the perp then has to make a decision, do they just shug their shoulders and walk off? or come back into your house and demand you de-immobilise your car? my point was that i'm personally not comfortable with the second option, despite how small of a risk there is...

I've also got a Range Rover Sport which is massive target for theft, I've got (bloody expensive!) insurance and i'm well aware it'll cost me longer term if i had a claim, but for me that option is preferable the trauma involved in being threatened in the middle of the night with my young kids only a few meters away!

My take from this thread so far is the Ghost is absolutely no deterrent at all so won’t stop anyone damaging my Cali to gain access or breaking into my house. I honestly don’t see the point of it for my needs. Same for the bear lock.
Horses for courses.
Suits me perfectly.
I want to return from work and find it in the car park still. Ghost and tracker fit the bill

Horses for courses.
Suits me perfectly.
I want to return from work and find it in the car park still. Ghost and tracker fit the bill
I don't want to flog a dead horse on this, because Ghost suits you, but I'd like to say that if you have your key secured in your person or whereabouts they would never get as far as ever needing to do the keypresses.

Your piece of mind is precious, so it's clearly worth it, but technically, practically and electronically, without the key, a Ghost makes no difference at all. If you're worried someone will steal your key while at work, then fair enough.

Now - if you can explain how to put the enging back in I removed last night we'll be all square ;)

Last edited:
whilst i can't say whether this has happened or not, it's certainly not within the realms of impossibility, if a determined thief has bust down your front door and located the keys for a high value vehicle, i'd guess that they've had experience of dealing with cars with Ghost fitted, (assuming the owner didn't stick the stickers in the window stating there was a Ghost installed), the perp then has to make a decision, do they just shug their shoulders and walk off? or come back into your house and demand you de-immobilise your car? my point was that i'm personally not comfortable with the second option, despite how small of a risk there is...

I've also got a Range Rover Sport which is massive target for theft, I've got (bloody expensive!) insurance and i'm well aware it'll cost me longer term if i had a claim, but for me that option is preferable the trauma involved in being threatened in the middle of the night with my young kids only a few meters away!
100% with on the RR Sport, let them take it.
Not worth the hassle.

I’m after a bit of advice. The area I live in is generally low crime, however, there have been some camper-van thefts over the years. As I have a new T6.1 incoming I’d like to know what people thinking are the best security measures to put in place to protect your Cali from theft? Apologies if this has been discussed before. I’ve run a search and couldn’t find what I was looking for. Thanks!
Ghost 2 immobiliser, steering lock (Milenco) and apple air tags or tracker

I don't want to flog a dead horse on this, because Ghost suits you, but I'd like to say that if you have your key secured in your person or whereabouts they would never get as far as ever needing to do the keypresses.

Your piece of mind is precious, so it's clearly worth it, but technically, practically and electronically, without the key, a Ghost makes no difference at all. if you're worried someone will steal your key while at work, then fair enough.

Now - if you can explain how to put the enging back in I removed last night we'll be all square ;)
Not sure what you mean when you say key presses ?

When I’m away from the vehicle for several days on end. Which happens weekly and monthly.
The S7 tracker shows (and pops up on my phone) me if the ignition is started.
If the California is moved without ignition.
If the battery is removed. Lots of other trchnical information too.

I’m sure I heard there was a way to get around needing the key.
I’m spit balling now, so bear with me.
They break into the vehicle somehow, pick the lock, break the lock, they plug into my OBD and reprogram a key. And stop the alarm going off.
(Is there an audible alarm on a California Ocean ?)
They now have a programmed key and stick it in the keyhole and go to start the engine.
It won’t start.
As they need to do (to unblock the Ghosts blocking signal on the canbus) a combination of dashboard, steering wheel and window buttons.

If you lost your keys while travelling aren't you still stranded?

If you lost your keys while travelling aren't you still stranded?
Not so if you have a spare key hidden inside the vehicle somewhere.
If it is well hidden, it would take 15 minutes to dismantle something, but then you have a key.
To stick in the ignition and then disable the ghost 2.
And you’re away.
The only downfall and it’s one that might delay you if you have no phone signal and the VW Connect app is not working. (Use the app to open the doors)

Not sure what you mean when you say key presses ?

When I’m away from the vehicle for several days on end. Which happens weekly and monthly.
The S7 tracker shows (and pops up on my phone) me if the ignition is started.
If the California is moved without ignition.
If the battery is removed. Lots of other trchnical information too.

I’m sure I heard there was a way to get around needing the key.
I’m spit balling now, so bear with me.
They break into the vehicle somehow, pick the lock, break the lock, they plug into my OBD and reprogram a key. And stop the alarm going off.
(Is there an audible alarm on a California Ocean ?)
They now have a programmed key and stick it in the keyhole and go to start the engine.
It won’t start.
As they need to do (to unblock the Ghosts blocking signal on the canbus) a combination of dashboard, steering wheel and window buttons.
There is no way to clone a key like ours, re-programme a new key or drive a Cali away without the key that is in your pocket. Zero way. It's why they are so flipping expensive to replace now.

Everything stems from your key and everything else is FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) from other posts, the manufacturers and "a mate of mine said". I have scoured far and wide to make sure I'm not being an arse on Cali thefts, and can find zero instances without a key. You can stick a Ghost on it, a Bearlock, steering clamp, wheel clamp and a fake ODBC port, but without a key, makes zero odds. With a key, yes, all those are further deterrents. Me, I prefer to save the money and worry beads by keeping my key secure.

Yup, there is an audible alarm - I found this out when setting it off in France.

Note before offence - I fully understand the peace of mind all of this brings some and the nature of me pointing it out is tedious... It's hard not to get sucked into the fear factor and before ours arrived I spent a lot of time investigating and weighing up the options.

I’m still for extra security. When not parked at home it’s a no brainer. When parked at home I’ll either give them the keys or put up a decent fight depending on the situation.

There is no way to clone a key like ours, re-programme a new key or drive a Cali away without the key that is in your pocket. Zero way. It's why they are so flipping expensive to replace now.

Everything stems from your key and everything else is FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) from other posts, the manufacturers and "a mate of mine said". I have scoured far and wide to make sure I'm not being an arse on Cali thefts, and can find zero instances without a key. You can stick a Ghost on it, a Bearlock, steering clamp, wheel clamp and a fake ODBC port, but without a key, makes zero odds. With a key, yes, all those are further deterrents. Me, I prefer to save the money and worry beads by keeping my key secure.

Yup, there is an audible alarm - I found this out when setting it off in France.

Note before offence - I fully understand the peace of mind all of this brings some and the nature of me pointing it out is tedious... It's hard not to get sucked into the fear factor and before ours arrived I spent a lot of time investigating and weighing up the options.
That's to my opinion not true, from Dutch Police reports, VW Netherlands California trader and! tracking there were several Cali's stolen in 2021 without key, secured with Bearlock etc. I have had even a police tracker in my Ocean in 2021 (installed by the local police) since there were many stolen in the area where I live and by that they wanted a possibility to catch the (east European? )gang they suspected. Luckily for me they could remove it after the "dark" 3 months without anything happening! Unfortunately a Cali owner living 25 km's further had less luck....
But as others and I have posted earlier, if your Cali is on target, the only thing that helps is slowing down (by various means as steering/wheel lock etc) and a good theft insurance.
In the meanwhile I sleep very good and we are still enjoying the Cali as much as we can (also daily drive vehicle)

there are two things that matter to me the most in my world..My vw ocean and my wife. And thats why im the proud owner of a Ghost immobiliser an s5+ tracker with immobiliser a bearlock and a chastity belt...i sleep well at night...