Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Theft Prevention

My take from this thread so far is the Ghost is absolutely no deterrent at all so won’t stop anyone damaging my Cali to gain access or breaking into my house. I honestly don’t see the point of it for my needs. Same for the bear lock.
The Ghost is better when it's NOT a deterrent.

That's to my opinion not true, from Dutch Police reports, VW Netherlands California trader and! tracking there were several Cali's stolen in 2021 without key, secured with Bearlock etc. I have had even a police tracker in my Ocean in 2021 (installed by the local police) since there were many stolen in the area where I live and by that they wanted a possibility to catch the (east European? )gang they suspected. Luckily for me they could remove it after the "dark" 3 months without anything happening! Unfortunately a Cali owner living 25 km's further had less luck....
But as others and I have posted earlier, if your Cali is on target, the only thing that helps is slowing down (by various means as steering/wheel lock etc) and a good theft insurance.
In the meanwhile I sleep very good and we are still enjoying the Cali as much as we can (also daily drive vehicle)
While this may be true the challenge I have with this is it seems a lot of hearsay and second hand reports.

There may have been several stolen, and I'm sure Cali's have been stolen. But not without the key or a low loader.

Comments like "from Dutch police reports" (what reports?), several stolen (how many and where?), without key and with bearlocks (data?), suspected eastern European gangs (a phantom menace?).

The only thing that seems factual if you had a tracker in for three months and no-one stole your Cali. And you sleep well at night ;)

The rest feels like project fear. It's here all the time, a friend fo mine, or "lots of campervans were stolen nearby", but there is never any actual facts or reports (and the only campers I have seen stolen are old ones with chicken wire for ignition locks).

Slaapwel mijn vriend - peace of mind is priceless so everyone should do what works for them.

Last edited:
there are two things that matter to me the most in my world..My vw ocean and my wife. And thats why im the proud owner of a Ghost immobiliser an s5+ tracker with immobiliser a bearlock and a chastity belt...i sleep well at night...
Let’s not get into a convo about losing the key to the Chasity belt :Nailbiting

I’m still for extra security. When not parked at home it’s a no brainer. When parked at home I’ll either give them the keys or put up a decent fight depending on the situation.
Keith Lemon FIGHT !! !!

Nope, but this is not the place to explain why.
Well I hope you are not depending on We Connect and a hidden key because I can think of a few places where that won't work.

While this may be true the challenge I have with this is it seems a lot of hearsay and second hand reports.

There may have been several stolen, and I'm sure Cali's have been stolen. But not without the key or a low loader.

Comments like "from Dutch police reports" (what reports?), several stolen (how many and where?), without key and with bearlocks (data?), suspected eastern European gangs (a phantom menace?).

The only thing that seems factual if you had a tracker in for three months and no-one stole your Cali. And you sleep well at night ;)

The rest feels like project fear. It's here all the time, a friend fo mine, or "lots of campervans were stolen nearby", but there is never any actual facts or reports (and the only campers I have seen stolen are old ones with chicken wire for ignition locks).

Slaapwel mijn vriend - peace of mind is priceless so everyone should do what works for them.
Love some humor...but in The Netherlands we have a site where people can register their stolen vehicle and which everyone can see, (but not all are registered here)

Secondly I know from the dutch importer that Bearlock had to develop a bonnet lock because after research it appeared that the traditional earlock solution can be bypassed via opening of the bonnet, jus first hand info. https://www.busbeveiligers.nl/bearlock-motorkapslot/

Police reports; that was exactly the reason they offered to place a tracker in my Cali during the winter months.
I am a very common sense person, so no project fear on this side...
Naturally one may believe what one wants, I am not trying to convince anyone, just posting my knowledge of this topic.

Love some humor...but in The Netherlands we have a site where people can register their stolen vehicle and which everyone can see, (but not all are registered here)

Secondly I know from the dutch importer that Bearlock had to develop a bonnet lock because after research it appeared that the traditional earlock solution can be bypassed via opening of the bonnet, jus first hand info. https://www.busbeveiligers.nl/bearlock-motorkapslot/

Police reports; that was exactly the reason they offered to place a tracker in my Cali during the winter months.
I am a very common sense person, so no project fear on this side...
Naturally one may believe what one wants, I am not trying to convince anyone, just posting my knowledge of this topic.
Interesting reply. Having worked in NL I can attend to the factual nature (and humour) of my Dutch colleagues, so, sticking to facts.

1 - There are 8 campers on this site. 8. All are older models and half of them were from before 2019. As evidence I take a hard pass. "Not all are on this site". I hope not.
2 - That Bearlock had to fix their product because it could be bypassed does not mean much TBH. Nothing to do with Cali security or needing a key. Just evidence of a crappy product. More reasons to avoid one, if you actually needed one.
3 - "Police reports" is still not factual. What reports? How many Calis? Or just "campers" generic?

I'm all ears when there are some facts and data. Look forward to some. From anyone.

Interesting reply. Having worked in NL I can attend to the factual nature (and humour) of my Dutch colleagues, so, sticking to facts.

1 - There are 8 campers on this site. 8. All are older models and half of them were from before 2019. As evidence I take a hard pass. "Not all are on this site". I hope not.
2 - That Bearlock had to fix their product because it could be bypassed does not mean much TBH. Nothing to do with Cali security or needing a key. Just evidence of a crappy product. More reasons to avoid one, if you actually needed one.
3 - "Police reports" is still not factual. What reports? How many Calis? Or just "campers" generic?

I'm all ears when there are some facts and data. Look forward to some. From anyone.
Three of them are in my 25 km's range in 2019-2020...two were in the town I live (but not on the site) in 2021. (T6 models) I had the tracker placed in winter 2020-2021. You may have some trust in what a Dutchmen says, you know from your experience that we (mostly) don't beat around bushes.
Some of them were probably driven straight into a 28 ft container, in IJmuiden/Amsterdam harbour area and thus in a Cage of Faraday...there goes your tracking device. Again, not trying to convince you or anybody out here, just sharing knowledge. Maybe if we sit down over a beer I would share my info in detail. So when are you in The Netherlands again?
Ifg you are happy with your ghost solution, fine with me

Three of them are in my 25 km's range in 2019-2020...two were in the town I live (but not on the site) in 2021. (T6 models) I had the tracker placed in winter 2020-2021. You may have some trust in what a Dutchmen says, you know from your experience that we (mostly) don't beat around bushes.
Some of them were probably driven straight into a 28 ft container, in IJmuiden/Amsterdam harbour area and thus in a Cage of Faraday...there goes your tracking device. Again, not trying to convince you or anybody out here, just sharing knowledge. Maybe if we sit down over a beer I would share my info in detail. So when are you in The Netherlands again?
Ifg you are happy with your ghost solution, fine with me
BTW, If you want first hand info the beer has to be in 3 month...after that I will be retiring from my job and will not have access to that info...

Insurance is all well and good , but your cali has gone ? So you now have all the hassle of dealing with insurance getting the correct valuation and the finding a model and year and spec and condition like the one you had ,assuming it was not brand new like our 2015 model ( happened to me and what a complete hassle, do not want to go through that again with a caravan ) so i would fit as many security devices as you are happy with , I have a Ghost, Tracker , steering wheel lock , each to there own

When you say you’ve avoided trackers, I’m assuming that you’ve not signed up for an insurance that specifies having a tracker fitted?
sorry only just seen this comment. No we have avoided insurance quotes that specify a tracker. We didn't want the hassle or ongoing cost of a tracker especially as they don't actually prevent the vehicle being stolen. The Ghost is great. We are with Safeguard insurance. Hope this helps!